The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Posts 176 to 183 of 183

User Info Menu

There's a sideways connection between this discussion and the old theory wrangles--and it's about connections: between knowing-how and knowing-that, executing and understanding, doing and analyzing. Then there's the fact that talking itself can be satisfying--it's a very primate activity--as well as useful.

On the doing/teaching thing: I'm not much of a poet (though I've managed a handful over the last 60-odd years), but I'm very, very good at teaching/talking-about poetry. Because among my skills are reading, analysis (rhetorical, linguistic, historical, semiotic), and explanation. I benefitted greatly from time spent listening to the wisdom of a pretty formidable poet, as well as being trained by other teachers who covered technical matters. And by absorbing a considerable amount of poetry.

Similarly, while I do not write fiction, I can troubleshoot a story right down to the word-choice level (I'm my wife's first reader) because I have a lifetime's experience as a reader and analyst of prose of all kinds (teacher, reviewer).

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

"talking about music is like dancing to architecture" F Zappa

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    The famous quote is fun and all, but it's not true.
    Right, which is why I edited it

Thanks for pointing out the link, I'll check it out...

....so, I heard quite a bit of Christian's Anansi Blues album when he announced it here. Big fan of the title track, but it's all good jazz.

I'm also a big fan of live clips
    Last edited by Peter C; 10-07-2023 at 02:57 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rickco
    and yet I know few who could talk about it more eloquently than Frank

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    If you haven't you should check out the band-camp link in Christian's signature. (it only took me a year and a half to notice it, and as you probably know I've seen it thousands of times... :-)

You don't have to buy the album to hear it, but I like to support the guys that put good stuff out there so I contributed. There's some fusionistics going on in there. Dig the title track. It's a strong quartet. Christian looks sooo sophisticated on the cover!

The famous quote is fun and all, but it's not true. Seems like almost all the great jazz doers teach to varying degrees. Except for a few it kinda seems like you have to. And there's the doing good part: passing the torch and supporting the art.

I'm a music doer. I tried teaching decades ago but didn't like it. I worked part time as an artist assistant instead.
    Thanks C!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rickco
    I just read that Martin Mull was the one who originated that expression.

User Info Menu

This is true, but legato in jazz requires some work to make the notes sound good. (Power in the left hand)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mheton
    This is true, but legato in jazz requires some work to make the notes sound good. (Power in the left hand)
    you have to be able to do it time. In rock it can be a little slapdash and over the bar lines and it will still sound cool for repeater licks and runs (not that all rock players are like this, esp modern ones like Guthrie etc)… also in rock you have a lot of triplets …. but for jazz lines it needs to be in the 8th note pocket.

It’s good practice to just practice your left hand only with the metronome in general I think. It’s not about physical force but rhythmic and fingering accuracy.

Also phrasing. Being able to accent the upbeats in 8th note lines is an important aspect of jazz lines.