The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 459

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    That period in jazz/fusion from from say 1975 to 1983 that has the breckers as their flagship is utterly ghastly ... Reminds me of kids pulling cats by their tails
    Metheny did most of his best work over that period and there was still some groovy funk stuff from Herbie and others

For me its 1983-1990 - digital keyboards, cheesy David Sanborn sax, slap bass and over-chorused guitars
    you could not pay me enough to sit through this

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    Not to sound like a fanboy but Driver's License is an anthem for a generation.
    The definitive version:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    I'm not here to criticize any individuals preferences in music. I'm only pointing out that technology has changed not only how we listen to music but how it's affected the actual music being made and not for the better imo.
    The record player, the radio... that's when technology allowed folks to hear music that wasn't being played live. I would think those put some local musicians out of work way back when.

And the TV, entertainment hours and hours at home... kind of like the internet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Rodrigo is good. Even Beato likes her haha.

However is anyone else a bit tired of pop stars taking over the NPR Tiny Desk concerts? I mean that’s were all the nerdy proper musos like Chris Thile and Anna Meredith are meant to hang out and now it’s Demi Lovato (who I don’t hate) sounding a wee bit pitch corrected to me.
    She's more Filipino than people in the Philippines. She grew up with the food and language.
    I had heart surgery the same place as Bernie Sanders. That day a nurse said- go to the Philippines.
    I thought oh, so I'm damaged goods now. I should fly half way around the world and find a 19 year old province girl. I'll think about it.

I probably should but Las Vegas is a perfectly good place to die.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    The definitive version:
    Blondes respond.
    This song could have horrible consequences. Karoke bars will be on every corner and people will be screeching out Driver's License.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    Not to sound like a fanboy but Driver's License is an anthem for a generation. Same as Smells Like Teen Spirit. I actually saw Nirvana and they didn't play the song.
    i was right about Cameo. In the 80's I thought that was the straight dance music that would be played down the road.
    Boomers didn't have anthems I guess.
    Hendrix doing the national anthem at Woodstock?
    My dad said it was Itchycoo Park by the Small Faces, and maybe Something in the air by Thunderclap Newman? (Maybe it was just him.) He was also massively into the Airplane.

User Info Menu

She went a little Dylan at the end here;

Last edited by Stevebol; 04-16-2021 at 05:02 AM.

User Info Menu

Freind if you can't tell or hear the difference between Snarky Puppy and The Brecker Bros, than I get why you might be upset by my comments.
    Same thing in my day between say John McGlaughlin and Al Dimeaola as musicians.
    Al is a great technician and plays with precision, but lacks the depth and emotion of John McGlaughlins playing.

M main argument is music has been sanitized by technical advances. And if you grow up not hearing great performances by all styles, then you become acclimated to it.
    Before drum machines, and Pro Tools, music was more interactive. Not so perfect and synced to a Click Track. I would rather hear Ringo play drums than any drum machine. Limited as his abilities may be, he made the feel and interacted with the other Beatles.
    Im a big fan of John McGlaughaghaghlin but less so of Al Di Hemiola.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    My dad said it was Itchycoo Park by the Small Faces, and maybe Something in the air by Thunderclap Newman? (Maybe it was just him.) He was also massively into the Airplane.
    Feed your head..

White Rabbit and Thank You.
    Last edited by Stevebol; 04-15-2021 at 03:12 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm not here to criticize any individuals preferences in music. I'm only pointing out that technology has changed not only how we listen to music but how it's affected the actual music being made and not for the better imo.

As far as Ringo and his abilities, I stand by my comments. Love the feel he brought to The Beatles, but even George Martin brought in other drummers to play what Ringo couldn't. Bernard Purdie, was brought in to play "Baby You Can Drive My Car".
    Purdie did not play on any Beatles' records. He did play on the Sgt. Pepper movie soundtrack albums.

No one played drums on Beatles' records except for Starr and very occasionally one of the other boys, with the exception of session drummer Andy White playing on a couple of early recordings (from their debut I think).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Purdie did not play on any Beatles' records. He did play on the Sgt. Pepper movie soundtrack albums.

No one played drums on Beatles' records except for Starr and very occasionally one of the other boys, with the exception of session drummer Andy White playing on a couple of early recordings (from their debut I think).

Yes, just like John Taylor played all of the Duran Duran bass lines .. especially the ones on the Rio album.

User Info Menu

OK let's choose our funeral song. Here's mine;

User Info Menu

Freind if you can't tell or hear the difference between Snarky Puppy and The Brecker Bros, than I get why you might be upset by my comments.
    Same thing in my day between say John McGlaughlin and Al Dimeaola as musicians.
    Al is a great technician and plays with precision, but lacks the depth and emotion of John McGlaughlins playing.

M main argument is music has been sanitized by technical advances. And if you grow up not hearing great performances by all styles, then you become acclimated to it.
    Before drum machines, and Pro Tools, music was more interactive. Not so perfect and synced to a Click Track. I would rather hear Ringo play drums than any drum machine. Limited as his abilities may be, he made the feel and interacted with the other Beatles.
    Who was this directed to? Who’s upset by your comments?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff

Bernard claims he did, but I played in a band with him, and I could trust him as far as I could throw him.
    One rehearsal he showed up without any drums!

User Info Menu

I think I see who the dialogue was fir. Man you guys have too much time on your hands. I go to have time to read threads like these! Lol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Bernard claims he did, but I played in a band with him, and I could trust him as far as I could throw him.
    One rehearsal he showed up without any drums!
    It’s pretty well established Purdie lied about his Beatles tracking.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    It’s pretty well established Purdie lied about his Beatles tracking.

Never a dull moment with Bernard!

User Info Menu

I think I see who the dialogue was fir. Man you guys have too much time on your hands. I go to have time to read threads like these! Lol.

Henry, I just read on your website that you were related to Mingus. Did you ever hear of a guy named Rudy Williams, a sax player?
    He was a guy I gigged with a lot back in the day, and one of the nicest people on the planet.

Sorry my fault for going down the wrong Rabbit Hole with Ringo and Bernard Purdie. Either way my poi t was the drummer brings the Feel to the track vs a Drum Machine which does not interact with the other players,

User Info Menu

Henry, I just read on your website that you were related to Mingus. Did you ever hear of a guy named Rudy Williams, a sax player?
    He was a guy I gigged with a lot back in the day, and one of the nicest people on the planet.
    Are your talking about cousin Rudy??? Wow. His duster was singer Estella. I’d love to hear stories. Amazing.

User Info Menu

Are your talking about cousin Rudy??? Wow. His duster was singer Estella. I’d love to hear stories. Amazing.

Wow! Rudy was your cousin? Too much! Who was the singer Estella?

User Info Menu

Good discussion fellows on all sides! I started this again from my viewpoint at my age and as a pro musician who's always loved Jazz.
    To me music that Grooves and has human interaction is what moves me.
    So that can be any genre as well, even Pop.

When it became drum machines and Pro Tools, it became too robotic. Actual songs are not jingles or music sound tracks which depend on the exact clock.
    So when Prince and Michael Jackson became huge in the 1980s Pop embraced this rigid formula, which basically affected all music genres.
    Baby steps. Have to to ween them off autotune first. The girl at 8:15 is pretty good;

User Info Menu

He had two siblings - Phil and Estella. All musicians. All children or grandchildren of Fess Williams, kind of famous New York band leader. Their mother was a Phillips who was a sibling to my father’s mother as well as Mingus’.

Last edited by henryrobinett; 04-16-2021 at 01:18 PM.

User Info Menu

I blame everything on the movie Purple Rain.

User Info Menu

He had two siblings - Phil and Estella. All musicians. All children or grandchildren of Fess Williams, kind of famous New York band leader. Their mother was a Phillips who was a sibling to my father’s mother as well as Mingus’.

We played together in this crazy gigging big band. There was a lot of confusion when Rudy first came into the band. This insane 'Nam Vet, ex-junkie trumpet player thought that Rudy was the same Rudy Williams that played in the Savoy Sultans, and Rudy did nothing to dispel that rumor!

I didn't know much about jazz history back then, but I learned that the alto player of the Savoy Sultans (Rudy Williams) had died at an early age in a mysterious swimming pool drowning.
    So Rudy was playing tenor, and also doing some vocals on things like "Hello Dolly". One time he was singing it on a gig, and I watched him slowly turn around and watch something flying through the air. It turned out to be that trumpet player I mentioned before, being picked up and thrown across the room by the huge 1st trumpet player, who was bugged at him for laying out on some section parts to save up his chops for a solo!

Rudy just kept on singing as if nothing happened!
    Rudy was doing a day gig as a welder, so his chops were not as happening as they could've been, but he had a great feeling for the blues.

He seemed to know a lot of heavy players, and he got Leonard Gaskin on the band, and the two of them would be telling jokes to each other, sometimes laying out in the middle of a tune, when everyone else was playing.
    Rudy got me involved in a recording session for Al Jabaz Williams, a wild piano player, who had written a jazz biblical thing for big band and choir. I don't know if it ever came out. Rudy said Jabaz had been involved in Motown, and lived in a huge house in Old Westbury.

Rudy also got me on a great small group gig that he led, with the great drummer/singer Charles 'Honeyboy' Otis, who was probably the greatest Blues/R&B singer I've ever worked with. He did a version of "This Masquerade" that was 100x better than Benson's version.
    Charles dug the way I played, and told me to come down to the gig he was doing at Tramps with Big Joe Turner, because they were looking for a guitarist. I tried to get out of my steady gig, but the head of the office threatened to fire me if I didn't make his gig, so I had to pass on it.

Rudy mentioned in passing once that he was Mingus' cousin, and I looked it up years later in books on Mingus, and they said Charles used to room with Rudy when he was in NYC. Rudy even played on one of Mingus' albums.
    I lost touch with Rudy and was very saddened to learn that he had passed from cancer. RIP, Rudy.