The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hey.

For left-handed players - is it cumbersome to read right-handed fretboard diagrams or
    can you get used to those easily?

I have a few students that say it's ok but hm. This makes me worry a bit.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

As a young lad I started reading rock and folk songbooks with RH chord diagrams so I got used to them. Also started playing RH guitars left handed for a long time until I restrung them. I think some of us leftists have internalized the mental gymnastics. Same with full length fretboard diagrams.

Decades later I tried an app (BIAB I think) that allows you to switch to LH fretboard diagrams. Damn it confused me! So rather than re-learning what would be a logical process I stick w/ what I know. Besides, all methods are RH. As a jazzer these days I ignore diagrams if provided.

So...your students might have figured it out already. However, if some rely on the lefty diagram, then you should warn them that methods and songbooks are RH.

Thanks. Worry lifted

User Info Menu

It's a non issue. In fact, reversing stuff for a student is actually doing them a disservice, as every resource they will run into later on will be written for RH players.