The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 138 of 138
    it's really hard to pick just one, but i think i'll go with Dave Brubeck Quartet - Live at Carnegie Hall
    Attached Images Attached Images Your Number 1 Favorite Jazz Album-db-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Waaayyyy too many to choose from. I pretty much like all forms of jazz but favor the traditional small group combos and solo chord melody players.

User Info Menu

Bright Size Life

User Info Menu

It might be this.

Your Number 1 Favorite Jazz Album-ab67616d0000b273c5d7798efa2b835768beba79-jpeg

Onesimus Guest

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    It might be this.

Jeez, same here. And we disagree on everything else. Interesting.

User Info Menu

Probably Jim Hall “Jazz Guitar” and Quincy Jones “The Quintessence.” Hard to pick a favorite but if I could do a favorite album run, then the Miles second quintet albums … Miles Smiles, Nefertiti, Sorcerer.

Out of control, this album:

User Info Menu

I could reach far to be unique, but Kind of Blue woeld be my default.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Garrett View Post
    Jeez, same here. And we disagree on everything else. Interesting.
    Do we though? I don't think I ever noticed that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Onesimus View Post
    I might still have somewhere the cassette in 80ies-ish pastel yellow an 8th grade classmate recorded me this album on from his parents' vinyl record collection, must have. So this is definitely the first jazz album I ever listened to (and a lot) on my cheap Sony walkman copy in 1987 on my way to school in the city center. And definitely time to revisit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Do we though? I don't think I ever noticed that.
    I overstated, no doubt. Actually, I agree with all of your learning advice for jazz guitar, or I should say I try to learn from it myself. You do emphasize the importance of learning tunes above all else, but when I see you play solo guitar on YouTube, I can’t imagine approaching that level without a lot of fundamentals first. But I am definitely in love with the album in question!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    It might be this.

Did not know that. Great album.

User Info Menu

Cannot make up my mind, but wow, what a flashback!

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    One of my all-time favorites is "Lady Coryell" by Larry Coryell.

It was one of the first "jazz" guitar albums I heard, the title track blew my mind when I was a teen. It spans all genres - from jazz, blues, psychedelic rock, and Jimmy Wyble like classical-country etudes. His acoustic rendition of "You Don't Know What Love Is" is elegant.

His singing is... not good, but the sheer eccentricity of it works on the track "Herman Wright."

Here it is on YouTube:
    Larry Coryell - Lady Coryell - YouTube
    This one I haven't heard in ages (has never crossed my mind either)!

Whereas THIS one has been playing constantly ever since, somewhere in the back of mind.

(Both were on the Essential album... I liked both, but memory doesn't seem to stick to any obvious rules...)