The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Interesting to se that Portnoy's Complaint is hitting "pizza" in New York

Rightwingers say ‘pink-haired liberals’ are killing New York pizza. Here’s what’s really happening | Pizza | The Guardian

. . . . Although .
    As a former resident of Lygon Street in Melbourne, the true home of Pizza downunder I have to say that the images I have seen look more like an American version of Welsh Rarebit rather than true Italian Pizza!

Ducking for cover now

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

More rules, more regulations. One more demand to drive up the price of doing business. Death by a thousand cuts. I would welcome a quality NYC wood fired pizza joint here in TX. The pizza sucks so bad the market would be yours for the taking and you won't need a filter, you won't pay state income taxes, and you'll get more house for less money. Win-win.

We are getting 100k+ Californians per year to TX. 111k last year. Bringing money and gigs and more vineyards my way. I owe the morons running those states a thank you. Don't get me wrong, morons run Texas too but they aren't anti business morons, just the regular kind.

User Info Menu

I've lived in NYC all my life and i know a pizza shop owner that had this done and he told me it was no big deal and the pizza still is the same.Just a bunch of empty barrels with too much time on their hands having to complain about something.There's plenty of real problems in New York to address,trust me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone
    More rules, more regulations. One more demand to drive up the price of doing business. Death by a thousand cuts. I would welcome a quality NYC wood fired pizza joint here in TX. The pizza sucks so bad the market would be yours for the taking and you won't need a filter, you won't pay state income taxes, and you'll get more house for less money. Win-win.

We are getting 100k+ Californians per year to TX. 111k last year. Bringing money and gigs and more vineyards my way. I owe the morons running those states a thank you. Don't get me wrong, morons run Texas too but they aren't anti business morons, just the regular kind.
    You clearly don't know what is going on in your own state of Texas with regards to how Governor Abbott is treating businesses, especially corporations that don't tow-the-line when it comes to the culture-wars. Look up the TX Chamber of Commerce complains about Abbott. E.g. fining businesses that assist a woman in going out of state to get an abortion.

Both Dems and GOPers are now trying to control businesses but just for vastly differently reasons.

PS: And how about that battle between Abbott and Lt. Governor Dan Patrick. One for the ages!
    Last edited by jameslovestal; 06-29-2023 at 03:05 PM.

User Info Menu

First world problems!

User Info Menu

I hear in Texas you don't even need coal-fired ovens, just put the dough on the ground and it will cook in 3-5".

User Info Menu

We are blessed with good pizza of several varieties here in Omaha, including Pitch, started by one of the cofounders of Godfather's. (I guess he had to atone for that.) We also have NYC style pizza. And Neapolitan pizza. And so on.

What is isn't is cheap. But, everything's expensive these days. Still nothing better than a good pepperoni/mushroom pie, IMO.

User Info Menu

I was in the pizza business for many years. I always used a gas oven and think that the polluters that use wood or coal should clean up their mess. The outrage over this is misguided. But Dawgbone is correct that small businesses in the blue States are being destroyed by overregulation. All of which moves market share to the deep pocketed big players.

And James is correct that we are now seeing cancel culture on the right. What ever happened to agreeing to disagree?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    You clearly don't know what is going on in your own state of Texas with regards to how Governor Abbott is treating businesses, especially corporations that don't tow-the-line when it comes to the culture-wars. Look up the TX Chamber of Commerce complains about Abbott. E.g. fining businesses that assist a woman in going out of state to get an abortion.

Both Dems and GOPers are now trying to control businesses but just for vastly differently reasons.

PS: And how about that battle between Abbott and Lt. Governor Dan Patrick. One for the ages!
    I do know what's going on here thanks.

Abortion is illegal here. I am satisfied with that, so is most of the state. I don't have sympathy for big corporations and I can't make the brain leap that equates abortion with requiring a wood fired pizza oven to have a filter when it comes to fines and running a business, if that is whats being implied.

No doubt some forum member is upset by that but abortion, gun control, breed specific legislation, pride days at public schools, and attempts at eminent domain are just not very popular topics here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone
    I do know what's going on here thanks.

Abortion is illegal here. I am satisfied with that, so is most of the state. I don't have sympathy for big corporations and I can't make the brain leap that equates abortion with requiring a wood fired pizza oven to have a filter when it comes to fines and running a business, if that is whats being implied.

No doubt some forum member is upset by that but abortion, gun control, breed specific legislation, pride days at public schools, and attempts at eminent domain are just not very popular topics here.
    I was just trying to show that, at the state-level, both political parties create regulations and legislation that drive up the cost of doing business (one of your main complaints related to pizzas and the banning of gas ovens). E.g., if a company decides to pay an employee to travel out of state so they can obtain an abortion or pay for the abortion (since the company's health insurance plan no longer covers the service) that drives up the cost of doing business. Note that this is just one example related to Texas: Electric generation is another on. The Texas lead GOP government not allowing the importation of electricity has resulted in blackouts.

Maybe this will help you connect the dots.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    I was just trying to show that, at the state-level, both political parties create regulations and legislation that drive up the cost of doing business (one of your main complaints related to pizzas and the banning of gas ovens). E.g., if a company decides to pay an employee to travel out of state so they can obtain an abortion or pay for the abortion (since the company's health insurance plan no longer covers the service) that drives up the cost of doing business. Note that this is just one example related to Texas: Electric generation is another on. The Texas lead GOP government not allowing the importation of electricity has resulted in blackouts.

Maybe this will help you connect the dots.
    There are no dots to connect. What you are saying is if you want to pay for some irresponsible employee's abortion, someone who was too dumb to use birth control which is sold at every gas station between here and Ding Dong Texas, then you, as a business owner, have a choice to do that. It's just not going to be here. You choose to drive up the cost of doing business whereas the pizza owner does not have a choice of whether they will install the filter or not. You're making bad comparisons.

The infrastructure thing here is going to be a problem regardless of who is running the show. To many people have moved here too quickly. The planning that was done did not take the continued level of growth into account because it wasn't anticipated on that level. In 2011 Austin was around 600k. Now's it's a million. It would've been considered unrealistic to presume that would happen. And that's just Austin. The best planning by either side would not have resulted in a different scenario.

I am somewhat rural, so there is very weak infrastructure. I can be, and have been, trapped by flash floods in my neighborhood. I had no power or water for a week during the "vortex" and last christmas I came home to no power or water after a gig for several days over the holiday. I had a nasty ice storm this spring that took down many trees and damaged my fencing. I just dealt with a ten day boil water notice. I don't know if you are familiar with country living but instead of expecting someone from the government to run in and save me I have a generator, fuel, a 1200 gallon water tank, a wood stove, and a lot of fire wood cut. I also make sure I have food, alcohol, cigs, and ammo stocked for those times. I have 30 chickens and an incubator and shoot enough deer to last all year plus run a small garden. I have a large kettle for boiling water and de-feathering birds. An air compressor and a welder are also a good idea if you are very rural. I don't need, nor do I want to pay for great infrastructure via taxes. I was mad when they paved my road. I like dirt. Strangers didn't prowl my road when it was dirt. I am still paying about $350 yearly for that, plus increased property taxes. I didn't pull a single permit to build this place, I just ordered 2x6's and started building. I'll take the trade off of bad infrastructure. Keeps the HOA types out. Thanks for listening.