The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 51

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I have a bass but don't play well.
    I know the feeling! I have the conceit that, as with dobro and mandolin and a few other stringed things, with enough practice, I could do it, but it’s harder than it looks.

I am amazed by bass players who started out as guitarists and played bass because “there was already a guitarist (or 2) in the band.” The famous example is Paul McCartney. But Tom Petty also played bass with Mudcrutch. How he can play and sing the way he does on a completely different instrument is a wonder.

I’m sure there are a lot of other examples out there.

And this is rock music, not even jazz. But the bass is as important if not importanter in rock. Without the rhythm, there’s just a rock, no roll.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think it was kind of a given for a lot of 60's rock bands that the bass player was basically the worst guitarist of the three when the band started out. That doesn't mean some of them didn't embrace the instrument and take it places, just that it was fairly commonplace.

User Info Menu

The only truth, I should say my truth, playing the bass correctly makes you a better guitarist.
    It doesn't mean you will be a good bassist but you will be able to know what you're playing on the guitar.
    Same thing with keyboards.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    I think it was kind of a given for a lot of 60's rock bands that the bass player was basically the worst guitarist of the three when the band started out. That doesn't mean some of them didn't embrace the instrument and take it places, just that it was fairly commonplace.
    Maybe not the worst, just the ugliest and/or most willing to give up the limelight. Cause everyone knows a rock band needs a good-lookin' guy on lead guitar out front. (Maybe not as good-looking as the lead singer, but not scare-the-girls-away ugly.) It was really only with prog rock that the average person even knew the name of the bass player.

Nowadays a lot of kids study upright bass in high school or music school, but back in the day I bet most bass players started out as guitarists and took up bass only secondarily.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    The only truth, I should say my truth, playing the bass correctly makes you a better guitarist.
    It doesn't mean you will be a good bassist but you will be able to know what you're playing on the guitar.
    Same thing with keyboards.
    This is exactly why I bought a nice "P-jazz" bass a couple of months ago. I have no desire or illusions of playing out, but it's been fun and helps me think about changes from a different perspective and will hopefully contribute to my harmonic knowledge and intuition.

Appreciate the comments regarding timing, not thinking like a guitarist, avoiding the phrasing freedom that we enjoy as guitarists. You will likely never see me on the bandstand with the thing, but it was that or a resonator, and this made more sense for an expansion into other stringy realms. Although, after listening to Metheny's latest, I think I really need a baritone, now.

User Info Menu

It was really only with prog rock that the average person even knew the name of the bass player.’

And only if the name was Chris Squire.

User Info Menu

My regular pianist can kick bass. When the regular bassist can't make it, the pianist can actually demonstrate the correct bass line for the substitute bassist.

I should be able to do that too, but I can't except in very simple situations.

The point is that, if you can't show a bassist what to play, you shouldn't be playing bass.

The non-reader in the big band probably didn't realize he was jumping into the deep end of the pool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    ...for better or worse!
    Ain't that the truth (even if it's probably often the fault of the guy at the mixing station if the bass turns into a primeval bouillaba(i)sse...)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yebdox
    This is exactly why I bought a nice "P-jazz" bass a couple of months ago. I have no desire or illusions of playing out, but it's been fun and helps me think about changes from a different perspective and will hopefully contribute to my harmonic knowledge and intuition.

Appreciate the comments regarding timing, not thinking like a guitarist, avoiding the phrasing freedom that we enjoy as guitarists. You will likely never see me on the bandstand with the thing, but it was that or a resonator, and this made more sense for an expansion into other stringy realms. Although, after listening to Metheny's latest, I think I really need a baritone, now.
    For the first time here someone understands what I say.
    Funny thing, maybe I'm going to play the bass in a big band.
    It's up to me... but maybe it's not.

User Info Menu

Another funny coincidence: Bass classical guitar? - Classical Guitar

Anyone here have an archtop bass, btw?

User Info Menu

Another advantage being a piano player. Bass clef, no problem!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Another funny coincidence: Bass classical guitar? - Classical Guitar

Anyone here have an archtop bass, btw?
    I used to have one of these. It was cool. Fender scale too, a tall guy like me with a 30” bass gives off too many Tiny Tim vibes. So I was glad to find something regular scale.

Ibanez ASB140BS Semi Hollow Bass Guitar Brown Sunburst With Bag - Used

User Info Menu

Sore subject for me here; in 35 yrs I've played with so many "so called" bass players, but at rehearsal time I could tell they're really guitarists, it knocks the wind out of my sails. The bass always has (or should have) a special relationship with the drummer; it's almost like a marriage (musically speaking) since the two are the rhythm section of any band. This relationship does not really exist with the guitarist and drums. As a guitarist, I can play behind or on front of the beat and not have a significant impact on the rhythm of the song, but a bassist cannot do this without screwing up the song. I've met only a few guitarists who are good or descent bass players.

Cheers,
    Arnie..

User Info Menu

OP's story resonated with me.

I had a guy about five years ago that subbed for my regular bassist. Told me "looking to branch out into playing more bass". We played the first song, a slow blues, and the dude couldn't stick the 12/8. I realized after our first song was over that he couldn't even play a basic shuffle. 10 minutes into a 3 hour set and I am officially out of material. To top it off the bartender says "bring it" lol yeah ok with this "bassist". I tried a fast shuffle but the dude kept geeking every change and blowing the rhythm.

Maybe I poured on the drinks, I don't even remember how I made it through. I just remember being pounding-on-the-dashboard pissed on my ride home. I wanted to grab the dude by his throat and beat his head against the curb for doing that to me. Nothing pisses me off like a so called musician with garbage meter who dares get on stage. Just makes my temper boil. I don't know why, I can't help it. And there are LOT of players who have garbage timing. Learn how to count, it ain't that hard.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    It's true, bass really isn't rocket science. The dude might want to be able to read tho before trying for big band lol.
    It's not rocket science, but maybe rocket art?

User Info Menu

^ To me, bass playing to most music is simple stuff which wouldn't sound that artistic on its own. It grooves, the fat notes are aesthetically pleasing, there is definitely some artistry to playing bass well, but I definitely don't think it's 'rocket art'. It's just a simple part that supports the band that can be somewhat creative. Now, the virtuosos like Charles Berthoud definitely take bass into rocket art territory, but I wouldn't say in general bass is rocket art. For the record, I'm a bassist. I play Hammond.

At DB: Yeah, that pisses me off too. In college when I was jamming a lot, I noticed that when someone couldn't play at all usually the other musicians would be accepting of it with a good attitude, but it always pissed me off too. Then it's one thing to jam with people and bring everyone down if you suck, but to sit in on a gig if you suck is just extremely disrespectful in my view. I'm not accepting of it either and it would piss me off too. Like go hit the street corner if you want to play like a moron.

User Info Menu

I'm having trouble believing that so many of you think playing bass well is so simple. Good (not even great) bass playing requires excellent timing plus the ability to precisely maintain a tempo. Notes have to be consistent in placement, attack, loudness, dwell, sustain / decay, tone, and so much more to support the dynamics and flow of the music from section to section. This takes a true understanding of what's needed plus the chops to deliver it. And it takes enough self control to avoid showing off until soloing. Even technically fine bassists can get too fancy and clutter up a tune.

Bass is the classic example of my guiding principle in hiring players. You need someone who cares at least as much about the music and the band as about his or her solos.

User Info Menu

^ You're right. Playing bass well does require a lot. I was just disagreeing with the idea in the previous post which said it's 'rocket art.'

User Info Menu

I think bass really relies on taste more than skill. As soon as someone learns to slap and pop they’re useless as a bass player.

But you can learn to walk a blues in a day and play well for life.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    I think bass really relies on taste more than skill.
    Yes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    I think bass really relies on taste more than skill. As soon as someone learns to slap and pop they’re useless as a bass player.

But you can learn to walk a blues in a day and play well for life.
    Good bass playing requires both taste & skill. And as for the slap & pop, I love it when Jonas Hellborg does that...

User Info Menu

Like listen to Steve Davis here. You mean to tell me that's extremely artistic even though he's playing really well? There is some artistry and skill that goes into doing that, but it's on the lower half of the spectrum.

Last edited by Jimmy Smith; 10-26-2023 at 01:57 PM.

User Info Menu

Another mystery solved.

Don't think that you can play bass just because you're a good guitar player-img_0572-jpeg

User Info Menu

Michael League’s take: “Bass is the easiest instrument in my opinion to get good at and probably the hardest to be great at.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    Michael League’s take: “Bass is the easiest instrument in my opinion to get good at and probably the hardest to be great at.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This sums things up nicely.