The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 132

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I started in 1982 and I only found it difficult for the first 33 years.

Classic!!!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Work..OK but... this is not a classical music. I know some classical musicians who like jazz and work a lot but can not get right feel...etc.

Did they practice it for 5 or 10 years?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vintagelove
    For two to three hours a day not including their classical practice?

User Info Menu

not sure.
    I'm quite sure. If you put the requisite amount of time into it you can do it. I'd wager that the requisite time is different for everyone. Brain chemistry matters ... not everyone can be a burner cutting guys and recording fully mature music at 17 ... but everyone can learn. Saying not everyone can learn is a little self-important of us don't you think?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vintagelove
    no...they told me that prefer classical playing.

User Info Menu

no...they told me that prefer classical playing.
    and there you go.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    For two to three hours a day not including their classical practice?
    what for...
    if somebody love classic have not time to practise jazz stuff in porffesional way.

User Info Menu

what for...
    if somebody love classic have not time to practise jazz stuff in porffesional way.
    Your question was whether or not everyone can learn to play jazz. Someone said yes ... you argued that you had classical musician friends who tried and couldn't play jazz. You were asked if they actually practiced jazz for hours a day for years and said no. If they love classical music then of course ... practice it. That's just not reason to say that they **can't** learn to play jazz. It just means they don't want to. And that's fine.

User Info Menu

I'm quite sure. If you put the requisite amount of time into it you can do it. I'd wager that the requisite time is different for everyone. Brain chemistry matters ... not everyone can be a burner cutting guys and recording fully mature music at 17 ... but everyone can learn. Saying not everyone can learn is a little self-important of us don't you think?
    no...
    what about creativity...
    Playing jazz for me is like composing music in real time.
    everyone can be a composer?

User Info Menu

no...
    what about creativity...
    Sure. As long as you treat it like a craft and practice it as much as you practice your instrument.

User Info Menu

no...
    what about creativity...

Yes if if they practice it. Whether anyone likes what they compose is a different matter all together.

The reason your classical playing friend is struggling is he is new to improvisation. If he works at it for ten years, chances are he will be decent.

User Info Menu

Your question was whether or not everyone can learn to play jazz. Someone said yes ... you argued that you had classical musician friends who tried and couldn't play jazz. You were asked if they actually practiced jazz for hours a day for years and said no. If they love classical music then of course ... practice it. That's just not reason to say that they **can't** learn to play jazz. It just means they don't want to. And that's fine.
    I am not sure they do not want.
    They want but it is only a dream.
    it is completly different world - classic and jazz.
    anyway I know some "jazz" musicians that have problems with swing and right time.They also practising a lot...:-)

User Info Menu

I am not sure they do not want.
    They want but it is only a dream.
    it is completly different world - classic and jazz.
    anyway I know some "jazz" musicians that have problems with swing and right time.They also practising a lot...:-)
    But you seem to be missing the point or perhaps you weren't sure how to ask your question. They CAN learn jazz. If the question is whether or not everyone can learn jazz without sacrificing their skill level at other styles or compromising their schedules then the answer is "no" ... but that wasn't the question.

User Info Menu

what is your opinion about that?
    I'll get back to you in another 10 years and let ya know!

User Info Menu

It's always a dream. Do you think they could just PLAY classical music because they just dreamed about it? They took lessons and practiced, probably for years. They listened to their heros play classical music and dreamed all the while. Why do you think jazz, improvising or composing is any different? Dreams and desire have to be followed by the correct estimation of effort in order to see through to the realization of your dreams. Always.

User Info Menu

But you seem to be missing the point or perhaps you weren't sure how to ask your question. They CAN learn jazz. If the question is whether or not everyone can learn jazz without sacrificing their skill level at other styles or compromising their schedules then the answer is "no" ... but that wasn't the question.
    everything is possible.

User Info Menu

what about the blues? is everyone feel it good? blues is a root of jazz in my opinion... just my 2c...s
    There are thousands of videos on youtube that show not everyone can play the blues. Most anyone can learn to make sounds come out of their instrument and than apply those sounds over chord progressions. Not everyone can do this in a compelling way.

Blues is a life long study just as jazz is imo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    It's always a dream. Do you think they could just PLAY classical music because they just dreamed about it? They took lessons and practiced, probably for years. They listened to their heros play classical music and dreamed all the while. Why do you think jazz, improvising or composing is any different? Dreams and desire have to be followed by the correct estimation of effort in order to see through to the realization of your dreams. Always.
    That is only "dream".They did not know how hard work it is...but it is not my problem because I know how hard work is to be good classic player. I/ve played classic music before and do not want to play it any more...

User Info Menu

everything is possible.
    I don't think it's possible without putting in the requisite work.

User Info Menu

i can't think of a single challenging endeavor that "everyone" can do. i think that we have to accept that some people are..... uncoordinated as hell.

some people just don't seem to have any pitch or rhythmic sense whatsoever (even though they have internal rhythms). and when they discover this, they tend to give up quickly. and they probably don't care.

it has been my observation that some level of talent, and enough desire to push through difficulties, are critical. even with that, some will only ever be D, C, or B players. so what of the "A" players? many of them don't compose or improvise with any distinction.

great art seems to be quite elusive.

User Info Menu

The saying that you either have it or you don't is a myth.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumblefingers
    has been my observation that some level of talent, and enough desire to push through difficulties, are critical. even with that, some will only ever be D, C, or B players. so what of the "A" players? many of them don't compose or improvise with any distinction.
    True - that's a good point. While maybe every CAN do anything that they're willing to put in the time on, there are certainly predispositions that make it much more likely that someone will put in the time. If you have some natural predispositions it will make the work more tolerable or enjoyable and will likely mean that there will be faster progress.

User Info Menu

No one asked whether one could play or write well. That was not a question I heard or responded to. But I also don't think talent necessarily is the determining factor there either. Maybe it is. But hard work is. And one needs to work beyond the mere instrumental work. One needs to read books, walk through museums, forests, mountains, have monumental love affairs. One needs to experience life and envision it in works of art.
    Last edited by henryrobinett; 05-23-2015 at 12:52 PM. Reason: typos

User Info Menu

But, being able to play Jazz to a high level, like the pro's, Herbie Hancock, Pat Metheny etc, is a lifetime's commitment, dedication and I feel it needs genuine talent.
    Last edited by GuyBoden; 05-23-2015 at 02:15 PM.

User Info Menu

I do believe everyone has it in them to play good improvisational jazz music-, something personal, rhythmically, melodically, harmonically and theoretically sound. It's just that sometimes it takes more than a lifetime to find and then remove the things that stand in our way.
    ' seems the older one is the more difficult it is to believe it can be done. Just my observation.
    David