The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hey everyone,

I am pretty new to the jazz world, and I am honestly pretty new to guitar. I really love the tones of things like lo-fi hip hop, and neo-soul, and some of the r&b. I really want to learn how to get into jazz to improve my ability to make lofi hip hop that is interesting, and draws from the roots of jazz. I like artists like Emily Remler and Joe Pass, but beyond this I really have no idea what to start learning, what techniques I need, what tones are to be sought after or anything like that. I was hoping I could be pointed in the right direction by some people who have been in the game for awhile. any help would be so appreciated.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I’m the same. And having tried to find the “sound” by studying jazz, my conclusion is that jazz is jazz and that cool stuff we like is something else.

That something else includes jazzy chords and some jazzy lines… but I eventually progressed by playing old funk and r&b, then started adding in fragments of hip chords.

Study The Meters, Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield, Stevie Wonder. Then, you will start hearing what D’Angelo is doing…

And most of that elaborate neo-soul guitar stuff is R&B vocal lines interpreted on guitar. Listen to H.E.R. and transcribe the vocals. Same for D’Angelo backup harmonies.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Dreamcity, from what you say you like, in general, I think you might enjoy (piani/keyboard player) some of Robert Glasper's music, especially his band named "Experiment". Check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by frabarmus
    Dreamcity, from what you say you like, in general, I think you might enjoy (piani/keyboard player) some of Robert Glasper's music, especially his band named "Experiment". Check it out!
    Looking into it now! Thank you!

Sounds like I need to listen to a lot more RnB than I was anticipating. Thank you for your post!

thank you!!