The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 109

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vladmartino
    This player is incredible, its intimidating to listen to this level technical and concept prowess yet the music is hard to swallow for me. I feel almost guilty for still sticking with good old stuff (Grant, Wes etc) and not being able to get with the program so to speak. What emotion does that suppose to stir? Sorry for rambling lol. I am not criticizing by the way...just wondering out loud i guess

I agree. I think that part of it has to do with the tunes. The old guys often played Standards which are great tunes with familiar melodies that are easy grab a hold of. I have no emotional attachment to the new songs. I feel that I am a progressive thinker in music and in life but there is something about those old Standards that is special.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This has a very euphoric feeling to me. I love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    I agree. I think that part of it has to do with the tunes. The old guys often played Standards which are great tunes with familiar melodies that are easy grab a hold of. I have no emotional attachment to the new songs. I feel that I am a progressive thinker in music and in life but there is something about those old Standards that is special.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Partly I think it's because these young jazz musicians aren't usually composers. How can they be expected to compose something that stands up on its own terms without the training or experience? These compositions tend to be vehicles for the improv and technique rather than pieces in themselves. You have to write a lot to write something good... It takes work. You might not need classical chops, but you need to be interested in writing.

Ask any songwriter.

(It's worth saying that jazz musicians are heavily incentivised to record originals because the jazz musician's art - improvisation - is not recognised in copyright law. If I play a gig of originals in the UK, I get paid a bit of extra money through the PRS, for instance.)

It's also about the values of the composition. The musicians who wrote standards were by and large not jazz musicians. They were songwriters. (There are some exceptions (Duke Ellington) of course, and interesting shades of grey (Monk) and I'm not really counting the tradition of contrafact writing here.)

Improvisation can overlap with composition obviously. Sometimes the compositional voice is very different from the improvisational voice.... In most cases of modern players the compositions sound like the improv, which is to say notey and impressive. But songlike? Usually not. There are exceptions!
    Last edited by christianm77; 07-25-2018 at 03:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Not sure if this counts but I have a big soft spot for EST

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    This has a very euphoric feeling to me. I love it.

This rocks! But then again, it's a Brazilian band, and Brazilians are not known for Nerd Jazz exactly.

Is it ok to use 'Nerd Jazz' as a style label? Pretty much characterize all the modern thing started from Kurt Rosenwinkle till today.

wow lol, i was afraid to use this "nerd" label , but honestly thats how i felt while listening to it, i would also use academic and chamber like. nothing wrong with that that thoug

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    This rocks! But then again, it's a Brazilian band, and Brazilians are not known for Nerd Jazz exactly.

Is it ok to use 'Nerd Jazz' as a style label? Pretty much characterize all the modern thing started from Kurt Rosenwinkle till today.
    Of course! I can't help but share this but understand, I actually like a bit of nerd jazz from time to time.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

ok there is definitely identifiable emotion in this piece for me! totally different ball game , love it. the sound how lite it is etc, the sound and composition itself lends to much better perception and feel , for me anyways

User Info Menu

Triades is a brilliant composition. It may not sound that hard to play and, in fact, it's not that hard to get close. But, getting all the way there is something else. It is very tough to pick the melody -- it would be far easier fingerstyle (which Chico can do), but the articulation of the notes wouldn't be the same. It is also very difficult to execute some of the passages near the 12th fret cleanly. Reminds me of Wes -- it doesn't sound that hard until you try to play it.

Chico is Brazilian, but studied at Berklee. He is just as good playing Out of Nowhere or a blues in F.

Brazilian jazz has followed a different path from American jazz, at least, on balance. There is plenty of cross-pollination.

User Info Menu

Not sure if this counts as jazz, but honestly I don't care.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Triades is a brilliant composition. It may not sound that hard to play and, in fact, it's not that hard to get close. But, getting all the way there is something else. It is very tough to pick the melody -- it would be far easier fingerstyle (which Chico can do), but the articulation of the notes wouldn't be the same. It is also very difficult to execute some of the passages near the 12th fret cleanly. Reminds me of Wes -- it doesn't sound that hard until you try to play it.
    Nah it's fine. Just go DDU. ;-)

He is just as good playing Out of Nowhere or a blues in F.
    What? He's mastered both kind of music!

(I know that's not what you meant :-))

Brazilian jazz has followed a different path from American jazz, at least, on balance. There is plenty of cross-pollination.
    It's still related to songs more to my ear, and vocal music...

User Info Menu

Quite different vibe, but not 'academic' to my ears in any way.

Quite different vibe, but not 'academic' to my ears in any way.

Wow that hit the spot! Pent up energy..hot !

User Info Menu

Some of the "contemporary jazz" posted on this thread has been very interesting and beautiful. Some, like the video originally posted feels like work to listen to. I suppose it has less to do with a particular style as it does with musicality. Good is good no matter what the style. Unlistenable music is bad no matter how advanced the player's technique.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    Some of the "contemporary jazz" posted on this thread has been very interesting and beautiful. Some, like the video originally posted feels like work to listen to. I suppose it has less to do with a particular style as it does with musicality. Good is good no matter what the style. Unlistenable music is bad no matter how advanced the player's technique.
    I agree. I'm most of us would rather listen to a great delta blues player pour out their soul on a 3 string guitar if it was really happening, but technique doesn't have to deny soul or vibe in music (just ask Coltrane.)

The problem is more that technique, once acquired is a convenient thing to rest on... Once craft is acquired you have to go beyond it...

User Info Menu

Nah it's fine. Just go DDU. ;-)

What? He's mastered both kind of music!

(I know that's not what you meant :-))

It's still related to songs more to my ear, and vocal music...
    Both kinds. Country, and, Western.

It's curious that Americans really don't sound Brazilian when they try to play Brazilian music. There's an accent, and the usual explanation is that we Americans didn't grow up with those rhythms.

Yet, when I've heard Brazilian bands break into swing (usually as a kind of joke), they sound authentic.

To my ear the difference between Brazilian jazz and American jazz is in the flow of the harmony. The Brazilians always seem to have smooth flow -- nothing jagged to the ear -- even while the chords are moving through outer space (compared to the chord progressions we're accustomed to in standards). That, and the music is usually rhythmic, often to the point of being danceable.
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 07-25-2018 at 05:32 PM.

User Info Menu

They play upbeats, which is nice.

User Info Menu

Here's another "modern" player that doesn't suck at music, while we're sharing clips. In fact Rotem is probably my favorite guy from the "Too-Cool"-Nerd (TCN) jazz scene. What I like about Rotem is that he doesn't try as hard to sound cool as some of these other guys (I won't name names), and he has a great sense of humor in his playing.

User Info Menu

One approach to comping samba on guitar is to play all upbeats.

That statement is true but insufficient.

The upbeats have to be phrased or articulated, or something, just right, or the music won't swing. When you hit it, when you release it, where it sits in the frequency spectrum -- if you don't get that all perfect, the upbeats sound bad. Don't ask me how I know this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    One approach to comping samba on guitar is to play all upbeats.

That statement is true but insufficient.

The upbeats have to be phrased or articulated, or something, just right, or the music won't swing. When you hit it, when you release it, where it sits in the frequency spectrum -- if you don't get that all perfect, the upbeats sound bad. Don't ask me how I know this.
    That's the difference between really playing upbeats and merely understanding them on an intellectual level. Different feels & placements of course... but it's true of US swing too. Merely playing the upbeat metronomically is a start .... but not enough to swing....

User Info Menu

That's the difference between really playing upbeats and merely understanding them on an intellectual level. Different feels & placements of course... but it's true of US swing too. Merely playing the upbeat metronomically is a start .... but not enough to swing....
    Exactly. And yet, in years of study in various situations, I have rarely heard much instruction about the difference between playing something "correctly" and making the same thing swing.

When a student talks about wanting to improve time, the usual prescription is practice with a metronome, but that's no guarantee either. I can't recall hearing very much useful about improving feel. Well, maybe the suggestion to put the 'nome on 2 & 4. Also, the suggestion to take up drums, although there are drummers who can play but don't have great feel.

What I have been doing recently is playing along with videos where the guitarist has great time feel and I can see and hear exactly what he's doing. Then, if I remind myself every time I pick up the guitar, I spend a higher percentage of the time playing on the better side of my ability. But, it's still easier in practice than in a group, where I have to account for multiple takes on the feel at once.

We don't talk that much about it, but it has always seemed to me that a great player can make a single note sound good -- with great time.