The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 95 of 95

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    They held seances, and brought forth spirits. Ufology is a substitute for religion, in many respects.
    Yes. People cannot seem to wrap their head around the idea that "aliens" are just the spirit beings of yore. The quickest way to see "aliens" is to dabble in the dark arts. Ain't that strange?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

How were ancient monoliths built? This video argues that today’s technology is incapable of quarrying, moving, and manipulating such enormous stones.

We’ve all heard about this idea before. But this seems a particularly compelling presentation of it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    I suppose you could live underground. On Mars.

I’m not feeling it.

Tbh I don’t think Elon is either which might be one reason why he’s spending so much time on social media.

(Tbf that’s what I do when I’m miserable too.)

Otoh - Bezos idea might make more sense. But not much.

The thing that’s hard as a wide eyed science fiction nerd is to come to terms with is that so much tech futurism is built around inflating shareholder value. Things like fusion and carbon capture tech don’t have to deliver anything real to make Venture Capitalists a healthy ROI.

I feel it’s kind of charmingly naive and old school that Tesla actually make some cars and Space X launch some rockets. Bless!

At some point Elon realised he could just say mad stuff (by.. the end … ofnextyear… we will be able to download cheese’ *WILD APPLAUSE*) and because he’d done those things, people would buy it and the line would go up. And now we are in the world of Elizabeth Holmes…
    Musk is back in California for the lithium in the Salton Sea;

UFO's / UAP's - WTF?-lithium-salton-sea-jpg

That's bad news for Arizona.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Garrett
    How were ancient monoliths built? This video argues that today’s technology is incapable of quarrying, moving, and manipulating such enormous stones.

We’ve all heard about this idea before. But this seems a particularly compelling presentation of it.
    Huge if true. Do archaeologists share this opinion?

User Info Menu

Huge if true. Do archaeologists share this opinion?
    It seems like a largely ignored topic, or one that is quickly dashed off with “they probably moved the stones with logs” and/or “slaves”, as the video mentions.

This would be a great question to ask AI. Show us how they did it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    I respect some of the impressive science based discussions I've witnessed on these forums over the years, and I suspect that some of you guys are harbouring some thoughts about the recent hoo-ha that has made it's way to Congress recently regarding NHI's etc. It's a BIG story, whether it's a cover-up, or a psy-op, so let's hear your take on it all. FWIW, I'm skeptical bordering on agnostic, but will admit that part of me wants to believe we are not alone....
    Can these aliens (from another planet, dimension, whatever) fix my roof and clean up the weeds in my yard?
    If not, I don't want to hear about them. They can stay off my gravel.

This is a total PSYOP to distract people from news of a troubled world.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    Can these aliens (from another planet, dimension, whatever) fix my roof and clean up the weeds in my yard?
    If not, I don't want to hear about them. They can stay off my gravel.

This is a total PSYOP to distract people from news of a troubled world.
    People are already distracted anyway. So I don’t think that’s the purpose.

User Info Menu

My rather petite wife and I once moved a rather hefty tree trunk a considerable distance without any specific tools. In the moment, with a modicum of imagination and above all, time, you end up doing things that you won't see sitting in front of a computer screen. (I'm sure there are live, guitar playing parallels to this).

I hope you find this entertaining:
    Last edited by Peter C; 10-18-2023 at 07:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    My rather petite wife and I once moved a rather hefty tree trunk a considerable distance without any specific tools. In the moment, with a modicum of imagination and above all, time, you end up doing things that you won't see sitting in front of a computer screen. (I'm sure there are live, guitar playing parallels to this).

I hope you find this entertaining:
    Those weigh only 14 tons apiece on average. The ancient structures in question consist of stones weighing orders of magnitude more.

User Info Menu

Flinders Petrie - Wikipedia who pioneered many archaeological techniques was convinced the Egyptians had better drills & lathes etc than were available in his time - hard to argue against if you've seen the artefacts up close as I have, the notes he took whilst on various dig sites in the late 1860's are clear that the tool / drill / saw marks seen on some of the hardest rocks on earth couldn't be made with any technology known to him, as far as I know they still can't be replicated.

Disclaimer - haven't watched the video, first hit on youtube, if it claims aliens travelled zillions of light years to pile rocks up I'm out, but it seems unarguable to me that the knowledge needed to build many of the structures that exist all round the world has been lost..the Aztecs said the same to the Conquistadors.

Expedition Magazine | Ancient Egyptian Stone-Drilling

User Info Menu

"We don't know how to do it, so the only possible answer is aliens".

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Yeah, that's a whole 'nother topic, google Uncharted X for plenty more very interesting videos about all that. But the whole (sensible) Ancient Technology discussion doesn't particularly infer any extra-terrestial involvement.

User Info Menu

yes..space people it is...

perhaps on their next visit..they can cure the common cold...

many humans want/need to believe in cosmic heros..for various reasons..but the main one that is a large part of all is..saving us

now human belief systems omit logic in many systems...any questioning of doctrine is discouraged..some mildly some very strong-death to the non believer

this applies not only to major and minor religions but strong as well as fragile governments

with just these observations of human nature .. it would be fairly easy to "see into the future" and predict the rise and fall of humanity

so my question would be..do space aliens adhere to the concepts of love and hate..if not..why come here

User Info Menu

Meanwhile, real archaeologists get on with their work.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I haven’t seen anyone say that yet. Just the first part.

Still not refuted.

User Info Menu

The people who say 'We don't know how to do it" are not archaeologists, are they?

The people who say 'We don't know how to do it" are not archaeologists, are they?
    Not sure that's true.

User Info Menu

In 1982, while visiting the (then) new Solar Boat Museum at Giza, I wandered over to some Australian Archeologists testing their latest theory, Egyptian TV was filming them pouring fine sand between a copper tube & the walls of a hole they were trying to drill in the local sandstone using a kind of bowdrill* they'd rigged up.

The test was apparently sucessful, they drilled down at least half an inch in two full days, the copper tube was replaced a number of times because it was ruined in the process, everyone retired hurt with massive blisters, and no body mentioned that sandstone isn't granite...I pointed that out & was told it didn't matter because it was 'Proof of concept'.

I'm not sure what the latest theories are, the professionals don't seem to want to admit they don't know. I'd love to hear them tho' I spent a couple of months going up & down the Nile, side trips to every temple I could find, including the ones the loca taxi drivers told me not to go to because 'there's nothing to see'...I went anyway.

side note - I found the photos I took at the time about 10 years ago, they'd used two cords to rotate the spindle, twice the grip, more stable (spindle less likely to fly out & smack you in the eye), able to use weaker cordage. This is really useful if you like friction firelighting.

User Info Menu