The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Does anyone know of one? Like a book club, but we listen to a jazz album, talk about it a bit? Online would be best.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Interesting idea, but to really get into all aspects maybe a song versus an album???

User Info Menu

I agree with the doc, it's definitely an interesting concept. I'd love to have a set time of the week in which we discuss music. A man can certainly dream.

User Info Menu

Badge,

Why dont you start one right now? Name an album for the first week... I have my amazon page always open...

User Info Menu

Give it a go.

I remember years ago---the '80s---about 20 people scattered throughout the US and Canada made cassettes of what they were listening to and a set list (with whatever background notes they felt like adding) and sent it to the next person on the loop. Might take 2-3 years for a tape I sent out to get back to me, but boy, I heard a lot of stuff I never would have heard about otherwise. This isn't the same thing, of course, but the experience taught me that sharing music binds people in a memorable way.

User Info Menu

In college a lot of guys have listening hangs when they're not playing. Usually sit around a pair of speakers and listen to a record or two, then talk about it and transcribe bits and pieces of it in group. I'm sure you could find some sort of group to do this with, with things like facebook and twitter.

User Info Menu

Let's do this.

User Info Menu

So what will be the first listen?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Give it a go.

I remember years ago---the '80s---about 20 people scattered throughout the US and Canada made cassettes of what they were listening to and a set list (with whatever background notes they felt like adding) and sent it to the next person on the loop. Might take 2-3 years for a tape I sent out to get back to me, but boy, I heard a lot of stuff I never would have heard about otherwise. This isn't the same thing, of course, but the experience taught me that sharing music binds people in a memorable way.
    Oh man!~ We did this on the Miles List years ago. They were Miles Live tapes I believe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by srlank
    So what will be the first listen?

User Info Menu

I could probably make suggestions, but I know there's a lot of music out there that's not in my listening spectrum. So I would rather hear from other folks who might have have a more extensive listening experience than my own.

I'm pretty open-minded to a variety of genres and eras; but though the Lawrence Welk may be 'easy listening,' it is not an easy listen for me. However, to each your own!
    Last edited by srlank; 01-01-2015 at 12:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Anyone want to start this? I'd do it...but y'all gonna have to live with my choice of record

User Info Menu

I'll do it if it's a song to song basis.

User Info Menu

I like the album basis. There's a whole arc to an artist that can be seen in a complete CD. A song is almost meaningless in terms of getting the picture of an artist. Even a single CD leaves a lot out of the overall. And on an album people vary in terms of what they like.

User Info Menu

I like the album idea too. People could focus in on one song if they wanted...

Ok, here's my idea. I'm going to start a thread called "The listening room" and I'll pm badge so he can pick the first album. It'll run for one month...whoever the last commenter is (on jan 31st) will be in charge of picking the next record and starting the February thread...should it be the OP, it goes to whoever is above them. How's that sound?

I'll wait for a few posts and see if anybody has other ideas to tweak it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    I nominate
    Jazz listening club-way-out-west-5028ea92c8804-jpg

User Info Menu

I PM'd Badge...hopefully he'll get back to me today. I'd really like to give him the chance to pick since it was his idea. If not, I'd be willing...and oddly enough, I was thinking about a Rollins record too...

User Info Menu

Joshua Redman on his Back East CD does several of the tunes from Rollins' Way Out West and some tunes with an Eastern tinge. Might be fun to compare and contrast.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I like the album idea too. People could focus in on one song if they wanted...

Ok, here's my idea. I'm going to start a thread called "The listening room" and I'll pm badge so he can pick the first album. It'll run for one month...whoever the last commenter is (on jan 31st) will be in charge of picking the next record and starting the February thread...should it be the OP, it goes to whoever is above them. How's that sound?

I'll wait for a few posts and see if anybody has other ideas to tweak it.
    Would there be any regulations on styles, just so we don't end up having whole bunch of people choose similar bebop records and say, only one fusion record? I think it might be good if there is a suggestion to try to vary the next record in terms of era.

User Info Menu

I think we have a diverse enough crowd here that that wouldn't happen.

User Info Menu

Good idea. I'm in.

destinytot Guest
    I'd like to join in, too!

User Info Menu

Alright...I'll give Badge the day to get back to me...if not, we're gonna be diggin' some Sonny. Which is good, because everyone should dig Sonny.