The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

In the James Bond film Goldfinger, Bond makes a nasty remark to the effect that the Beatles should be listened to with earmuffs.

Several movies later, Paul does the theme song -- which is a big hit.

And, the Beatles are recognized as the geniuses they were.

If a lot of people like something, one who doesn't like it probably doesn't understand it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    In the James Bond film Goldfinger, Bond makes a nasty remark to the effect that the Beatles should be listened to with earmuffs.

Several movies later, Paul does the theme song -- which is a big hit.

And, the Beatles are recognized as the geniuses they were.

If a lot of people like something, one who doesn't like it probably doesn't understand it.
    I have always assumed that crack was written to place Bond in a different generation than that of The Beatles\Rockers. I.e., the generation that grew up on music other than Rock and Roll.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    I have always assumed that crack was written to place Bond in a different generation than that of The Beatles\Rockers. I.e., the generation that grew up on music other than Rock and Roll.
    that's because it was. Connery wasn't writing his own preferences into the script.

At the time, the crack was not all that unexpected. There was lots of negativity directed at the Beatles' music.

User Info Menu

I disagree, just look at the modern top 40. How many of those acts do you love?

User Info Menu

You could find just as many people that hated the Beatles as those who loved them in 1965.It was mostly a generational thing.Jazz and Classical music account for 3 percent of sales today.Does that mean the other 97 percent are the ones in the know of what is good.

User Info Menu

At the time, the crack was not all that unexpected. There was lots of negativity directed at the Beatles' music.
    Again, the crack just used the Beatles' music to illustrate the music of a generation.

User Info Menu

“Love me do”, the Beatles’ debut single, was released in Britain on October 5th 1962 — as was Dr No, Bond's first film.

Love and Let Die, a book by John Higgs, tries to make something from the coincidence. As David Honigmann wrote in the the Spectator:

For Higgs, the Beatles represent Love: Love Me Do. She Loves You. Can’t Buy Me Love. All You Need is Love. Bond, a professional killer, represents Death: Die Another Day. Live and Let Die. No Time to Die. Eros and Thanatos are at war for the soul of post-war Britain. The contrasts are everywhere. The Beatles are northern; Bond southern. Boys like Bond; girls like the Beatles. The Beatles liked football; Bond is interested only in single-player sports. The dualities extend to minute matters of taste: the Beatles floated on a sea of tea, as anyone who has watched Get Back can attest; Bond (‘be a good girl and make me some coffee’) considered it ‘one of the main reasons for the downfall of the British Empire’.

I think Kenny G is relevant. Most jazz players, from what I gather, don't like him.

But, he has a lot of fans.

He doesn't speak to me, but it's clear that he speaks to them. So, there's something I don't get about his music. Good, bad, or indifferent is in the ear of the beholder, but I don't dismiss that kind of connection with people.