The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Just another indignity of aging , now I have hearing aids. Anyone else need them? It's amazing how different solid wood guitars and laminated ones sound while using them. Without them I enjoy the tone of both but with them, the lam sound so much better. Anyone have an opinion? I know I know. B

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have wondered what kind of hearing aids might be best for musicians.

I'd like one that allows me to hear conversational speech and, at the other extreme, allows me to play in big bands or other loud environments without earplugs.

Sort of like a compressor, but selectively amplifying certain sounds while limiting overall loudness.

I don't know if this is a pipe dream or if it's commonplace.

Any info on what a musician should look for in a hearing aid would be appreciated.

User Info Menu

I'm gonna have to get some soon. The good ones are damn expensive, and I worry about what it's like to play with them. What's my experience of playing amplified going to be like?

So you find that things don't sound too ummmm... unnatural? Have you used them in a group setting? You say that you're hearing things differently. Do you like what you're hearing?

User Info Menu

Don’t sell your carved guitars just yet. Your brain will adapt. I have had tinnitus for as long as I can remember and hearing aids for the past 5 years or so. I just got a new top of the line set a month ago, and my hearing is still adjusting. According to my audiologist, my hearing profile is a bit unique in that my loss is moderate in the low frequencies but severe in the higher frequencies. So, with the hearing aids everything sounds different for awhile. My guitars sounded like they had a lot of fret buzz and harsh overtones. That effect is finally starting to fade a bit and they are sounding more “normal” again to me.We have a nice, freshly tuned baby grand piano, and I have not acclimated my hearing to it yet. I’m hearing a lot of overtones. In some ways, it creates a bit of doubt - am I only now hearing what is really there, or is this really a matter of adjusting my perception and making a cognitive shift? I feel like I should have a trusted musician colleague at my side to ask “is that buzzing really that bad”?

Be patient. It will get better.

User Info Menu

As far as things sounding natural goes , conversation is fine I can hear much better. The problem for me is high register sounds/tones have a shrillness to them that makes it very unpleasant to deal with. I can't wear them in a band setting as everything is just too loud and the highs are unbearable. I play in a band setting so infrequently that that isn't a problem, the problem is the tone of my guitars changes with the aids in and the solid wood guitars sound like shit. Amplified or not the tone is not pleasant , remove them and the sound is just as sweet as can be, although I don't hear at the desired volume unless I pick much harder and since I play with a very light touch/attack that changes my style which isn't desired. This is only a problem with my solid wood archtops. For some reason the laminated guitars sound fine though, I'm happy to play them so it's not like I'm stuck up the creek without a paddle. If anyone actually has hearing aids and has a thought or two I would appreciate hearing your views. By the way the new hearing aids don't squeal and whistle like the older ones and there are no batteries to deal with, which was the biggest thing that held me back from finally getting them . B

User Info Menu

Yes, I hear the harsh overtones as well and the fret buzz that's not really there also. It's only noticeable with the solid guitars though. B

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M.
    Don’t sell your carved guitars just yet. Your brain will adapt. I have had tinnitus for as long as I can remember and hearing aids for the past 5 years or so. I just got a new top of the line set a month ago, and my hearing is still adjusting. According to my audiologist, my hearing profile is a bit unique in that my loss is moderate in the low frequencies but severe in the higher frequencies. So, with the hearing aids everything sounds different for awhile. My guitars sounded like they had a lot of fret buzz and harsh overtones. That effect is finally starting to fade a bit and they are sounding more “normal” again to me.We have a nice, freshly tuned baby grand piano, and I have not acclimated my hearing to it yet. I’m hearing a lot of overtones. In some ways, it creates a bit of doubt - am I only now hearing what is really there, or is this really a matter of adjusting my perception and making a cognitive shift? I feel like I should have a trusted musician colleague at my side to ask “is that buzzing really that bad”?

Be patient. It will get better.
    Thanks for the reply Mark . I wont be selling them any time soon. I've had mine for three months now and I don't see any adjustment yet but was told it will take time. I recorded myself playing with the aids in and heard all the buzzes and harshness while playing, I removed the aids and played the recording and the buzz and shrillness was not there, put them back in and replayed it and buzzes and shrillness were front and center. I'm hoping time will work it out. Thanks. B

User Info Menu

Top of the Arch,
    I have high frequency hearing loss in my left ear. It began as a 21 yr old playing in loud bands, and later caught up with me around 60 yrs. old - along with other Golden aged aliments. I found a good Audiologist, and had several hearing tests performed to determine the precise loss. My hearing loss data was then downloaded into the program for my Hearing Aid, and adjusted accordingly.

Unfortunately, hearing loss cannot be corrected like eyesight, but today's technology has come a long way since the first hearing Aids. In my case, I'm fitted with a single left ear devise made by OTICON - its a state of the art technology with bluetooth controls on my iPhone. These devises can be programmed to enable many different peripheral settings, so its important to be patient and get the Hearing Aid adjusted for your hearing comfort. I'm also dealing with a hyper acoustic situation in the same left ear, which prevents me from being exposed to certain frequencies, or loud noses for that matter. Fortunately, I mainly play acoustic or thru my Henriksen Blu6 or Carr Super Bee ...at low volumes. The Super Bee has an attenuation switch which is quite beneficial for dialing in your precise tone, then reducing volumes.

I can honestly say, that after allowing my brain to adjust to the OTICON settings, I don't even realize that I have a hearing disability. I have it adjusted so well, that I have full symmetry /balance with right ear. The only time
    I notice some distortion is when putting a phone receiver up to my left ear. Besides that - other incoming sound waves sound normal. When playing guitar I do not notice a hearing disability - I think thats attributed to a brain acclimation.

My advice, spend the money to get the best devise needed to provide you with the quality of life you desire. Nothing is perfect, but the difference between a mediocre devise and a high quality devise is PROFOUND. In any case, be patient - your brain needs time to adjust.....its part of the process.

Good luck - you will get it worked out.

User Info Menu

I just got a new top of the line set a month ago, and my hearing is still adjusting. .
    Mind sharing what brand of hearing aid? Thanks.

Doug

User Info Menu

I can hear just fine in a band setting but it's a challenge in conversation. Years of playing in Hammond B3 bands killed my hearing, one guy in particular liked to stack a huge Peavey amp on top of his Leslie about a foot from the back of my head. On break I'd point it away towards him but he always put it back. Unfortunately there was usually nowhere else to stand in a small club w a small stage area.
    Once when I got a hearing test the doctor asked if I worked around loud machinery and I said yes, a woodshop during the day and in a band at night. She just frowned and shook her head....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I can hear just fine in a band setting but it's a challenge in conversation. Years of playing in Hammond B3 bands killed my hearing, one guy in particular liked to stack a huge Peavey amp on top of his Leslie about a foot from the back of my head. On break I'd point it away towards him but he always put it back. Unfortunately there was usually nowhere else to stand in a small club w a small stage area.
    Once when I got a hearing test the doctor asked if I worked around loud machinery and I said yes, a woodshop during the day and in a band at night. She just frowned and shook her head....
    I can imagine the damage those organists do on your hearing, Just looking at them fiddle around with their stops and dials, and then their body motions, you can tell that they're ready to let out a loud barrage of sound attack on your ears! It's almost like a football lineman waiting for the snap, and then charging at you with all their might. I hope you use earplugs.

I saw my first ENT last year, and he gave me a hearing test that found I had mild hearing loss, and then gave me some weird diagram of the results, which I still haven't been able to make heads or tails out of. Like you, I have problems with conversations, with the most common word coming out of my mouth being, "What?" Especially with the underwater sound of cell phones being a real PITA..
    I had a marathon conversation with a friend the other day, and didn't once say the word, WHAT? for almost two hours. Of course we both were using land lines.
    Back when I used to let the students jam down in the band room, it was a constant battle of me jumping up from my desk and yelling at them to turn down the volume and stop bashing the hell out of the cymbal. I'd wind up turning their amps around to face them, but I'd have to yell at the drum basher until he'd stop pounding the crash cymbal with all his might.
    During my first year there,they assigned me the worst job in the school. I had to sit there and stop the boys from trying to leave gym class before the bell rang for one period. One Special Ed. kid jumped over me and kicked me in the knee trying to leave before the bell. My reflex action was to give him a mild slaughterhouse in the back. I thought, "uh oh, time to look for a new job," but I wound up getting applause from all the kids that witnessed it!
    The special ed kid wouldn't report it, because the special ed Dean would literally beat the crap out of the kid for kicking me in the knee, and the kid knew it.
    That was back before the world went crazy.and stupid. I pity anyone trying to make a living as a HS Band teacher today. For the most part, they've eliminated music from the curriculum in the city. anyway, except for a few schools.

I

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I had a marathon conversation with a friend the other day, and didn't once say the word, WHAT? for almost two hours. Of course we both were using land lines
    I'm w you my man, but what's this "land line" you speak of?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DougB
    Mind sharing what brand of hearing aid? Thanks.

Doug
    Doug, mine are from a company called Phonak. They are bluetooth enabled, waterproof, & rechargeable. They can be synched w/ a cell phone for listening to music and phone calls. They have pre-programmed settings for listening to music, conversing in a loud, crowded room, etc.

User Info Menu

Guys, it’s a very good idea to get your hearting tested, both for your auditory health and your cognitive health. There is a strong correlation between untreated hearing loss and dementia. Take care of yourselves!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Top of the Arch,
    I have high frequency hearing loss in my left ear. It began as a 21 yr old playing in loud bands, and later caught up with me around 60 yrs. old - along with other Golden aged aliments. I found a good Audiologist, and had several hearing tests performed to determine the precise loss. My hearing loss data was then downloaded into the program for my Hearing Aid, and adjusted accordingly.

Unfortunately, hearing loss cannot be corrected like eyesight, but today's technology has come a long way since the first hearing Aids. In my case, I'm fitted with a single left ear devise made by OTICON - its a state of the art technology with bluetooth controls on my iPhone. These devises can be programmed to enable many different peripheral settings, so its important to be patient and get the Hearing Aid adjusted for your hearing comfort. I'm also dealing with a hyper acoustic situation in the same left ear, which prevents me from being exposed to certain frequencies, or loud noses for that matter. Fortunately, I mainly play acoustic or thru my Henriksen Blu6 or Carr Super Bee ...at low volumes. The Super Bee has an attenuation switch which is quite beneficial for dialing in your precise tone, then reducing volumes.

I can honestly say, that after allowing my brain to adjust to the OTICON settings, I don't even realize that I have a hearing disability. I have it adjusted so well, that I have full symmetry /balance with right ear. The only time
    I notice some distortion is when putting a phone receiver up to my left ear. Besides that - other incoming sound waves sound normal. When playing guitar I do not notice a hearing disability - I think thats attributed to a brain acclimation.

My advice, spend the money to get the best devise needed to provide you with the quality of life you desire. Nothing is perfect, but the difference between a mediocre devise and a high quality devise is PROFOUND. In any case, be patient - your brain needs time to adjust.....its part of the process.

Good luck - you will get it worked out.
    Steve’s experience is very similar to mine. I agree that the hearing aid technology has improved greatly in the past five years.

User Info Menu

Doug, mine are from a company called Phonak. They are bluetooth enabled, waterproof, & rechargeable. They can be synched w/ a cell phone for listening to music and phone calls. They have pre-programmed settings for listening to music, conversing in a loud, crowded room, etc.
    I had heard that there were rechargeable ones now. Sounds like yours does everything but dance the funky chicken?

Doug

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DougB
    I had heard that there were rechargeable ones now. Sounds like yours does everything but dance the funky chicken?

Doug
    I did the funky chicken the last five days. The ENT doc finally dislodged the rubber ear-tip from my left ear today! Damn that hurt!

Skyy Vodka!

User Info Menu

Unfortunately, I also need to wear hearing aids What brand is the best for musicians? Should I pay much attention to the price?

Enable GingerCannot connect to Ginger Check your internet connection
    or reload the browserDisable in this text fieldRephraseRephrase current sentenceEdit in Ginger×

User Info Menu

Audiologists dispense hearing aids for a reason-it’s a medical device that needs to be built and fitted to your individual need. Of course you can buy hearing aids online these days, like everything else. And I can tell you from experience that this is necessary. As a teen, when I first started experiencing hearing loss, a well-meaning family member handed down a used hearing aid to me. And while it did help me hear a little better, it just sounded strange, as the hearing aid was tuned to that person’s specific loss and just sounded…odd. Where as today, I am wearing top of the range hearing aids that have been tuned to my ears, not only allowing me to hear again, but to ENJOY sound. In fact, I’m watching/listening to this as we speak via Bluetooth and wireless hearing aids, thanks to Lambton Audiology and my wonderful audiologist/friend Kim Eskeritt. Having these custom-tuned hearing aids allows me to enjoy sounds like birds chirping, which I haven’t heard in decades. And I also enjoy fullness of sound range in movies and music -bass and midrange and treble. And while a $200 pair of ‘over the counter’ hearing aids might help me hear a little better in general, they won’t touch the quality of sound I hear via the personal settings and touch I receive via my audiologist.
    Last edited by benhatchins; 12-27-2023 at 03:15 PM.

User Info Menu

I am interested in OTC hearing AIDS. The market for them is starting to boom.

2 major players are Jabra and Lexie/Bose. Jabra of course has made bluetooth headsets for years. They are sold mainly through Costco, frequently (though not sure if exclusively) in conjunction with an audiologist.

Bose of course is Bose. I have a set of Hearphones from a few years back, which are ear buds that are noise-cancelling and noise-enhancing. You control the tone and volume with sliders on your phone. They are very cool, but a bit geeky, since they're wired ear buds with a neck collar. Not unobtrusive at all... I use them mainly for watching TV at low volumes or for blocking noise in the wood shop. They're as good as any Bose ear buds though for listening to music, which is to say excellent (IMO--I have a pair of QuietComfort noise-cancelling buds for general music duty.)

Bose made hearing aids for a year or 2 but have apparently licensed their tech to Lexie.

The Lexie/Bose products are ~$1000 give or take a couple hundred, while Jabra is a few hundred more than that. Not super cheap, but 4-5 times cheaper than the traditional prescription route.

I may finally take the plunge in 2024. We'll see.

User Info Menu

I've been told for a few years now that I've been told to get some, by you know who.

So bought a pair from Best Buy. They arrived and they sent the wrong ones. Odd, the ones I ordered had the same SKU number as the wrong ones they sent me. The store could not believe it when I returned them. But I did try them beforecreturning them. The biggest thing I noticed was I sounded different (to myself) when I talked. A bit strange.

Anyway, just re-ordered the pair I originally wanted. Glad I briefly tried the wrong ones, now I will have a comparison. $300 but on sale for $230. Can always take them back if they are too goofy to get used to.

The hearing test says my left ear can only be "brought back" to 85% but the right ear can be improved to 100%. I no longer play in a group so that situation is not something I need to figure out. Mainly conversation and TV "volume".

I shoot firearms competitively so that will be an interesting experience. Will probably just not use them during a match. My shooting hearing protection has a built-in microphone that shuts off during a shot or other loud noises.

Should be interesting....

Tom