The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I was looking at the requirements for submitting scores to the WDR Big Band, and was surprised to discover that they will no longer accept scores that have a guitar part written in them.
    We were lucky enough to have the great jazz guitarist Paul Shigihara on this forum, who was their previous guitarist for 20 years, at which time the rules required that he had to retire, with a generous pension and full benefits for the rest of his life.

Now, if you want to have a guitar part in your score, either you or WDR has to hire an outside guitarist for that piece, and go through a lot of red tape to have the guitarist get involved in their recording sessions, rehearsals and gigs, get paid, etc...They basically strongly suggest that you do not include a guitar part in your score.
    They don't state the reason for this change. It could be economics, or a move away from rock based music such as fusion, funk, R&B, etc...
    They had a guy from Berklee for a short time; I don't know what happened there, but they'll still probably hire guest stars like Pasquale Grasso, John Scofield, etc...for concerts.
    Since I used MuseScore for all of my 70 jazz big band charts, I omitted guitar parts, because the guitar sound was so poor. But the website is so disorganized that they don't even have a valid email where you can contact them on, so I gave up after trying every email address on the website.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

just more creative stifling, pffft.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I was looking at the requirements for submitting scores to the WDR Big Band, and was surprised to discover that they will no longer accept scores that have a guitar part written in them.
    Wait a minute! Guitar players can read music now? When the heck did that begin?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    they'll still probably hire guest stars like Pasquale Grasso, John Scofield, etc...for concerts.
    that's still waaay more than what *any* professional big band in the US does for guitarists....

Quote Originally Posted by jazzshrink
    Wait a minute! Guitar players can read music now? When the heck did that begin?
    I didn't get that on first read, very funny!