The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi.

I'm really liking how (some of) the videos for JGO feature notation where an animated moving line scrolls thru the notation to mark the time and position.

Example:

Does anyone know how this is created? IOW, what software and/or techniques of production allow for that type of display?

I thought I would ask here first in case someone already knows the answer.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don’t know how Dirk did it, but you could easily play a score in Musescore (notation software) in horizontal scroll mode (which would give you the playback across the screen with the moving line) and capture the screen playback as a video file. Windows has tools to do this e.g. the gaming capture bar which I think is ‘Windows’ button + G (I have used it a couple of times).

Then you could superimpose that video under a video of yourself playing the same music, as long as you stick to the same tempo you could synchronise the 2 videos ok. I think most video editing software can do this kind of thing.

There might be a quicker/cleverer way, but that’s how I would do it with the video software I’ve got (Powerdirector).

Here’s something I did using the windows screen capture on a score in Musescore.

Hi grahambop. Thanks kindly for your reply.

The Blue Bossa jam sounds very good!

I notice that the Musescore horizontal scroll mode, as shown in your video, sort of jumps across notes (according to their rhythm, it seems) as compared to the very smooth line motion in Dirk's vids. FWIW, I prefer the latter. To me, it communicates the passing time/tempo better, and in a way that helps me understand and analyze together what I'm seeing and hearing.

Can anyone else offer a different take?

User Info Menu

If you google ‘videos with scrolling music scores’ or similar, there are plenty of youtube tutorials which come up, might be worth a look to see if any have the style you are after.

Thanks for the recommendation. Strangely, I was having a problem coming up with the "magic words" to produce a decent Google search!