Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

... death.

See below
    Cause of Death by Music Genre-img_0127-jpg

Funny, isn't it ?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Interesting. I wonder how it would shake out if age (at time of death) was taken into account.

User Info Menu

this is only one level of information so it's difficult to tell what's behind the numbers, but if one had to guess i would place the odds on:

accidental death being driven by drug overdoses or impaired automobile driving accidents - for punk, metal, rock.

heart related death is driven by a bad diet, being obese, smoking and drinking - for blues

cancer is driven by smoking and drinking - for jazz and folk.

User Info Menu

"Figures don't lie but liars figure." You just gotta figure out how to stay alive!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumblefingers
    this is only one level of information so it's difficult to tell what's behind the numbers, but if one had to guess i would place the odds on:

accidental death being driven by drug overdoses or impaired automobile driving accidents - for punk, metal, rock.
    Well, accidental deaths are most common among the young, regardless of their taste in music.

As for accidental deaths of musicians (mostly jazz)
    Drowned: Albert Ayler, Jeff Buckley, Randy California, Eddie Costa,
    Car accident: Leon "Chu" Berry. Clifford Brown, Helen Carr (-o, the irony!), Stott LaFarro, Billy Stewart, Calder Spanier (-hit by a car), Frank Teschemacher
    Bomb explosion: Al Bowlly
    "Botched operation": Eddie Lang,
    Plane crash: Glenn Miller
    Shot by family member / spouse / sweetheart: Marvin Gaye, Lee Morgan,
    Fatal injuries from club brawl: Jaco Pastorius, Chano Pozo
    Boating accident: Art Porter,
    Hit by a train: Woody Shaw
    Gun accident: Lem Winchester

By the way, where does tuberculosis fit in on the scale in the OP? Jimmy Blanton, Charlie Christian, and Fats Navarro died of TB.

User Info Menu

We could call an actuarial and get some more data.

User Info Menu

I'm kind of doubtful this chart is very scientific. It just looks like your typical facebook bullshit post to get likes or people talking and/or arguing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Well, accidental deaths are most common among the young, regardless of their taste in music.

As for accidental deaths of musicians (mostly jazz)
    Drowned: Albert Ayler, Jeff Buckley, Randy California, Eddie Costa,
    Car accident: Leon "Chu" Berry. Clifford Brown, Helen Carr (-o, the irony!), Stott LaFarro, Billy Stewart, Calder Spanier (-hit by a car), Frank Teschemacher
    Bomb explosion: Al Bowlly
    "Botched operation": Eddie Lang,
    Plane crash: Glenn Miller
    Shot by family member / spouse / sweetheart: Marvin Gaye, Lee Morgan,
    Fatal injuries from club brawl: Jaco Pastorius, Chano Pozo
    Boating accident: Art Porter,
    Hit by a train: Woody Shaw

By the way, where does tuberculosis fit in on the scale in the OP? Jimmy Blanton, Charlie Christian, and Fats Navarro died of TB.
    Shaw hit by a train huh? damn, didn't know that.

User Info Menu

cancer is driven by smoking and drinking - for jazz and folk.
    Or perhaps less destructive lifestyles in comparison to the others prolonging life. The cancer seems to finally get you if you live long enough. Unjust reward for escaping the others.

I would like to see more of the backup data myself.

User Info Menu

I agree with the above post. If you look at the cancer rate among rap and hip hop...they don't live long enough to develop cancers. While the homicide rate among them is higher because of youth and the environment in which the came from.

User Info Menu

Advances in medicine have helped too. Some jazz musicians died of pneumonia, for example. That's still possible but it's less common now due to antibiotics.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Frethack
    Or perhaps less destructive lifestyles in comparison to the others prolonging life. The cancer seems to finally get you if you live long enough. Unjust reward for escaping the others.

I would like to see more of the backup data myself.
    Well I guess that it's all relative when it comes to being self destructive...

User Info Menu

Shaw hit by a train huh? damn, didn't know that.
    I think he had some drug issues and also very bad eyesight which didn't help. Wikipedia has this:

By the late 1980s Shaw was suffering from an incurable degenerative eye disease and was losing his eyesight. Details of the accident are unclear, but on February 27, 1989, Shaw was struck by a subway car in Brooklyn, NY, which severed his left arm. Shaw suffered complications in the hospital and died of kidney failure on May 10, 1989.

User Info Menu

As Conan the Barbarian said when asked for mercy by an aggressor, "Death is a mercy of sorts..."

In the case of some people, given the state of their life, I kind of find this to be true.

I had a coworker who was in a horrible marriage, with stepkids that were ungrateful and always in trouble, step grandkids that did not respect him, a mother-in-law that he helped take care of who had dementia and was aggressive towards him, and an unfaithful, alcoholic wife that would not work but spent his money faster than he could make it and constantly told him how worthless he was. He also had many stress-related health problems since he worked 3 different jobs at age 53 and no kids of his own. After being diagnosed with cancer by the doctor, he said he actually felt relief. His last few months he really seemed at peace and after he passed on, his family predictably fell into ruin fighting amongst each other since then no longer had him to pile on.

(Sorry - could not resist)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    As Conan the Barbarian said when asked for mercy by an aggressor, "Death is a mercy of sorts..."

In the case of some people, given the state of their life, I kind of find this to be true.

I had a coworker who was in a horrible marriage, with stepkids that were ungrateful and always in trouble, step grandkids that did not respect him, a mother-in-law that he helped take care of who had dementia and was aggressive towards him, and an unfaithful, alcoholic wife that would not work but spent his money faster than he could make it and constantly told him how worthless he was. He also had many stress-related health problems since he worked 3 different jobs at age 53 and no kids of his own. After being diagnosed with cancer by the doctor, he said he actually felt relief. His last few months he really seemed at peace and after he passed on, his family predictably fell into ruin fighting amongst each other since then no longer had him to pile on.

(Sorry - could not resist)

or doctor to Bill Evans... Bill if you don't stop getting high you will die soon! Bill to doctor, if I don't get high I can't play, if I can't play I want to die!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes

.... and what about Beretta ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    or doctor to Bill Evans... Bill if you don't stop getting high you will die soon! Bill to doctor, if I don't get high I can't play, if I can't play I want to die!
    Some jazz musician referred to Bill Evans as "the longest suicide in history."

Interestingly I can't play unless totally sober. Even one beer screws up my chops. I must not have enough chops.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara

Interestingly I can't play unless totally sober. Even one beer screws up my chops. I must not have enough chops.
    I'm the same way. Any kind of drugs or alcohol make me more self-conscious than normal, which is debilitating. When I was young I sang often in a bar but a) it was mostly Dylan stuff, so chops weren't required and b) I would nurse a draft beer for an hour and then say 'ah, it's too warm,' and have the bartender pour it out.

User Info Menu

With Bill it was heroin, was it not? If so that's not high, it's low, right?

User Info Menu

With Bill it was heroin, was it not? If so that's not high, it's low, right?
    Are you asking if it's an upper no it isn't, it the most amazing of highs and most use it to block out distractions. It slows the system and enhances the senses. But like everything it affects everyone differently. One well know guitarist I talked to about his time on junk he said he could hear things that he normally wouldn't. He said later after cleaning up and becoming a teacher that what he felt he learned playing on junk can be learned without it, but it would probably take ten years to do it.

User Info Menu

Are you asking if it's an upper no it isn't, it the most amazing of highs and most use it to block out distractions. It slows the system and enhances the senses. But like everything it affects everyone differently. One well know guitarist I talked to about his time on junk he said he could hear things that he normally wouldn't. He said later after cleaning up and becoming a teacher that what he felt he learned playing on junk can be learned without it, but it would probably take ten years to do it.
    Thanks for the jazzer perspective Doc, but yes you are correct, my question has nothing to do with jazz. Medicine or science wise, I don't believe that smack is a stimulant. I understand it to be a narcotic. That would be a "downer" in druggie parlance, yes?

User Info Menu

Thanks for the jazzer perspective Doc, but yes you are correct, my question has nothing to do with jazz. Medicine or science wise, I don't believe that smack is a stimulant. I understand it to be a narcotic. That would be a "downer" in druggie parlance, yes?
    Yes.

User Info Menu

Well, it seems quite fitting that the blues cats mostly die of a broken heart (y'know, cuz their baby left 'em, etc.)

User Info Menu

their baby done left 'em.

User Info Menu

They didn't " woke up this morning".