The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Posts 376 to 400 of 459

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    Not sure why you ask this. I never mentioned K-Pop.
    But since you ask. Who is 'us'. Does this include me? I am a member of this jazz forum and i like Billie Eilish for instance. Or Snarky Puppy. The second one i really like a lot. These are both acts that started after the year 2000. There is nothing wrong with music after the year 2000. You are just behaving like an old man. Imagine somebody in the mid 20th century talking about Charly Parker like you are talking about 'this digital stuff'.
    K-Pop was an example. I was speaking of those of us who you think are stuck in the 20th century. I gave my reasons for disliking the packaged pop music of which we speaking. I certainly do not exclude everything made in this century. That would be ridiculous. Billie Eilish and her brother are very talented. Snarky Puppy are appalling.

Many people disliked Parker's music, for good reasons: "Playing 'bop' is like playing Scrabble with all the vowels missing", Duke Ellington once said. Some people on this forum prefer pre-bop jazz. Some prefer post-bop.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    That's exactly why it's great. Well, it started that way, but now it's high art. Either way, let's not forget our roots.
    Yeah ... That is my point. Our origin is very human

I really can stand so called "jazz lovers" treating it like high art and pointing fingers at the youth of today for not being wholesome.

Like you say ... Lets not forget our roots

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    The serious part:
    No .. I don't expect you to like it .. but I expect you to respect both the people that perform it and the ones that actually do like it.

Many here shit on the musician's of today calling them clowns and what not. Lady Gaga is not a clown .. What she has done out of reach for for all but the select few that has that kind of skill and charisma ... But not here ... Here she looks like a clown as is just a sell out. Go figure?

The semi-trolling part:
    I mean .. is jazz really that great? .. It's New Orleans whore house music mostly performed by junkies, isn't it?
    Why would you “expect” anyone to respect anyone or anything that you believe they should? People disagree on everything. That’s human nature. But so are dictatorial instincts.

Lady Gaga is extremely talented musically and vocally. But that's not what makes her a Star! Entertainment Sells it Big Time, And always has!

User Info Menu

The grumpy old man vibes on this forum are strong again.
    The woman in that madison beer clip playing the pink tele is arianna powell.
    Here she is playing her arrangement of a johnny smith song on an archtop..
    I’m old fashioned.. sounded appropriate for this thread.
    Login • Instagram

And this is a single for her upcoming album I think.

User Info Menu

More

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    More

Right ... Pop music today is perform without musicians ... or something

Grumpy Old Man vibes toward younger players who don't get it! When you post something along the lines of Joe Pass, Wes Montgomery, John McLaughlin, Jaco Pastorius let us old guys know.
    Other wise I'll stay in my own yard, and you kids stay in yours,LOL !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Grumpy Old Man vibes toward younger players who don't get it! When you post something along the lines of Joe Pass, Wes Montgomery, John McLaughlin, Jaco Pastorius let us old guys know.
    Other wise I'll stay in my own yard, and you kids stay in yours,LOL !

Lol, don't hold your breath.

User Info Menu

Maybe Bruno Mars (and the Hooligans) and St Vincent are influencing younger singers to perform with bands.

Maybe so, but they basically are Pop entertainers. Bruno s quite the talent, Ill give him his props! Im totally lost with St. Vincent, other than shes cute.

Where are the Real Players and Songwriters? What Happened? Wow!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Where are the Real Players and Songwriters? What Happened? Wow!
    They grew old like yourself. Once you start asking where the real . . . . (fill in something apropriate, like car, women, lawnmower, basicly everything you think was better 100 years ago) has gone you are lost. The trick of staying young is to apreciate what the young are doing. It's a state of mind. Once you loose that, you are old and will probably die soon.

User Info Menu

They grew old like yourself. Once you start asking where the real . . . . (fill in something apropriate, like car, women, lawnmower, basicly everything you think was better 100 years ago) has gone you are lost. The trick of staying young is to apreciate what the young are doing. It's a state of mind. Once you loose that, you are old and will probably die soon.
    Hi, M,
    There is a reality to Jads' remarks: namely, things have changed. Let me give an example. If you have been reared on eating prime filet mignon, drinking Dom Perignon, and smoking Cuban cigars, you will never be happy eating a Big Mac, drinking Budweiser Beer, and smoking Camel cigarettes. Without writing a historical treatise on Jazz music, let it suffice to say that there is, IMO, a great generational difference in musical eras and this one, the Y2K, IMO, is very low. Yes, we have artists like Joey Alexander, Wynton Marsalis, Yamandu Costa, Nicholas Payton, Joey D'Fransesco, Jane Monheit, Ana Vidovic, Jocelyn Gould, etc. but pop music has deleteriously effected the genre. So, the battle will never end but we must learn that apples are never oranges . . . unless ,of course, you live in an alternate reality.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Will someone please provide a video example of Bruno Mars' greatness before I choke to death! Everything I've seen is a run of the mill Pop entertainer.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

To be fair .. Jads has been displaying a sense of humor in this thread, so despite having been after him big time in the past ... This time around, I think he is cool .. all things considered

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Will someone please provide a video example of Bruno Mars' greatness before I choke to death! Everything I've seen is a run of the mill Pop entertainer.
    Play live . . . Marinero

To me that Jads calls him quite the talent and gives him props is more than enough as a seal of approval.

User Info Menu

To me that Jads calls him quite the talent and gives him props is more than enough as a seal of approval.
    Hi, L,
    That's like a guy bragging about his girlfriend until he brings her ,for all to see, to the Junior Prom. I gotta see it before I believe it!
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Hi, L,
    That's like a guy bragging about his girlfriend until he brings her ,for all to see, to the Junior Prom. I gotta see it before I believe it!
    Play live . . . Marinero
    Well you see ... There are plenty of clips on Youtube of Jads playing spanning from the 70s where he was part of several national acts to the current day where he plays jazz and blues. He is a high level player

Therefore his opinion is always going to out weight some random dude that no ones heard playing ever ... No matter how much he claims his ear to be attuned to greatness in music. Given your track record I expect you to shit on Bruno Mars regards of what we post and how good that actually might be. It's what you do.

"Rønnebærene er sure, sagde ræven" .. An old proverb in my country. A Fox stands beneath a rowan berries tree. The tree is too tall for the fox to reach the berries. Disgruntled the fox states that those berries have a sour taste and are inedible anyways

User Info Menu

What's up with all the Cuban cigar references??

I've had 'em in Germany and Jamaica. Not really better than Honduran, IMO.

User Info Menu

Well you see ... There are plenty of clips on Youtube of Jads playing spanning from the 70s where he was part of several national acts to the current day where he plays jazz and blues. He is a high level player

Therefore his opinion is always going to out weight some random dude that no ones heard playing ever ... No matter how much he claims his ear to be attuned to greatness in music. Given your track record I expect you to shit on Bruno Mars regards of what we post and how good that actually might be. It's what you do.

"Rønnebærene er sure, sagde ræven" .. An old proverb in my country. A Fox stands beneath a rowan berries tree. The tree is too tall for the fox to reach the berries. Disgruntled the fox states that those berries have a sour taste and are inedible anyways
    You have a point there. I actually never really liked Bruno Mars, but if Marinero dislikes him, it kinda makes Bruno Mars cool, so I might give him another chance. Funny how it works..

User Info Menu

Those horrible freedom-hating communist cigars.

User Info Menu

Play live . . . Marinero
    He’s not bad here. The writing is not typical pop. I give he and Andersen Paak a huge thumbs up for coming up with a solid tune that even seniors find attractive.

BTW, where’s your 3 octave skills?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by waltf
    Those horrible freedom-hating communist cigars.

Impressive. Your Profile in Courage is exemplary. I mean, oppression is always funny when it's happening to someone else - right?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    What's up with all the Cuban cigar references??

I've had 'em in Germany and Jamaica. Not really better than Honduran, IMO.
    With all due respect, I beg to differ. I've had a few Cubans, bought legally and smoked in Canada. And I've smoked a lot of cigars from Honduras*/Nicaragua/Dominican Republic/Jamaica/Canary Islands/Brazil/Pennsylvania and so forth, and though I agree there are some very fine cigars being made by the marques founded by Cuban emigres in the aforementioned countries**; Nothing , and I mean nothing, beats the tobacco from the Vuelta Abajo, and the depth of skill and knowledge among the workers. Give me a Cuban Ramon Allones Robust XXL, in Maduro, any day. Seriously. Any day. I'll be home. Please. The sooner the better.

* I started smoking Hoya De Nicaragua when they were being made in Honduras and they were superb. I wish I still had some.

** My humidors are filled with them. Drop by, and help me make room. I'll make coffee. Or break out the Chivas. Or both.
    Last edited by citizenk74; 05-15-2021 at 08:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    With all due respect, I beg to differ. I've had a few Cubans, bought legally and smoked in Canada. And I've smoked a lot of cigars from Honduras*/Nicaragua/Dominican Republic/Jamaica/Canary Islands/Brazil/Pennsylvania and so forth, and though I agree there are some very fine cigars being made by the marques founded by Cuban emigres in the aforementioned countries**; Nothing , and I mean nothing, beats the tobacco from the Vuelta Abajo, and the depth of skill and knowledge among the workers. Give me a Cuban Ramon Allones Robust XXL, in Maduro, any day. Seriously. Any day. I'll be home. Please. The sooner the better.

* I started smoking Hoya De Nicaragua when they were being made in Honduras and they were superb. I wish i still had some.

** My humidors are filled with them. Drop by, and help me make room. I'll make coffee. Or break out the Chivas. Or both.
    I've had some great Hoyo de Monterrey's too.