The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 83

User Info Menu

“Look at that!” McPherson says. “She’s got a blueprint in her mind she’s constantly comparing herself to. She’s working in phrases, complete thoughts. She’s not ignoring errors, she’s hearing them, fixing them. She’s fitting small parts into the whole, drawing the lens in and out all the time, scaffolding herself to a higher level.”

Coyle, Daniel. The Talent Code (p. 4). Random House. Kindle Edition.

See Edwin Gordon. Also Hal Galper.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Sounds a bit self help pop sciencey from the title, but if it's well evidenced would certainly be of interest.
    My general opinion on most non-fiction pop-science kinda books is pretty dim, most books like "blink" I feel would be better served by a paragraph than a book.

This book is my absolute favorite study of talent and practice habits I've ever read. I recommend it without reservation.

User Info Menu

The most important talent is commitment to practice. The "extremely gifted" has practiced so much more. They were born with a talent to practice, to stay focused for many hours. And the more they practiced, the better they became at practicing. The sixth sense is there, but it's an individual thing, never the same.

User Info Menu

Natural talent in a jazz context? I think there are people with a knack for hearing fundamental harmony. They're just wired in their brains to hear it and on a basic level articulate physically through voice those notes better than others. But I think jazz harmony, rhythm and improvisation has be nurtured whether consciously or subconsciously, for instance, your family or individual who appreciates jazz by constantly hearing recordings (whether they can know it's called that or not) and that naturally talented person is willing to explore those extra colorful sounds that express the genre...this is also assuming their jazz listening taste are more traditional jazz (trad to bebop eras).

Who's going to naturally scat like Louis Armstrong without some little bit of context like from a record and hearing things like the blues or those distinct elements that are attributed to a basic sound of a jazzy blues? The sound of a dominant 7th or "blue notes", though, one with no musical training can't articulate those technical descriptions likely can imitate jazzy pentatonic scale not knowing that's what their doing. The "natural" has heard those things more acutely than others and has nurtured that ability interest through jazz-listening intent or environment.

I'm partially using my experience as an example. I impressed my guitar instructor in my late-in-life lessons because he saw I had a knack to play fairly simple Freddie Green things, but this person observing my immediacy for some jazz guitar chords, for example, probably didn't realize it took lots of time for myself to explore it in a self-taught manner. There was a time I could not articulate the term "dominant 7th" about chord but when I recognized it via listening to jazz, I could identify it more immediately than others, sound-wise, and could likely vocalize it. In a nutshell, I think natural talent in a jazz context has to be nurtured (maybe for a few joyous listens as a young person or perhaps for years behind-the-scenes) for the observer to declare that he or she seems to have this ease-of-ability and is a natural...imho.

User Info Menu

...Some people seem to be born with perfect pitch and can just hear the notes like other people can see blue, green and yellow...
    And some see blue, green and yellow much better than others, and come by it quite naturally.

I think a big part of talent is an affinity for a something in life. Some people are more visually aware, some more aurally, some more gastronomically etc. It's part of a personality. You could say it starts with a curiosity and interest in something, and very often it seems to come out of nowhere. This is the fuel that fires the hard work. One of them anyway.

User Info Menu

See below; scientific paper on amusia.

There are true congenital amusics and there are false amusics (adults who believe they are tone-deaf, but are neurologically normal).

Now, if we assume there are true congenital highly musical individuals; -what about the false ones (musicians who believe they are highly musical, but are neurologically normal)?

...Forget about it. it leads to nowhere.

In my experience musicians in general have very different abilities, different strengths and weaknesses.

Exhibit 1; guitarist with right-left hyper co-ordination that plays "Flight of the Bumblebee" at the speed of light, but can't swing.

Exhibit 2; Symphonic musician who can read ahead 10 bars prima-vista, but can't improvise.

Exhibit 3; A "lead-guitarist" that refuse to play chords and do rhythm work.
    ....a finger player that can't use a pick, a bottle neck, an amp...
    ....a jazz musician that doesn't listen to Coltrain....an organist that can't play bass pedals...
    ....A multi instrumentalist that can play 10 instruments, but doesn't stand out as phenomenal...
    ...a singer with a world class voice that can't remember lyrics....

No problemo! you just need a little self confidence, be good looking and give people a reason to pay attention.
    Find your niche, and don't forget to practice.

_____
    Quantifying tone deafness in the general population.
    Sloboda JA, Wise KJ, Peretz I.
    Abstract
    Many people reach adulthood without acquiring significant music performance skills (singing or instrumental playing). A substantial proportion of these adults consider that this has come about because they are "not musical." Some of these people may be "true" congenital amusics, characterized by specific and substantial anomalies in the processing of musical pitch and rhythm sequences, while at the same time displaying normal processing of speech and language. It is likely, however, that many adults who believe that they are unmusical are neurologically normal. We could call these adults "false" amusics. Acquisition of musical competence has multiple personal, social, and environmental precursors. Deficiencies in these areas may lead to lack of musical achievement, despite the fact that an individual possesses the necessary underlying capacities. Adults may therefore self-define as "unmusical" or "tone-deaf" for reasons unconnected to any underlying anomaly. This paper reports on two linked research studies. The first is an interview study with adults defining themselves as tone-deaf or unmusical. The interview schedule was designed to discover what criteria are being used in their self-definitions. Preliminary results suggest that performance criteria (e.g., judging oneself as unable to sing) play a major role, even for people who claim and demonstrate no perceptual deficits. The second study reports progress on the development of new subtests for a revised version of the Montreal Battery for the Evaluation of Amusia (MBEA, Peretz et al., 2003). This currently contains six tests that allow for the assessment of melodic perception: contour, intervals, scale, rhythm, meter, and recognition memory. The MBEA does not assess two capacities that are generally accepted as central to normal music cognition: harmony and emotion. The development and norming of the emotion subtest will be described. When completed, the MBEA(R) will form a robust screening device for use with the general population, whose purpose is to discriminate "true" from "false" amusics. Such discrimination is essential to achieve a better understanding of the variety of causes of low musical achievement.

User Info Menu

scientific paper on amusia.

There are true congenital amusics and there are false amusics.
    The biggest probmlem is amusics who are convinced that they are real musicians

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    The biggest probmlem is amusics who are convinced that they are real musicians
    Good lord...do they exist IRL? I've never met an amusical musician. A few wannabes perhaps, but no true musicians. Those "DJs" are problematic but most of them don't qualify as musicians and neither do the barrel-organ grinders. An amusical musician would only be able to outsmart an amusical audience...5% of the population...enough to make a living on YT, yo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    it is not much about bad or good music, Gould never denied Chopin's gift. But the gifts can be different.
    With all the eccentricity of Gould his viees are never just poses. If one takes enough time and effort to get deeper he will find that there is always experience, sencitivity and argument behind it
    About Chopin, it is aesthetical opposition.
    And I would say that Gould understood Chopin much better than many of his admirers.

I had a short period of deep interest in Chopin when I played (what I could of course) listened everything he composed (I was about 14), I remember that it is with Chopin I discovered the idea that he actually had developed some kind of code with which he managed to completely keep himself in his music. It is a cliche that the artist stays in his work.
    But with Chopin it is literally so, when you play his music you can really feel his presence, I even think he did it almost conciously.
    He is undisputable genius (but genius for me does not always mean that his music is human and responds me).
    I always felt that so-called 'passion' of Chopin is extremely cold and almost cynical... he seems to always look a bit from aside to everything.

Besides - modern admirers today often miss very important aspect of his music - it is music born in salon aesthetics of early 19th century Paris... we are too far from it today to really feel it, but it is all soaked in pretencioussness and snobism of some sophisticated kind.

Gould definitely felt it.

Andy day I would prefer Schumann who though was not that gifted naturally mangaed to discover the depthes of humanity in msuic, to research the human soul.
    (And by the way Gould loved Schumann)

Well... I do not know what anti-jazz would mean... (he should not be jazz)))
    but with Tchaikowski the problem is that he is mostly misunderstood too really...
    Due to his prolofic melodicism and also yes sentimental aesthetics in general - later generations easily turned him some kind of pop-composer of the day.
    But he is one of the greatest musical dramaturgist (his operas) and novelist (his late symphonies).
    And also - though I am not a big fan of a bellet - even I can understand how he managed to transcibe dance language into music.. even his non-ballet music reminds of ballet.. for example violine concert is practically a ballet for a violine.

It's an off top here though - sorry - just do not discard him... he is a whole universe... my receptopn was quite early (from 6th symphony) but I know quite many people who came to this thing much later.. I think it is especially difficult for Russians because he became sort of cultural cliche which is not easy to overcome
    Yea, I kinda figured that about Gould... Not to derail it more off topic, I'm not the biggest Classical music connoisseur, but Chopin music I unconditionally love. Just naturally enjoyable. Maybe you're right about Tchaikovsky as a cliche for Russians. I don't know what it is, but his melodic sense rubs me the wrong way, I can't stand it honestly! It's a shame. I love any and all Russian composers except him.

User Info Menu

Words of wisdom by Louis Armstrong:

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it."

"You blows who you is."

"My whole life, my whole soul, my whole spirit is to blow that horn..."

User Info Menu

The talented, good musicians I know... I'm generally in awe of how good their musical memory is compared to mine. I think having a good memory is one of the elements of talent.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcsanwald
    This is almost inarguably true. The book I recommended is really about "what is raw talent?", what does it mean?

I knew Chris socially for a while (he used to date a very close friend) and I do think people tend to underestimate how single minded an focused some of these people are from a very young age. Pat Metheny has said over and over again that jazz music has been his obsession from an extremely young age, he basically practiced instead of actually going to high school. Tony Williams was super young when he joined Miles but said he knew all Miles' music, all of it, backwards and forwards. This is not something that he was born knowing.

The book also points out there's a huge variance in different practice strategies and the results they produce, and some of "raw talent" may be due to someone adopting a particularly effective practice strategy early on that allows them to make leaps in progress that would not be possible otherwise.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough for folks who are interested in thinking a bit more deeply about what raw talent is.
    The above summarizes my thoughts on the matter, especially the part about "different practice strategies" and the results of someone adopting very effective ones early on.

User Info Menu

Narural Talent is, roughly 99.8% of the time, the excuse that people who want to play an instrument very well but who aren’t willing to put in the time and work and make the sacrifices necessary, use to justify why they aren’t as accomplished as they dream about. The other 0.02% of Natural Talent is ultimately, statistically insignificant.

Clifford Brown died when he was only 25. He had an enormous impact in the short years that he was active. He had a car accident and hospitalized for a year when he was 20 and he couldn't play the trumpet months after (see wikipedia). He wasn't a professional musician at the time although he played the trumpet since he was 10. He was a math major! Dizzy Gillespie convinced him to become a professional musician while he was in the hospital. He instantly became a jazz sensation. That's not statistically insignificant.
    Drive to practice is not that rare. World is full of musicians, teens, adults who are ALL drive. If someone gives them a scale pattern, tells them it's good for them to practice it, they'll do it 8 hours a day no problem. That somehow doesn't automatically translate to becoming jazz sensation. There are people in their senior years who put in their 10000 hours many times over, they aren't 1/10'th a musician Clifford Brown was in his teens, they'll never be no matter how hard they practice. That's what it is. That's just life.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 04-29-2019 at 09:24 AM.

User Info Menu

“What” you practise must be very important, scales alone are not very useful (in my humble opinion) yet a lot of people seem to spend hours on them. Here’s Clifford Brown practising, sounds to me like he was practising improvising and phrases:

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    “What” you practise must be very important, scales alone are not very useful (in my humble opinion) yet a lot of people seem to spend hours on them. Here’s Clifford Brown practising, sounds to me like he was practising improvising and phrases:
    I wonder if he is reading calisthenics or just playing systematically over a progression.
    I agree, I'm not saying doing patterns all day is useful. I'm just saying the talent of willingness to practice is not that rare but it doesn't lead to great results necessarily. Becoming a great musician implies lots of practice. But lots of practice doesn't imply becoming a great musician.

Also intrinsic understanding of how one should practice to develop their skills effectively is a product of one's "musical intelligence".
    Last edited by Tal_175; 04-29-2019 at 09:54 AM.

User Info Menu

Chet Baker is an interesting case, by all accounts he never practised much and didn’t know much theory, but had such a good ear that he could play just about anything.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Also intrinsic understanding of how one should practice to develop their skills effectively is also a product of one's "musical intelligence".
    Most definitly.

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Chet Baker is an interesting case, by all accounts he never practised much and didn’t know much theory, but had such a good ear that he could play just about anything.
    I guess he had trained his ears well from early on.

Do your thing.

Words of wisdom by Cannonball Adderley:

"A young tenor player was complaining to me that Coleman Hawkins made him nervous. Man, I told him Hawkins was supposed to make him nervous! Hawkins has been making other sax players nervous for forty years!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog
    Chris Potter. This live track was recorded when he was just 14:

You don't get that out of hard work only. No way.

I happen to believe that raw talent is way more important than hard work. I think it's possible to be a world class player within just a few years. Bireli comes to mind too.

DB
    But they both worked very hard from the first minute they got the horn in their hands. otherwise, those lines don't come out.

User Info Menu

I believe that natural talent is real; some of us were born pre-wired to more easily create visual art, play music, dunk a basketball, etc. I would love to understand the science behind this but I don't think we're very far down that road.

My late mom played the piano by ear in kind of an un-hip, bouncy show tune style. Yet, if she knew a given song, she could instantly play it in any key, complete with octave runs and other embellishments, bass lines and reharmonizations. She could do this on the fly well enough to take requests from an audience - even if she'd never before played a given song. She took voice lessons but never had any formal music training beyond that. Trained pianists were astounded that she was doing all this by ear. Whenever I tried to make her analyze or explain how she did it she'd get very uncomfortable. It was just something she did and she had no interest in exploring how or why she could do it. I've read that Wes was the same way. This didn't happen without hours and hours spent woodshedding yet others could put in the same amount of time and be unable to do this. Life's a mystery! PS I didn't get those genes. Though I have some natural ability, I have to work at music. Sniff.

User Info Menu

Last night I learned about a large research project on musicality. The population for this study constitutes of twins, where one is a musician and the other is not. Same genetics, same social environment factors.

I didn't quite understand the purpose, but there were some preliminary findings. I was reminded of this thread and a number of related questions currently on this forum.

• There are strong indicators that confirm the effect of training, independent of genetics.
    • The more someone has trained, the better the ears
    • Training motivation in general is heavily influenced by genetics.
    • Genetics play a role for the most fundamental aspects of music; Most people perceive a simple melody and rhythm without effort, but for a small group of tone-deaf amusics, it's nearly impossible.
    • Creativity can be trained.
    • Speed, coordination and muscle memory can be trained
    • There is a correlation between musical ability and willingness to practice. The probability for someone to continue increases with positive feedback

A non-musician twin often had a stronger drive for another interest early in life, for example sports.

Assume a teenager playing golf on a regular basis. Then family and work takes over. At 65 he picks up golf again. He wouldn't aim for the pro tour and would not be depressed over the fact he can't maintain scratch handicap. He would just play for good health and friendship.

Musicians don't play golf. Most of them lack ball-talent, and even if they've got it, it was never nurtured because the music training took all the time.

User Info Menu

Sorry can't read all the responses right now, but we have this debate in every profession/endeavor, even the sciences. I've always thought I would rather have a meticulous, dull, but compulsive and hardworking doctor on my case than a brilliant one. Sometimes this applies to the arts as well.

My son has a lot of natural talent. He plays keyboards and drums/percussion, as well as even a bit of guitar. He works for Google but in his spare time composes and records his own music.

My observation of him is that his talent lets him accomplish a lot with less effort than others. For instance, going into a major piano recital or competition in high school he would practice probably 1 hour a day, maybe 2. It was all self-directed, without any browbeating by his parents (though a lot of nervousness). Then on performance day, he would play the pieces flawlessly.

I imagine if he put in 4-6 hours a day, he could be a professional musician, possibly even a concert pianist. However, this was not his goal.

On the other hand, I think my natural musical talent is much less and would benefit from many more hours of woodshedding. I think I have more natural talent for things like writing, speaking extemporaneously, etc.

User Info Menu

This is what it sounds like:

And I will keep spamming this video until it is admitted that this video is the best jazz.

User Info Menu

There is absolutely no question in my mind that natural talent exists. I have known several teenagers who were gigging with the teachers before age 18. Yes, they practiced, but so did a lot of other people.

You can see it, perhaps more clearly, in dance. Some people move more fluidly than others and it doesn't look like something that can be taught. Or in drawing. Some people can draw, some can't and you can't take a non-drawer and teach them to do what the natural artists can do. Sure, you can teach some technique, but the non-drawer will always produce more mechanical renderings of anything. Even in baseball -- I knew kids who could control where they hit the ball at a level the rest of us couldn't comprehend.

As far as the 10,000 hour figure -- Gladwell, iirc, justified it anecdotally, mentioning, for example, the Beatles' time in Hamburg. He didn't quite do all the math, but it was clear that they had a lot of stage time.

OTOH, he could have mentioned the Rolling Stones who were successful without any equivalent amount of practice.