The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Posts 176 to 200 of 228

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    disagree. I thought it was fabulous and for a movie about to jazz to win major hollywood awards was a huge win for the music. How was it not about jazz, lol!

And i've never been physically threatened but having played in a ton of college and rehearsal big bands it seemed pretty realistic to me. So did the psychology of the drummer and his approach to life. I sure identified with it.
    ... about psychology of a drummer ... I totally agree, drummers are like that, especially when they are 19.

... for identification ...
    I constantly had to remind my self that he was just a 19 years old kid, the age of the charachter being responsible for the good part of what may have appeared not fully thought out, or develloped, which actually proves charachter was really well thought out and develloped. However, since it was not made for audience (me) natural to fall for it, as I said, I had to consciously remind my self what I was watching, it failed just a bit short on being fabulous.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I just realized, if they would have had him getting the girl in the end, this would have been a remake of "An Officer and a Gentleman."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DRS
    I just realized, if they would have had him getting the girl in the end, this would have been a remake of "An Officer and a Gentleman."
    or Full Metal Jacket with drum sticks instead of guns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DRS
    Boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets get back (and plays a lot of drums)?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumblefingers
    Boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets get back (and plays a lot of drums)?
    No, The Journey of the Hero.

User Info Menu

If I didn't say this before, I loved the movie. Looking forward to watching it again.

I just thought of something to throw out there. As I said before, the movie plays out almost totally from the perspective of the drum student. What if it was (mostly) a fantasy? What if it was his extremely biased perception of what was going on? Maybe the Simmons character was tough, but not a psychopath. However, the student perceived him that way...

I say this because many of us have known teachers or coaches or colleagues that some people respond very negatively to, yet we know that is not the whole story. Maybe in the stress of the moment we hate them, but later we come to appreciate them. As one example, I found Bobby Knight's antics ridiculous, but there were a lot of players who came to his defense.

Anyway, the key to understanding this movie is realizing that it's the student's biased viewpoint.

User Info Menu

This was already posted a few weeks ago, but worth a repost....

User Info Menu

I got around to watching it last night. The thing that struck me as the most off was the approach that the student was taking to increase his speed. In a movie you need to show the effort of someone straining, and failing repeatedly. In real life we all know that to play fast you need to be relaxed, and put in a lot of slow, precise practice. And, of course, over practicing to the point of injury is not a good idea either.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonzo
    In real life we all know that to play fast you need to be relaxed, and put in a lot of slow, precise practice. And, of course, over practicing to the point of injury is not a good idea either.
    Really? I was so inspired after that movie, I went out and bought the heaviest guitar I could find, put razor ribbon on for strings and stood on a stool over boiling water. When I finally passed out, my fingers were cut to shreads, I had third degree burns, I broke my leg and I was blind in one eye. BUT... I could play like Jim Hall! Finally!!
    David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    Really? I was so inspired after that movie, I went out and bought the heaviest guitar I could find, put razor ribbon on for strings and stood on a stool over boiling water. When I finally passed out, my fingers were cut to shreads, I had third degree burns, I broke my leg and I was blind in one eye. BUT... I could play like Jim Hall! Finally!!
    David

Reminds me of being a kid starting guitar and none of us had much money so we'd buy these Black Diamond strings they were the cheapest, but dam things would corrode and start feeling like running your finger up and down a saw blade. But we wanted to play guitar so we dealt with it. Then all the sports injuries and so on over the years. As the saying goes No Pain, No Gain.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    As the saying goes No Pain, No Gain.
    I guess that makes Lee Morgan the greatest trumpeter of all time
    David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    I guess that makes Lee Morgan the greatest trumpeter of all time
    David
    and be careful who you sleep with.... bitches be crazy!

User Info Menu

I enjoyed the movie ascribing no real sense of reality. Loved the music and the drumming. It did have that feel of Eastern self-discipline, tiger mom, tough love, total devotion to attaining perfection vibe, which in today's world, can beat the alternative extreme. Hokey ending, but hey, entertaining none-the-less. Thumbs up.

It really doesn't matter to me that guitar players are seen as musical illiterates, but it does bother me to hear a rock or metal guitar player say it is better to be self taught and musically ignorant. We all play for different reasons and aspire to different levels, but a LOT of rockers don't seem to have a high level of commitment to the music or the instrument.
    Last edited by zigzag; 03-19-2015 at 03:47 PM.

User Info Menu

okay...

User Info Menu

Am I fooled, or he really was rushing and dragging, as requested by screenplay, Weird Al?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

One never really forgets their first ex.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ah.clem
    One never really forgets their first ex.
    Oh! You knew her TOO?!!
    David

User Info Menu

Ouch!!!

User Info Menu

I just got it from netflix, and found myself laughing at every scene. It was a comedy, wasn't it?

User Info Menu

i laughed or smiled at most of the movie as well. enjoyed it immensely.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I just got it from netflix, and found myself laughing at every scene. It was a comedy, wasn't it?
    At every scene? wow, really? no way! really? Man, you just soooooooo cool!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    At every scene? wow, really? no way! really? Man, you just soooooooo cool!
    I know.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I know.
    Humble too

User Info Menu

What? You mean it wasn't a comedy?
    Oh, sorry.