The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 121 of 121

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    “Mare” is binge worthy. There is a county in Pennsylvania called Delaware county. “Delco” to the locals. Kate Winslet nails the local accent. I know quite a few folks from that area. Kate also took a shining to Wawa which is a chain of convenience stores in that region with a cult like following. When in Rome.
    So popular that Harrison wrote a song about it…

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Television-img_2902-jpg

Duke Ellington cameo in the Dick Van Dyke episode.

User Info Menu

I haven't watched TV for decades, so I'm an outsider in this discussion, but I can offer an observation. There are some "forms" for shows, the first of which I came to notice is where there are three main characters with specific attributes:

- central character, the leader, some kind of authority
    two side kicks
    - there is a second character that typically looks/acts a little weird/goofy, has some peculiarity in appearance, unusual sounding name, and some kind of special knowledge
    - there is a third character with a nickname, professional often some medical aspect
    The side kick characters fuss and antagonize each other.

Examples...

Gunsmoke
    Matt Dillon - Marshall
    Festus - goofy, ears, rural wisdom
    "Doc" - medical man with nickname

Star Trek
    James Kirk - Captain
    Spock - weird, ears, science wisdom
    "Bones" - medical man with nickname

Cheers
    Sam - Cheers bar owner
    Cliff - goofy, ears, trivia wisdom
    "Norm" - accountant, chorus of "Norm!" is self same nickname

Seinfeld
    Jerry - ring leader and authority on life
    Kramer - goofy, name (Cosmo), bizarre wisdom
    George - medical aspect is "inverted" (hypochondriac), nicknames - Biff, Art Vandelay, Koko, T-Bone, Can't-Stand-Ya...

You will likely recognize this form in dozens of popular shows through the years with many variations. I guess they're still using it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    I haven't watched TV for decades, so I'm an outsider in this discussion, but I can offer an observation. There are some "forms" for shows, the first of which I came to notice is where there are three main characters with specific attributes:

- central character, the leader, some kind of authority
    two side kicks
    - there is a second character that typically looks/acts a little weird/goofy, has some peculiarity in appearance, unusual sounding name, and some kind of special knowledge
    - there is a third character with a nickname, professional often some medical aspect
    The side kick characters fuss and antagonize each other.

Examples...

Gunsmoke
    Matt Dillon - Marshall
    Festus - goofy, ears, rural wisdom
    "Doc" - medical man with nickname

Star Trek
    James Kirk - Captain
    Spock - weird, ears, science wisdom
    "Bones" - medical man with nickname

Cheers
    Sam - Cheers bar owner
    Cliff - goofy, ears, trivia wisdom
    "Norm" - accountant, chorus of "Norm!" is self same nickname

Seinfeld
    Jerry - ring leader and authority on life
    Kramer - goofy, name (Cosmo), bizarre wisdom
    George - medical aspect is "inverted" (hypochondriac), nicknames - Biff, Art Vandelay, Koko, T-Bone, Can't-Stand-Ya...

You will likely recognize this form in dozens of popular shows through the years with many variations. I guess they're still using it?
    The above is why AI software can write the basis plot of a T.V. show, as well as much of the dialog.

User Info Menu

The Three Stooges; the Marx Brothers; Harry, Hermione and Ron; Shrek, Fiona and Donkey; SpongeBob, Patrick and Squidward; Athos, Porthos and Aramis.

The Father, Son and Holy...... oh never mind.

User Info Menu

In the middle of Who Is Erin Roberts? About a teacher/soccer mom who is more than she lets on to be. And kicks some serious a$$ when she needs to.

Typically ubercompetent British series on Netflix. Action-packed. 6 episodes, so not like it's a life commitment (I'm looking at you, Sopranos and GOT).

Succession - A study in narcissism.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    In the middle of Who Is Erin Roberts? About a teacher/soccer mom who is more than she lets on to be. And kicks some serious a$$ when she needs to.

Typically ubercompetent British series on Netflix. Action-packed. 6 episodes, so not like it's a life commitment (I'm looking at you, Sopranos and GOT).
    Do you mean Who is Erin Carter?

User Info Menu

Just finished Parasyte: The Grey, another good one by the director of Train to Busan and Hellbound.
    It's Korean, but it started in Japan, so this is a part of that series that was started in Japan.
    Saw "3 Body Problem", and liked it. Never read the Chinese books, so don't ask me how it compares.

User Info Menu

I loved Ripley on Netflix

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    But you're much deeper and more spiritual than the rest of us.
    Not really. I just think tv is just a waste of time and a waste of life. Why do people get so offended by that? Makes it seem precious and central to your existence. Is it?

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone
    Not really. I just think tv is just a waste of time and a waste of life. Why do people get so offended by that? Makes it seem precious and central to your existence. Is it?
    Yes. Now it is.

User Info Menu

I don't pay for tv because I can't stand the commercials. I don't really like the content on tv either. All the stupid new shows. I scrum around on ad free youtube premium, watch movies, and watch some free tv on my smart tv. The only thing I really miss on tv are the baseball and football playoffs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    Yes. Now it is.
    Have you thought about a hobby instead? Like maybe learning piano or guitar?

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone
    Have you thought about a hobby instead? Like maybe learning piano or guitar?
    I dabble.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Duke Ellington cameo in the Dick Van Dyke episode.
    Mancini did some music too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    ...I can't stand the commercials... ad free... movies...
    A few years back I found a site that has movies, but it had commercials - the same ones over and over about every 10 minutes. One day I was so irritated I decided to go out and wash my car instead, and instead of turning it off I let the movie run through just to punish them with the waste of bandwidth.

Later, I decided to go ahead and watch it and just bear through the commercials, so I dragged the little progress ball back to the beginning and started watching... no commercials! Their method only applies them during the first run, so after that whenever I found a movie to watch, I'd let it play through while going grocery shopping, bike ride, or swimming at the club, etc. and come back to commercial free movie watching.

User Info Menu

?The Amos? 'n Andy Show?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    I loved Ripley on Netflix
    Agree! Best iteration of Patricia Highsmith to date I've seen. Really feels like the book.

Certainly helps that they could take 8 hours to tell the story instead of the usual 1 or 2. I look forward to the next season. I think she wrote 5 Ripley books and I hope they can keep it going.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Agree! Best iteration of Patricia Highsmith to date I've seen. Really feels like the book.

Certainly helps that they could take 8 hours to tell the story instead of the usual 1 or 2. I look forward to the next season. I think she wrote 5 Ripley books and I hope they can keep it going.
    It says limited series, they don’t usually get a season 2. Not that I wouldn’t love to watch that psychopath wander around for 8 more hours.