The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Posts 351 to 375 of 459

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    there were a couple of recent movies about that, did you see either and are they worth checking out?
    I didn't see them. I was just reading about the scene recently.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    In other news, I just realised I didn’t dream this

Ariana Grande has been covering this tune for a while.

I think everyone was in lockdown with too much time to shed lol
    In further news...

What's with the teddy bears?
    Last edited by Stevebol; 05-01-2021 at 02:23 AM.

Well the old Jazz guys were right ! Our music and especially the newer stuff SUCKS!

The difference now is it almost all done without musicians. The other thing that really annoys the sh%t out of me is people showing off their exact ability to copy a famous musicians solo.
    Great, your a really technical parrot! Now great your own voice!

User Info Menu

There's nothing worse in popular music than stagnation. That's the way it's been for 30 years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    The difference now is it almost all done without musicians. The other thing that really annoys the sh%t out of me is people showing off their exact ability to copy a famous musicians solo.
    I'm having trouble getting motivated to do anything in music. I'm fussy. I hate recording music. I don't like using headphones or modelers.
    I haven't practiced electric guitar with an amp in ages. I should.
    No more dance music.
    I'll try to get my sound together and post some stuff on Soundcloud. It will probably sound like Indie instrumentals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    This always bothers me too. It is just memorizing where to place your fingers through repetition. The same effort as memorizing where your sunglasses in your car are. Unless you are a gigging cover band guitarist why do that!

User Info Menu

You gotta be self motivated. It’s not external. It’s hard to motivate yourself. Set goals. No one is going to do that for you. If it’s learning someone else’s solos by rote, that’s a goal. Not mine but that’s cool. Whatever gets you going. Music is in the imagination. If the ignition for your imagination, as it has been with all of us, is someone else’s playing, great. If your goal is to be a great player with something unique to say you gotta step out and gain confidence in your own voice. But you gotta be SELF motivated. Not gigs, not videos not live streams. Those are the products of your self motivation. Goals. Music is the passion and expression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by henryrobinett; 05-03-2021 at 01:05 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    In further news...

What's with the teddy bears?
    Oh I kinda dig this! I can see some evil humor in this, and the chorus is almost heavy... Many elements are to my liking. Madison BEER- also a pisstaking name to go with that image haha. I need to hear more.

User Info Menu

Listen carefully, it's a new jazzstandard:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    Listen carefully, it's a new jazzstandard:

Hi, M,
    She certainly has a musical voice(albeit with the ubiquitous Y2K inflection) and the melody was interesting. However, I lost it at 1:43 with the Techno beat/feel where it became a different song. Who knows where people like this go in their careers? Gaga was a clown, IMO, but sings beautiful Jazz standards. Maybe it's just all about the money.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, M,
    She certainly has a musical voice(albeit with the ubiquitous Y2K inflection) and the melody was interesting. However, I lost it at 1:43 with the Techno beat/feel where it became a different song. Who knows where people like this go in their careers? Gaga was a clown, IMO, but sings beautiful Jazz standards. Maybe it's just all about the money.
    Play live . . . Marinero

I hate it all, but there must be more to hate than this
    - Ultravox 1983

I bought an amp from Nancy Sinatras guitar player and ended up renting it to Jerry Hahn. It was a Music Man 65 1-12 model for 150$ minus the 50 for rent,which was offered not asked. As far as the pretty women well thats what makes the world go round. Just ask the birds and the bees. Pink teles Are For Girls!!! Anyone remember the time Granny Clampett played her double neck Dano with the Potatoe Bugs? Well that kind of Quality Entertainment is hard to find anymore!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Oh I kinda dig this! I can see some evil humor in this, and the chorus is almost heavy... Many elements are to my liking. Madison BEER- also a pisstaking name to go with that image haha. I need to hear more.
    Like bluesmen say, these young women are deadly!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    I hate it all, but there must be more to hate than this
    - Ultravox 1983
    Hi, L,
    I don't hate this!
    Play live . . . Marinero

?
    Billie Eilish Vogue Cover Photos - BuzzFeed

https://www.buzzfeed.com › natashajokic1 › billie-eilis...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    You need to write a screenplay and get Christopher Walken to drop enigmatic non sequiturs like that.

In another post, pedo means fart (or drunk) in Spanish, so close 'nuff.
    Some music takes time to grow on you. I like what Billy Eilish and Madison Beer are doing. They're adventurous.

Christopher Walken?
    I can see that.
    Last edited by Stevebol; 05-04-2021 at 04:02 AM.

User Info Menu

Here's Rick's take on Billy Eilish;

User Info Menu

With this crowd they probably think Cobain is modern pop...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    With this crowd they probably think Cobain is modern pop...

Exactly. Man, you'd think visitors of this forum would actually like music, but it seems they are stuck somewhere in the previous century.

User Info Menu

Exactly. Man, you'd think visitors of this forum would actually like music, but it seems they are stuck somewhere in the previous century.
    A lot changed at the turn of the century, culturally, technologically, economically. We lived in an analogue world; now we are digital. The world economy is now dominated by colossal corporations that own most of the world's wealth. They also dominate our culture, creating product that suits their interests rather than reflecting ours.

In these circumstances, preferring the last century is quite understandable. Sneering at us and claiming we do not, 'actually like music' – when our preference is for music made by musicians rather than the over-produced, over-calculated drivel made by the entertainment-industrial complex – is not only insulting but perverse.

In any case, this is a jazz guitar forum; do you really expect us to like K-Pop?

User Info Menu

This is a jazz forum. People here generally prefer twentieth-century music.

A lot changed at the turn of the century: technologically, economically, culturally. We lived in an analogue world; now we are digital. Our economy is dominated by colossal corporations that own most of the world's wealth. They also dominate our culture, creating product that suits their interests rather than reflecting ours.

In these circumstances, preferring the last century is quite understandable. Sneering at us and claiming we do not actually like music – when we prefer music made by musicians to the over-produced, over-calculated drivel produced by the entertainment-industrial complex – is not only insulting but also perverse.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    Here's Rick's take on Billy Eilish;

yea, they are both a bit emo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick

In any case, this is a jazz guitar forum; do you really expect us to like K-Pop?
    Not sure why you ask this. I never mentioned K-Pop.
    But since you ask. Who is 'us'. Does this include me? I am a member of this jazz forum and i like Billie Eilish for instance. Or Snarky Puppy. The second one i really like a lot. These are both acts that started after the year 2000. There is nothing wrong with music after the year 2000. You are just behaving like an old man. Imagine somebody in the mid 20th century talking about Charly Parker like you are talking about 'this digital stuff'.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick

The serious part:
    No .. I don't expect you to like it .. but I expect you to respect both the people that perform it and the ones that actually do like it.

Many here shit on the musician's of today calling them clowns and what not. Lady Gaga is not a clown .. What she has done out of reach for for all but the select few that has that kind of skill and charisma ... But not here ... Here she looks like a clown as is just a sell out. Go figure?

The semi-trolling part:
    I mean .. is jazz really that great? .. It's New Orleans whore house music mostly performed by junkies, isn't it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    I mean .. is jazz really that great? .. It's New Orleans whore house music mostly performed by junkies, isn't it?
    That's exactly why it's great. Well, it started that way, but now it's high art. Either way, let's not forget our roots.