The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 95

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    I came across one docu called "Unacknowledged" that describes the activities of a group who is actively trying to contact alien life forms by gathering in remote areas and group-thinking their openness to contact; the leader of this movement is Dr. Steven Greer. Supposedly, this activity frequently results in contact. Generally, they see lights and light formations that perform maneuvers our own flight technology cannot, but on one occasion they claim to have seen a humanoid figure.
    They held seances, and brought forth spirits. Ufology is a substitute for religion, in many respects.

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    There is even one story that is apparently documented by a number of sources in which all of the nuclear-armed weapons at more than one site went offline simultaneously, with no known external stimulus provoking the failure. Green suggests that extraterrestrials are more than curious, they are actually concerned about our use of nuclear technology.
    The Day the Earth Stood Still. Many UFO stories are remarkably similar to Sci-Fi stories.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    I do know that I find Avi Loeb really bloody irritating
    Oh really, you don't say?
    His arguments against Oumuamua being a comet are totally coherent.
    Careful that kind of comment doesn't backfire.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Oh really, you don't say?
    His arguments against Oumuamua being a comet are totally coherent.
    Careful that kind of comment doesn't backfire.
    I found him annoying before - the ‘scientists don’t want it to be aliens’ guy - which I think is completely untrue - but when he accuses the former head of flipping SETI of that I completely lose interest in listening to what the dude has to say. Which is rarely anything of substance anyway (as far as I can tell.)

Here’s the case against from someone more knowledgeable than me.

From her account he sounds like a sort of academic grifter tbh. Now I think he’s on the podcast gravy train. Naturally he’s been on JRE! (Tbf so has Roger Penrose; but I like Penrose haha.)

im not active in the field. I can say what I like.

Bottom line I tune into this type of thing for entertainment, I’m not a scientist. So with that in mind Loeb could be a legit discoverer of ETI and I’d still find him irritating… who knows? Annoying people do sometimes discover stuff.

Look up Fritz Zwicky Or bloody Fred Hoyle, professional troll who happened to do important work in cosmic nucleosynthesis…
    Last edited by Christian Miller; 09-29-2023 at 04:37 AM.

User Info Menu

Really I’m mad because my favourite dorky podcast got derailed into a UFO channel for about a month and then it was two weeks of bloody Loeb talking about his boat trip….

Happily i can report we are now back to in depth and important discussions of how Galaxy sized scissors can close faster than light.

User Info Menu

Loeb pointed out, quite rationally at the time, that Oumuamua had a bizarre shape (much longer than wide) and orbit, and showed no sign of outgassing or trailing debris. Its acceleration was also uncharacteristically smooth. Not a comet as we know it Jim.

I don't know what he's been up to since then, apart from some "tiny metal spheres" that fell in the ocean. Haven't followed that but, anyway, he's smart and articulate and doesn't seem to fit the crackpot profile at all.

User Info Menu

Loeb pointed out, quite rationally at the time, that Oumuamua had a bizarre shape (much longer than wide) and orbit, and showed no sign of outgassing or trailing debris. Its acceleration was also uncharacteristically smooth. Not a comet as we know it Jim.

I don't know what he's been up to since then, apart from some "tiny metal spheres" that fell in the ocean. Haven't followed that but, anyway, he's smart and articulate and doesn't seem to fit the crackpot profile at all.
    watch the vid, if you haven’t - it’s pretty much the sum total of my knowledge haha - and see if you agree or disagree (if you have time) I think she has a case here - not just taking potshots. You do have to pay close attention to what she’s saying tho and they are long vids.

(Like Becky Smethurst she’s pretty grounded. Anton Petrov is good too, seems to have good instincts. They all called it right on the South Korean ‘superconductor’ for example.)

She doesn’t follow the YouTube sensationalism template and I like that.

there’s a definite infotainment industry out there… Michio Kaku and the like… nothing wrong with it per se, the important thing is to know where that starts and real science ends. Some science communicators more so than others… it helps when people are young active postdocs doing actual research.

In a way I kind of have more respect for the obviously woo stuff, one can enjoy it for what it is. Some of the science fiction shading into science stuff is a little sketchy to me….

Loeb does seem to regard himself as a scientist rather than an science communicator, anyway I can simply choose not to tune in. The great thing about science if anything substantial comes up re ETI, everyone else will be on it like a shot (contrary to popular belief)…

I’m old enough to remember the Martian ‘microfossils’ haha - remember those fellas? Shortly after found to be extremely similar to non-organic geological formations so the conclusion (without further evidence) is that that is what they are.

If we followed Loeb’s rhetoric we’d still be holding out on them as positive evidence of Martian life.

it’s not that scientists don’t want them to be microfossils or are close minded about them possibly being microfossils - in the sciences if you want something to be true you have to be more skeptical not less. This is why he doesn’t pass my sniff test ultimately.

To characterise this hard nosed skepticism is close mindedness definitely rings the crank alarm to me. I doubt he’s onto much, but maybe I’ll be proven wrong!
    Last edited by Christian Miller; 09-29-2023 at 03:09 PM.

User Info Menu

for the hardcore ufo/etc junkie

Coast to Coast AM - Wikipedia

there are some on this show that could make you believe

way back when in NYC ..I would listen to the prototype of this kind of "ufo radio"

a guy named "long john nebel" would have guests from other planets and

the usual UFO/conspiracy folks and beyond

Long John Nebel - Wikipedia

its real if you believe

In India today there are many "holy men" said to be the reincarnation of the many hindu gods

one such was a guy Sai Baba who was said to raise the dead performed bi-location materialize many objects..and communicate to devotees in their dreams

he had (still has) millions of believers .. who dont care that it was revealed in public many times that all the miracles were just slight of hand tricks and his knowledge of an persons past
    was done with a team of researchers .. it was a good act and of course made him very wealthy and famous..a rare event in much of poverty heavy India

These days I doubt the Icons of major religions would recognize themselves today reading their own press

User Info Menu

She says: "(Loeb) suggests that because we didn't see a comet tail it's more likely that radiation pressure is the cause of the acceleration and the(n) jump(s) from that to ....so it's more likely that it's aliens" and lambasts what she perceives as the random, spurious nature of his all-too-brief scientific papers.

Ok, I have no idea if she has any personal agenda here, but will look into.
    Thanks (for now )

User Info Menu

She says: "(Loeb) suggests that because we didn't see a comet tail it's more likely that radiation pressure is the cause of the acceleration and the(n) jump(s) from that to ....so it's more likely that it's aliens" and lambasts what she perceives as the random, spurious nature of his all-too-brief scientific papers.

Ok, I have no idea if she has any personal agenda here, but will look into.
    Thanks (for now )
    Btw, i fleshed out my thoughts regarding Loeb above. Tl;dr he does have some decidedly cranky riffs ‘ooh science is close minded and arrogant’ is classic stuff. Being a Harvard professor and having a solid physics background obviously adds credence, but it only goes so far before you think ‘that’s kind of a bit like what my hippy mate said when I said crystals probably can’t cure cancer.’

I mean David Bohm did important work in physics (much more so than Loeb) and he ended up going totally woo… *

My main response to him is just not to listen to things he’s in. I don’t get the impression he has anything substantial to bring to the table - but if he does, we’ll know about it from something a bit more substantial than a podcast with a science fiction writer. so no harm done as far as I’m concerned.

In terms of his professional conduct, that is to some extent hearsay, I obviously don’t know the guy, and I’m not involved in the field as a professional, but I have to say he does not come off great in that video clip.

* you see all the time on the internet ‘Nobel laureate y said x therefore x is true.’ Even within the Nobel laureate’s field of expertise, this doesn’t follow.
    Last edited by Christian Miller; 09-29-2023 at 04:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    ...science communicator...
    I've always liked Ayn Rand's description of her
    character Dr. Floyd Ferris; the valet of science.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Betz
    According to the JPL, Voyager 1 is the fastest moving object we have ever created. It is currently traveling away from the sun at a bit over 38,000 mph.
    Here's something i found. Not saying this is definitive:

"The fastest speed by a spacecraft is 163 km/s (586,800 km/h; 364,660 mph), which was achieved by the Parker Solar Probe at 21:25:24 UTC on 20 November 2021."

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com...ovember%202021.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Here, Dr Brian Keating (Professor of Physics at UC San Diego) interviews Avi Loeb on the subject of Oumuamua, specifically starting at min 11:00, so that you can judge for yoursel/f/ves. Don't be mislead by the word "extraterrestrial" in the title; of course it's that, by definition!

User Info Menu

"The $100 million initiative intends to develop light-propelled nanocrafts that will get us to Alpha Centauri..."

I think they meant to say it's not us, but the bots that will get there.
    If they want to claim that sending something is "getting us there" then we've gotten to all the stars within almost a 100 light year radius (radio and TV transmission).
    If they meant receiving something is "getting us there" then we've gotten to all the galaxies in the observable universe (almost 100 billion light year diameter).
    If they meant sending something that sends back information to us, we've gotten throughout the solar system out to Voyager 1 which sends signals to arrive here (the diameter of the solar system seems to be a mystery*).

20 years to get up the project to launch status
    30 years for the bots to arrive at destination
    5 years for information to be sent back and processed
    ---
    55 years, so about 2078 before we know what's there.

Reminds me of a short story from the 50s where a space craft was constructed to go to Alpha Centauri carrying a crew in suspended animation on a 500 year voyage. When they arrived they discovered that the Earth had developed a faster than light system shortly after they left and had been making regular transits through the centuries, developing A Centauri to Earth level population well before they arrived.

* diameter of the solar system

The top site on a search vs chatbotAI show they disagree by a factor of 2000!

This site (a physics site,
    (the calculation verified as checked)
    How many light years in diameter is the solar system?
    calculates the solar system is 1 light year in diameter, plus or minus .5 light year depending on if one includes the Oort Cloud or not.
    1 light year is about 8760 light hours
    This is an Indian site; their space program just landed on the Moon

This site (chatbot AI)
    Free AI Chat Website - Talk to AI Chatbot and Writing Assistant Online
    "Calculating this gives us an approximate diameter of the solar system of about 0.00216 light years."
    That is 18.9 light hours, which is just about how long it takes for Voyager 1 to send us signals (but that transmission is a radius of travel, not the diameter which would be twice that, approximately) so Voyager 1 is about twice as far as where chatbotAI figures the radius of the Solar system.

User Info Menu

(the diameter of the solar system seems to be a mystery*).

most spacy things are based on theory..what else do we have

The Big Bang the size and age of the universe-my faves

sending people to Mars...now we're talkin..and that is all folks

see what happens when you watch too much Star Trek

Should humans survive the next hundred years..and we continue to explore
    Mars may be our prime source for expanded theory construction
    the effects on the travelers for the long term should be determined in that time frame

our space reality vs our science fiction dreams won't meet any time soon I fear

time/space/water/oxygen .. our limited body endurance and mental fatigue will hinder "far out" trips beyond our neighborhood

meanwhile..Earth may present some science fiction type scenarios of its own..many dont realize..we are already in space

life after death..think I'll pass..once seems to be more than enough

User Info Menu

What I find interesting is how the idea of UFOs or extraterrestrial life seems very like an Jungian archetype.

Somehow it bounces through everyone’s sub-conscience and conscience in such strange ways.

It reminds me of all the places Odysseus visited on his journey home. Maybe the conscience must take that trip to find home… however, Odysseus homecoming was a little violent.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    (the diameter of the solar system seems to be a mystery*).

most spacy things are based on theory..what else do we have

The Big Bang the size and age of the universe-my faves

sending people to Mars...now we're talkin..and that is all folks

see what happens when you watch too much Star Trek

Should humans survive the next hundred years..and we continue to explore
    Mars may be our prime source for expanded theory construction
    the effects on the travelers for the long term should be determined in that time frame

our space reality vs our science fiction dreams won't meet any time soon I fear

time/space/water/oxygen .. our limited body endurance and mental fatigue will hinder "far out" trips beyond our neighborhood

meanwhile..Earth may present some science fiction type scenarios of its own..many dont realize..we are already in space

life after death..think I'll pass..once seems to be more than enough
    The problem with going to Mars is hard radiation. The shortest one-way route exposes one to almost complete lifetime allowable accumulation, which means one dies on Mars, certainly no coming back. Shielding of the craft would need to be a several feet thick of lead - that's not happening.
    However, with the unexpected fast progress of the human genome project, it may turn out that the way to travel space is to take a pill that rebuilds broken DNA continuously as it gets busted by the cosmic rays. Who knows?

User Info Menu

True. And staying on the b*st*rd is no better. Mars has neither much of a magnetic field or atmosphere to soak up the radiation….

the older I get the more I tend to agree with Martin Rees…

User Info Menu

Life as we know it evolved inside the protective bubble of earth's atmosphere. Outside that atmosphere, survival can be problematic for us. I have no idea what type of atmospheres any extraterrestrial life may have evolved inside, if any. Nor does anyone else, because no one has ever found any such extraterrestrial life. If we do find it, we will learn an inestimable amount.

User Info Menu

I suppose you could live underground. On Mars.

I’m not feeling it.

Tbh I don’t think Elon is either which might be one reason why he’s spending so much time on social media.

(Tbf that’s what I do when I’m miserable too.)

Otoh - Bezos idea might make more sense. But not much.

The thing that’s hard as a wide eyed science fiction nerd is to come to terms with is that so much tech futurism is built around inflating shareholder value. Things like fusion and carbon capture tech don’t have to deliver anything real to make Venture Capitalists a healthy ROI.

I feel it’s kind of charmingly naive and old school that Tesla actually make some cars and Space X launch some rockets. Bless!

At some point Elon realised he could just say mad stuff (by.. the end … ofnextyear… we will be able to download cheese’ *WILD APPLAUSE*) and because he’d done those things, people would buy it and the line would go up. And now we are in the world of Elizabeth Holmes…

Downloadable Tesla cheese, yeah, I'd invest in that!

User Info Menu

The sweet spot in the solar system for mass human habitation may be Venus.

It seems unlikely at first when reviewing the surface weather conditions... the temperature at the surface is 740 K (467 °C, 872 °F), and the pressure is 93 bar (1,350 psi), roughly the pressure found 900 m (3,000 ft) underwater on Earth.

But at the top of the troposphere about 65 km (about 40 miles) up from the surface, the temperature and pressure reach Earth-like levels. That means the amount of atmosphere above that level is the same as we have on the surface of the Earth (because of the same pressure), so one enjoys the same level of protection from cosmic rays, meteors, etc.

The idea is to assemble a fleet of space craft in orbit around the Earth in the form of very large zeppelins, eventually as large as cities. The trip to Venus from Earth orbit is gravitationally "down hill" and upon arrival a slowly decaying orbit will bring the craft to settle and float at the top of the troposphere (again, because of the pressure, the atmosphere of Venus is mostly CO2 which is much heavier than the Earth's N2 and O2 atmosphere in the zeppelins).
    The winds at that altitude are about 360 km/h / 225 mph which carry the craft completely around Venus every 4-5 Earth days.

Because this level is above the cloud tops and because of the large upper surface area of the zeppelins, solar power is plentiful, yet none of it needs to be consumed to hold altitude, and practically none to control temperature. The surface of the craft needs to be protected from the corrosive atmosphere with a skin of Teflon or similar plastics that don't react.

The first ones would probably be more like smaller air bag with crew quarters hanging type zeppelins, later much bigger with all the interior available for living and working...

UFO's / UAP's - WTF?-cloud-jpg

User Info Menu

zeppelins you say...jimmy page has some work to do..

Im sure the guys at space research and NASA have explored all sorts of "what if" ways to survive in space and get to and from other planets

we are not propelled so much by science fact in this adventure as by science fiction..much more enjoyable and very possible..

and how far away is Venus in earth days

User Info Menu

Hasn’t Venus got a crap magnetic field as well, tho?

Which I suppose means you might actually need a lead zeppelin.

EDIT punning aside, sounds problematic
    Revisiting the cosmic-ray induced Venusian radiation dose in the context of habitability | Astronomy & Astrophysics (A&A)

Constraints on a potential aerial biosphere on Venus: I. Cosmic rays - ScienceDirect

Would need further data i think… maybe a balloon probe?

EDIT EDIT: holy crap I totally forgot the USSR sent balloon probes to Venus in 1986. That’s kind of mad

Vega program - Wikipedia
    Last edited by Christian Miller; 10-03-2023 at 03:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Fun video