The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

I'm really wanting an Ibanez GB10 - it just seems like the perfect guitar. I've had lots of high end archtops over the years but always end up selling them and going back to Teles. I've played two GB10s over the years and both times was knocked out over the neck and the comfortable body size. I've got a lead on a mint 2000's blond version and I can afford it but am second guessing myself about 'should I?'. Am I a jazz player..no. I play some chord melody with pretty chords - don't care much about improv and I play a bunch of Chet Atkins/Merle Travis stuff and ragtime. I would probably go play some GASB stuff with BIAB backing tracks at the local assisted living places which, these days, and around here, would be my only gigging opportunity so any new guitar wouldn't be paying for itself as they've always done in the past. I could buy the Eastman AR580 that's listed on the forum for a lot less money and it's a real nice guitar but I've sorta got my heart set on the Ibanez. Or maybe I should just stick to Teles. What to do......what to do? Maybe I'm just going through a GAS attack and I'll get over it. HELP!!!!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Why do you like a Tele?

User Info Menu

Maybe you should design your own guitar. 10 times over until you reach the ONE.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    Why do you like a Tele?
    About all I've played (95%) since about 1972. I build my own - probably up to about #50 or so - every possible combination of woods, pickups, etc. that I can dream up. I've liked them all and they've made me a bunch of money over the years but I just keep getting drawn to archtops which I buy and then turn around and sell. Sounds like I'm talking myself out of the archtops and back to the Tele ..........again. Maybe if I just build one more super good one and call it good.......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    Maybe you should design your own guitar. 10 times over until you reach the ONE.
    Been there and done that - on about, at least #50 - got 5 bodies started in the shop right now. I've built one archtop which I ended up selling but thinking about maybe trying another one.

User Info Menu

I give up

User Info Menu

Get the Guitar ! it's only money.

User Info Menu

I like Tele because its the most "guitar" of guitar of the electric type. The sound.
    Like the most guitar of all is the "flamenco" type.
    But that's just me. I have a blunt and brutal taste.

User Info Menu

A lot of players prefer having instruments to having money.

User Info Menu

Love mine (2002 or thereabouts)... don't play it as much as others, but I'm 6'4", so it makes me stiff if I sit and play for very long, but man, what a great neck. I don't have issues with the ceramic PUPs as some do, but they are loud. Very versatile tones, but I could do with a GB15 (neck only) if I ever found one. Maybe. Not that big a deal. If you get it for a good price, you shouldn't have much trouble unloading it, if you lose interest, they are built like a tank, stay in tune forever, minimal feedback, almost as good as a 335 for sensitivity.

The real question is, can you afford to keep it, if you love it? Because you probably will. I just wish they made an attractive 16 or 17" version, same depth, same neck. I know there's a GB20 or some such out there, but they are weird looking to me, like the LGB models.... just off in form, somehow. The GB10 is such a good looking, solid, stable, great playing and sounding guitar. Betcha mine's in perfect tune right now, and I haven't touched it in 2 weeks, something I can't say for my 175.

You're looking for advice. Do it!

User Info Menu

I keep finding myself saying ….

the most important thing
    get the one that’s comfortable

I’ve got a tele now , I like it a lot
    its fairly comfortable (for me)
    i play it a bit

I had a nice 335 , sounded great
    ,stuck in my ribs, not comfortable , didn’t play it

Ibanez 16” laminate , comfortable !
    (for me) play it all the time

the sound and everything else about
    it you can sort out with mods ,
    set-up etc

go for the comfort , every time

User Info Menu

How To Justify?-img_3602-png

no likey ?

User Info Menu

How To Justify?-img_3602-png

no likey ?

How To Justify?-img_3604-png

User Info Menu

I find the 16” ones very comfortable

but sorry to put temptation
    in your way….

User Info Menu

This is something that only you can answer. If it were me, I would take the Eastman without question, but it's not me. We can't read your mind, fortunately.

User Info Menu

My advice would be get it.You can't buy it when you are dead and gone.You only live once.Besides you can always sell it and get most of what you paid somewhere down the road.This has been my philosophy and i'm happier for it.

User Info Menu

You don't have to justify.... you like it + have the money, that is the justification.

User Info Menu

Make your current guitar sound and others will want it the same way you want this Ibanez.