Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 101 to 102 of 102

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    I felt the same way as a teenager for the most part. Then I heard George Benson and BAM! This led me to a guitar teacher who introduced me to Pat Martino, then Joe Pass, Taal Farlow, etc..

My era was the 1970's with the CIT era jazz fusion records from Freddy Hubbard, George Benson, etc along with The Crusaders, Chick Corea, John McGlaughlins Mahavishnu Orchestra, etc.
    There was no SMOOTHE JAZZ, that was Soul music on the radio still.

Anyway I have come to discover the Great American Songbook sung by Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, Julie London, Nancy Wilson,etc.
    And now that's my favorite music. But to be fair I'm 63 and comfortably old,lol!
    We could have grown up in the same household; Yea, once I heard Body Talk by Benson, it changed my musical direction.

I also became a fan of American Studio era movies; this is how I explored the GASB. E.g. I hear Tangerine by Sal Salvador and then find the film the song was first introduced in (The Fleet's In, where both Tangerine and I'll Remember You were both written by the director of the film, Victor Schertzinger (a man with many talents!).

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

For me it was Geoge Benson covering Horace Silver's "Song for my Father " I loved Don Sebesky especially doing Stravinsky's "Right of Spring"

I also appreciated things like Elmer Bernstein "Magnificent 7" , Jerry Goldsmith and Dave Grusin and of course Quincy Jones!