The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 64

User Info Menu

With all the different types of Jazz types that are out there, which one do you think is the most popular and please give an example of an artist, past or present, that plays this style.

I am guessing Smooth Jazz probably has the most listeners and audience.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Currently the most popular? Smooth jazz, no question. Kenny G FTW! Popularity and quality are not necessarily always the same, of course.

User Info Menu

Hot jazz! Undeniably is what the younger generation has embraced.

How a Swath of 20-Somethings Have Tuned In to 1920s Pop | Vanity Fair

User Info Menu

Some younger people, come on! Most of them do pop - or am I dreaming?

User Info Menu

I would say that though jazz originated in popular music, it is not popular. When jazz moved from being dance music it lost 99% of its audience

User Info Menu

Kenny G has nothing to do with jazz, smooth or otherwise. It's pure pop drivel.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I'm talking within the jazz realm, not in general. We are talking the most popular styles of jazz, not general music.

User Info Menu

According to Billboard's Jazz chart (-not the only source worth citing here but one worth noting),
    the most popular jazz recordings this week are:
    1) Norah Jones, Day Breaks
    2) Willie Nelson, Summertime: Willie Nelson Sings Gershwin
    3) Tony Bennett, Tony Bennett Celebrates 90
    4) Gregory Porter, Take Me To The Alley
    5) Chris Thile & Brad Mehldau, [self-titled]
    6) Kristin Chenoweth, The Art of Elegance
    7) Scott Bradlee's Postmodern Jukebox, The Essentials
    8) John Scofield, Country For Old Men
    9) Carmen Lundy, Code Noir
    10) Ralph Towner, My Foolish Heart

User Info Menu

Smooth jazz is something for retirees going on a cruise ship. Or a dentist's office. It has no grass root movement.

Hot jazz is a closest to a real movement right now I can observe. It makes waves, it brings audience, it brings money. Brass bands go viral, from subway busk to world tours. And most importantly it attracts the young musicians and young audience.

In the end it's all part of Nostalgia times we are living in, but for me it's where I can somewhat fit in. All that Jazz's jazz, Coltrane and whatnot was way over my head anyway.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Hot jazz! Undeniably is what the younger generation has embraced.

How a Swath of 20-Somethings Have Tuned In to 1920s Pop | Vanity Fair

I did a google search and man, that Hot Jazz is everywhere these days. Even in Dallas, there are Hot Jazz performances. It is a very upbeat music, full of the energy of the predominantly young people that play it.

Very intriguing...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    I did a google search and man, that Hot Jazz is everywhere these days. Even in Dallas, there are Hot Jazz performances. It is a very upbeat music, full of the energy of the predominantly young people that play it.

Very intriguing...
    That's what I'm talking about! Upbeat and full of energy is the key

User Info Menu

Ok now I know what I saw the other day in the Montreal metro playing, young guys with a double bass, banjo and accordion playing '20s-30s style music...hot jazz...interesting indeed

User Info Menu

That's what I'm talking about! Upbeat and full of energy is the key
    When I google hot jazz I get refered to '20s and dixieland. Could you provide me with a reference that points to your meaning. Would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

User Info Menu

What is smooth jazz? This?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deselby
    When I google hot jazz I get refered to '20s and dixieland. Could you provide me with a reference that points to your meaning. Would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Here's some local bands. And a little plug for myself too

User Info Menu

I'm talking within the jazz realm, not in general. We are talking the most popular styles of jazz, not general music.
    Right, I've got it :-)

User Info Menu

Nice playing, Hep!

User Info Menu

In my part of the world, most live music listings have a category : JAZZ/WORLD, then list bands who play music that has nothing to do with jazz, eg, bagpipers playing heavy metal tunes.

In the bigger world eg record sales, I would have answered the Norah Jones type of jazz (again, imo. absolutely nothing to do with Jazz)

User Info Menu

Western swing seems to fit into that hot jazz vibe that seems to be popular with live audiences because of the fun factor. It still ends up being a nostalgia act, but that's show business, and paying gigs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    Kenny G has nothing to do with jazz, smooth or otherwise. It's pure pop drivel.
    KG hasn't been pop since the 70's when he was with Barry White.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Mostly ones with elaborately maintained facial fungus and a penchant for lecturing people about bourbon.

And that's just the women!!!! Boom Ching....
    Last edited by christianm77; 03-05-2017 at 05:54 PM.

User Info Menu

As I have spent around 6-7 years of playing this stuff (swing) I have to say that what appeals to people about it in general has little in common with what I find interesting about jazz. I think they like the songs, the old fashioned twee-ness of it and the vibe. I don't think they are terribly interested in the blowing.

*shrugs* it's an overlap of interests.

Personally, I grew a bit tired of this scene (I'm a bit fed up of playing in really noisy bars and swing dance gigs can be a bit dull if you don't dance) and am currently moving towards other things at the moment. But playing so much vintage style jazz has definitely seeped into my playing. Hopefully in a good way - I think it has affected the way I approach my own music, and the group I play in Hot Club of Jupiter has a nice balance of entertainment and musical values I think.
    Last edited by christianm77; 03-05-2017 at 06:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Western swing seems to fit into that hot jazz vibe that seems to be popular with live audiences because of the fun factor. It still ends up being a nostalgia act, but that's show business, and paying gigs.

Those are great bands!

I knew Lucas for a while before Honeyfingers hooked up with Jim, he's a cool guitarist on his own, and he let me sit in with the band too! I remember that gig they played weekly in one of the Brooklyn brewers on Sat afternoons, and all this Gypsy jazz guys would turn up and sit in with them. Western swing+ Gypsy jazz, works fine! That's where I realized those early swinging styles are totally interchangeable and there's a big scene for it.

HCOC is one of my fav, I gotta catch them next time when they in town, big inspiration really!

Here's one of my fav NYC hot jazz singers, Tamar Korn, I can listen to this song forever.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    What is smooth jazz? This?

How about this guy?

User Info Menu

I think that a lot of American (and other) improvised music is descended from jazz. That includes, I should think, a lot of rock music, including heavy metal, western swing, Gypsy jazz, smooth jazz and so forth.

But, I guess we use the term jazz to focus on certain harmonic and rhythmic developments. Very hard to define.

So, jazz may not be especially popular in some sort of pure form, but improvised music that descended from jazz is all over the place.

Most popular type? Around here, judging from radio and ticket sales, probably pretty mainstream stuff. That's what I hear on the only local full time jazz radio station KCSM and that's what seems to sell at the major venues.

There are jazz clubs, but they seem to have a lot of turnover. Must be a shoestring kind of business.