The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Are all dogs afraid of fireworks/thunderstorms or just domesticated dogs?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    Are all dogs afraid of fireworks/thunderstorms or just domesticated dogs?
    My dog Izzball doesn't care too much, maybe except for the sudden quick bang of an M80, that might get an angry "the fuck was that?" bark out of her.

Her true nemeses are an unbalanced load in the washer and the mailman.

Her predecessor Benson was generally unbothered by fireworks, but hated thunderstorms with a passion. And the vacuum cleaner.

User Info Menu

My dog is not afraid of them - she is angry at them. When there is a thunder she wants to go outside and then starts angrily barking while looking upwards. She wants to tell the thunder to shut up so she can sleep.

But I know that many domesticated dogs are afraid of these things - so your question is an interesting one.

Long weekend in Canada - fireworks last night. I heard upset dogs from a direction where no one lives and wondered if the coyotes were angry/afraid. Definite barking though, not hooting and partying like they normally do. Perhaps the wind was playing tricks with the direction of the sound.

User Info Menu

I knew one that got so freaked about the unbalanced washer that he refused to go in the basement ever again. In fact, even if the machine was not unbalanced he'd get all squeaky and worried. "There's a monster in the basement!!" They'd put him in the backyard on laundry day.

He was a big lethargic guy who wasn't bothered by much else... except fireworks.

User Info Menu

this is sore subject as a few yrs ago one of my best friends dog got wigged out by 4th of July fireworks, ran away from home and got run over by a car a few blocks away. she was still alive when he got the phone call from his neighbor but he had to have her put down as her back was broken. sad.....

User Info Menu

My furry friend is terrified of fireworks, so I'm already making a plan for New Year's Eve to ensure he feels safe and protected. To add to the challenge, he's also dealing with an awful allergy, which piles up on top of his anxiety. I'm currently looking to buy apoquel online canada and hoping that it will work to provide him with some relief. Managing a pet's fear of fireworks, especially combined with health issues like allergies, can be a delicate balance.
    Last edited by benhatchins; 12-25-2023 at 05:12 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm not a dog, but fireworks scare me. Hate them. Always have. Generally, though, I live a dog's life.

User Info Menu

Either way it is said that you shouldn't try to console them because they would interpret that as a confirmation of whatever their exact emotion is.

User Info Menu

My Newfie ignores them, my Uber Dachshund (half chocolate lab, he looks like a dachshund on steroids) gets antsy but stops if you ignore him running around, as RJVB noted. Other dogs we had in the past completely lost it though, but also freaked out when someone burned something in the oven and the fire alarms went off. Neither of my current 2 are bothered by that.

User Info Menu

Ours doesn't care. The only thing is that it doesn't like is to be in the rain. Won't go outside voluntarily.

User Info Menu

No, certainly not. Depends largly on the bread of dog and the individual dog. Labrador retrievers or retrievers in general can be trained as a gamedog and being (very) close to fire guns/fireworks. I have had a labrador once that was highly trained as a gamedog and was very comfortable in sitting out on a open square next to fireworks less than 10m from here. She was very releaxed with that. Just sat there on her butt, without a leash. No stress whatsoever. I now have a Jack Russel and she does not like the fireworks at all. We have to give her some some "homeopathie" kind of dope to calm down her stress when the newyear time is near. She is already afraid of heavy rain. When thunder occurs, she wants/needs to sit down next to the big man (me, being her top dog) on her special "bad weather rug" less than 1 meter from me away in order to keep her as much stress reduced as possible.

User Info Menu

So it depends
    Last edited by Peter C; 12-22-2023 at 07:46 PM.