The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

I agree with considering Simon and Garfunkel and Marvin Gaye.

Just a couple of thoughts which reflect my biases...

This award is for music not written word, so just because someone is a great poet, doesn't necessarily mean they should win a Pulitzer for music. Though obviously in sung music the lyrics are a pivotal part.

There are a lot of great, well-produced albums out there, but there has to be something special to win a Pulitzer--it has to say something and preferably be extremely influential.

So re' jazz in 1959...I think Kind of Blue, Ornette's The Shape of Things to Come, Mingus' Ah Um, or Brubeck's Take Five could all be contenders. These all represent very highly composed and intellectual approaches to the music that I think would fit the criteria.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Surprised to find support for my suggestion of Thick as a Brick - unless of course Jazzstdnt understood the obscurity of my prize winning lyrics reference.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newsense
    Surprised to find support for my suggestion of Thick as a Brick - unless of course Jazzstdnt understood the obscurity of my prize winning lyrics reference.
    Well it's a single, cohesive composition of album length, not an album of multiple short compositions (i.e. songs). It is "orchestrated" as opposed to improvised. (Voice, flute, classical guitar, electric guitar, piano, organ, bass, drums). It has theme, development, and recapitulation (of sorts). It tells a story through changing moods and textures. The music is ambitious and demanding and the musicianship is high.

Like it/love it/hate it - but show me another single composition with that level of compositional and musical mastery in the history of pop/rock. I don't know of one thus far, and given the current direction of simplification and reduction of all musical elements, I won't hold my breath for one either.

Again - the Pulitzer is for a single composition, not a group of songs - correct or incorrect?

User Info Menu

Am I alone in that I never heard of such award before? That's the first time I hear about Pulitzer music award, and it's all because of the controversy of the Kendrick's album getting it.

I mean, from what I've heard it was reserved all these years for contemporary Classical cats, not pop music. Why all of a sudden it's got to be a hip hop album? I listen to it btw, and find absolutely nothing thats stand out in any way from any other current hip hop. What exactly you find there in terms of music? And I can't listen to the lyrics, it's too fast for me to understand. Looks to me like it was more of a political decision.

Point is, I've heard better, like Ol' Dirty Bastard, why he never got that recognition? He was much more talented IMO.

User Info Menu

Stan Getz "Sweet Rain"

Antonio Carlos Jobim "Wave"

Joe Walsh "But Seriously Folks"

Steely Dan "Aja" & "Gaucho"

User Info Menu

Pharao Sanders Karma.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Pharoah Sanders Karma.
    the creator has a master plan...indeed

leon thomas at his best

cheers

User Info Menu

Pulitzer music award has to be American?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Endorphins
    Pulitzer music award has to be American?
    Yes--per their website: "Only U.S. citizens are eligible to apply for the Prizes in Letters, Drama and Music (with the exception of the History category in Letters where the book must be a history of the United States but the author may be of any nationality). For the Journalism competition, entrants may be of any nationality but work must have appeared in U.S. newspaper, magazine or news site that publishes regularly."

That's kind of news to me. I guess Sir Paul and Elvis C are out of luck...and Jethro Tull LOL...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Yes--per their website: "Only U.S. citizens are eligible to apply for the Prizes in Letters, Drama and Music (with the exception of the History category in Letters where the book must be a history of the United States but the author may be of any nationality). For the Journalism competition, entrants may be of any nationality but work must have appeared in U.S. newspaper, magazine or news site that publishes regularly."

That's kind of news to me. I guess Sir Paul and Elvis C are out of luck...and Jethro Tull LOL...

Kinda sheds new light on the possibilities.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff

Or AC/DC....

User Info Menu

Brothers Johnson - Strawberry Letter 23