The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have a few go-to radio stations that I alternate between; WWOZ, "Blues and Roots Radio" (which has a nice mix of "roots"/traditional music from different places all over the world), and "Blues Connection".

The latter has been out of the ethernet since a few months now, in fact since I finally got myself a decent speaker for background music in the part of the house where I spend a lot of time since our move. I have no idea if their disappearance was announced during the time I rarely if ever listened, but it seems they just dropped out.

If anyone listened to this streaming station, what alternatives are there? They had a little bit of the "too heavy" (electric) kinds of blues to my taste but I rarely hear that on my other stations ...

PS - I'd listen to Spotify on that rig but the old iPhone that acts as a source is no longer supported by Spotify (grrr)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Program Schedule • KKFI

My local community radio station has blues (and r&b) every weekday from 2 - 6 CDT.
    They archive their shows for two weeks and post live playlists.

Also this:
    American Routes

User Info Menu

Thx, I'll check out KKFI.

I had a look at American Routes and am not sure I get it. Is this a sort of collaborative effort between the listed stations or do they all rebroadcast the same programme (in which case it's strange that I can't find a streaming feature on the site)?

User Info Menu

This is the latest show. Go down the page and there are links to listen to the first or second hour along with the playlists.

New Orleans Traditional Jazz Live with Dr. Michael White and the Original Liberty Jazz Band-Jazz Manouche from Christine Tassan et les Imposteures

Here is the archive page with year and month links.

Archives For 8/2023

edit: seems to be for the current year only.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I found those. I'm really more looking to a streaming station that "airs" mostly music, no endless talk shows and not 5" or more of ads at least 3x an hour (that's why I rarely listen long to our local TSF Jazz station).

BTW, the Dutch Concertzender has a number of nice thematic channels that are selective reruns of their weekly live programme. They have "generic jazz", hard bob, "The Big Sound" (presumably big band but TBH I never listened) plus something called "Jazz Not Jazz". No blues, sadly (but they do have an ambient-like-sounds channel, "The Heard Silence").
    Themakanalen | Concertzender | Klassiek, Jazz, Wereld en meer

User Info Menu

Starting just now: The Blues Ball - KSDS San Diego

Listen to Jazz Radio

Ron's weekday jazz show is even better.