The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

I'm working on some great solo arrangements of Miles Davis tunes done by Jamie Findlay. Most of it is straightforward, but every now and then he pulls an artificial harmonic trick out of his arsenal that is impossible to figure out (even though he quickly describes the technique in the transcription).

I guess I'd need more explanation or I'd have to see video of someone doing them to figure it out.

I know how to do basic artificial harmonics, but the thing that has me stumped right now is a sort of very fast reverse rake of an arpeggio using harmonics.....

Fmaj7 chord in root position on the 4 highest strings. And then with the right hand you're supposed to quickly rake the strings with your index finger while using your 3rd finger to touch the 12th, 13th 14th, 15th frets.
    I can post a small sound clip, if that would better explain it.

Does anyone know of any good books for techniques like this, or any
    youtube videos?
    Last edited by peterk1; 07-30-2009 at 09:26 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

"And then with the right hand you're supposed to quickly rake the strings with your index finger while using your 3rd finger to touch the 12th, 13th 14th, 15th frets."

It would be more common to use the index finger to lightly touch the string above frets 12,13,14 and 15, and use the third finger to do the plucking or raking.

User Info Menu

That's what I meant, actually.

I can't even come close to doing it like that. Or for that matter the way I described it. I can do the Lenny Breau thing where the right hand is jumping around a lot and there's a distinct space between each harmonic/note, without too much difficulty.

It's this quick strum or backward strum that has me stumped.

Anyways, judging by the number of views/responses it's pretty obvious that this isn't in too many people's vocabulary.

User Info Menu

it would be the index finger that lightly stops the strings above the required frets. plucking can be done with ring finger, little finger, or thumb. gets easier with practice.

start by working on the right hand technique at the natural node of the 12th fret (open Em11 chord). then practice two note and three note chords where the left hand fingers are at the same or close fret (2nd fret A triad, for example), to get used to the feel without the right hand jumping around.

then try the harder chords and melodies (play scales in harmonics).

User Info Menu

the master of harmonics:

User Info Menu

and again (you can see his right hand pretty clearly:

User Info Menu

I hold my pick between my thumb and middle finger, and use my index finger to lay down the harmonic. I've only been doing it for about a month but it's not as hard a concept to grasp as I thought it would be. It also makes strumming across the strings pretty easy, though I haven't worked on raking up yet. Carl Verheyen is a master at that. Jack Grassel is a master at single line harmonics, he'll play the octave harmonic, then the fith fret equivalent and all this wild stuff.

A common sort of 'harp effect' that's pretty cool is you pick the harmonic with your pick between the middle finger and thumb while your index finger lay on the string, and then skip a string and pick the open (fretted, but not harmonic) with your ring finger.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies. Will check all those videos, when I get home and will post an mp3 and video of the exact technique I need.

I have had some success doing the move with a pick as you've described. The problem, is that the arrangement is a fingerstyle thing and I think the composer does it with only his finger and that's where I'm screwed. The pick is forgiving volumewise....with the fingernail, you have to get it right and hit pretty hard.

I don't think I have time either to switch to a pick just for that chord.

User Info Menu

The technique I'm after (backward rake with harmonics; finger picking) is more like the last chord of this tune....

except, I'll have to play an Fmaj7 and go on a diagonal instead of straight up.

Watched the first two Lima videos. Stunning playing and thoroughly enjoyable but I didn't catch any harmonic rakes in there.

It's really tough finding info on this stuff. Jamie Findlay (the guy whose arrangement I'm playing) has a 20 page book on harmonic techniques, but the only review of it I've seen criticized it as being overly basic. And then there's one other book that I know about published by Berklee Press, but I think that one has a bunch of stuff that's mostly used in metal that I'm not terribly interested in.

Anyways I'll keep plugging away at it.

User Info Menu

Hi
    type Tommy Emmanuel Harmonics into YouTube. Fantastic lesson! Don't know if it's what you are looking for but it's interesting anyway,
    Steve

User Info Menu

Thanks.

I finally got the hang of what I'm after with the help of my teacher - who isn't really a harmonic guru either.

It's quite nasty. You almost have to make a mini bar with your right index finger as you scrape up with the 3rd finger. It's going to take a while to get performance worthy but at least I'm on the right track now.

Guys who do this kind of stuff live are completely insane.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by randalljazz
    and again (you can see his right hand pretty clearly:
    On your site your hand covers part of your guitar. Is that a 12 string (looks like ten!)?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesguy
    On your site your hand covers part of your guitar. Is that a 12 string (looks like ten!)?
    ten.
    1. e1
    2. b
    3. g
    4. d
    5. A
    6. E
    7. BB (or CC)
    8. Bb
    9. Ab
    10.Gb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by peterk1
    I'm working on some great solo arrangements of Miles Davis tunes done by Jamie Findlay. Most of it is straightforward, but every now and then he pulls an artificial harmonic trick out of his arsenal that is impossible to figure out (even though he quickly describes the technique in the transcription).

I guess I'd need more explanation or I'd have to see video of someone doing them to figure it out.

I know how to do basic artificial harmonics, but the thing that has me stumped right now is a sort of very fast reverse rake of an arpeggio using harmonics.....

Fmaj7 chord in root position on the 4 highest strings. And then with the right hand you're supposed to quickly rake the strings with your index finger while using your 3rd finger to touch the 12th, 13th 14th, 15th frets.
    I can post a small sound clip, if that would better explain it.

Does anyone know of any good books for techniques like this, or any
    youtube videos?
    The way that I usually get harmonics is by holding the pick w/ my thumb and middle finger and using my pointer finger to lightly sound the harmonic 12 frets from the fretted note. It takes practice but works like a charm. I got this technique from Richard Thompson. Obviously you would not do this technique if you were a fingerstyle player or used a thumbpick. It just works if you use a flatpick. With enough practice it becomes almost second nature and you don't really even think about it.

=-) PJ

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by randalljazz
    ten.
    1. e1
    2. b
    3. g
    4. d
    5. A
    6. E
    7. BB (or CC)
    8. Bb
    9. Ab
    10.Gb
    Very cool.

User Info Menu

search out Jamie Findlay's book on the subject.
    I had a short lesson with him when he was here for a festival.
    The book covers the whole gamut of how he uses AH's.

User Info Menu

Here is the trailer to a master class on the subject. The whole thing is available for download at jazzguitarsociety.com

this might be helpful

all the best
    Tim Lerch

User Info Menu

Jody's not bad:

User Info Menu

Tim, your download looks great.
    I found this guy explaining a few things that will help me get ready for your video. This is very exciting:

And this helpful guy helps with some interesting things in a different genre:

This guy plays stuff really quickly but you can stop it and it's a little helpful.

This is kinda neat, not as good as a dvd or download, but you can check it out, and I'll bet Tim's video will answer all the "how to"s.

You gotta wonder about a guy that lets his guitar get so beat up though, look at how worn it is! Time for one of his friends to buy him a new guitar, I think.
    But now I'm excited to get started! Thanks Tim!

User Info Menu

Thanks, that's lots of videos. One idea I like is, rather than just playing an arpeggio of 100% harmonics, to alternate regular notes and harmonics. It gives you some cool close voicing sounds.

User Info Menu

Hey Guys, here is a new video of Dolphin Dance that has a lot of harmonics at the beginning

all the best
    Tim

User Info Menu

I've seen Joe Beck do that a bit in his instructional video.