The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi all!
    I was wondering whether any of the UK members might have access to the BBC 3 'Jazz Library' podcast by Alyn Shipton? BBC Radio 3 - Jazz Library
    It is a phenomenal podcast, with every episode featuring the biography and musical style of a famous and influential jazz musician. I listened to almost every episode about 8 years ago when I was living in the UK, but now the conent is either gone or maybe just not accessible from my current location in Europe.
    If anyone knows how to access it or has a few downloaded episodes to share, I'd highly appreciate it!!
    Cheers!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm in the UK and a licence payer. I checked, and unfortunately I can't access it either

User Info Menu

Doesn't work for me in the UK on my iPad ('does not play on this device' - thanks Apple), but I can get at least some of them to play on my windows PC.

You could try a laptop/desktop (not Apple!) and if outside the UK, use one of those VPN software things (I don't know much about them).

Some of it is weird though. The Miles Davis one is 'not available' even on my PC. The Hampton Hawes one wants me to set up a parental guidance lock and PIN number because it 'contains behaviour which could be imitated!' (although you can override this).

It's ok BBC, I have no plans to become a junkie like Hamp just because I listened to one jazz podcast!

User Info Menu

On my Android phone, it wants me to sign in to my BBC account first (which I already have), but then says 'not available on this device'!

However there is also a 'downloads' page which does let me download some on my phone as podcasts and play them that way.

All very confusing.

Edit: I tried the ‘downloads’ page on my ipad too and it worked, the podcasts download as mp3s and can be located and played in the ‘files’ icon.

BBC Radio 3 - Jazz Library - Downloads
    Last edited by grahambop; 08-29-2023 at 03:05 PM.

Thanks a lot for the responses, guys!
    When I try the download link, it throws a 'geolocation' error, so maybe one of those VPN apps will work indeed. Haven't used one either but will give it a try.
    The warning about 'containing behaviour which could be imitated!' is too funny, you could say that about quite a few musicians biographies

User Info Menu

Thanks for the heads-up anyway, I didn’t realise these were all online. I do remember hearing a few of them over the years.

Incidentally there are several guitar episodes, i.e.
    John Etheridge
    Gypsy jazz guitarists
    Mike Stern (in person)
    Barney Kessel
    John Scofield (in person)
    Bill Frisell
    Joe Pass
    Wes Montgomery
    Django Reinhardt
    Pat Metheny (in person).

John Etheridge is with Alyn in a lot of these episodes, so it should be interesting to hear his insights.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fakejazz
    Thanks a lot for the responses, guys!
    When I try the download link, it throws a 'geolocation' error, so maybe one of those VPN apps will work indeed. Haven't used one either but will give it a try.
    I use Windscribe - Free VPN and Ad Block among others - no affiliation, I just signed up for a free 10gb pm trial & kept it.

They keep giving me higher download limits, I guess because I rarely use it...

I get to watch movies, read the news etc. from wherever I want which is cool...