The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

He folks, I have been using NetFlix recently and found a few good things on there. I figured I would start a thread that I and others could contribute to. I am not sure if these film sets are available to all regions or how the service/copyright geography works globally but here we go.

Ken Burns: Jazz
    Acclaimed filmmaker Ken Burns celebrates jazz, the "most American art form," by following its substantial growth and development over the decades.

Icons Among Us
    This documentary harnesses the revolutionary new styles and sounds of jazz through performance footage and interviews with contemporary greats.

Life After Django Reinhardt
    Born to Gypsy parents in 1910, musical genius Django Reinhardt is considered by many to be the single most important guitarist in the history of jazz.

If I find anything else that is any good I'll post.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

These guys where jazz musician, so perhaps this one counts?

Standing in the Shadows of Motown

music-infused documentary chronicles the reunion of the Funk Brothers -- the anonymous backup group that from 1959 to 1972 provided the music for nearly every hit produced by Berry Gordy's famous Motown Records.

User Info Menu

also..

The Benny Goodman Story..

The Gene Krupa Story...

Man With The Golden Horn...

I know their are others but at this moment in time I cannot think of them...

I'll do some research too...

time on the instrument

User Info Menu

There is a decent discussion on the topic from a few years ago:
    Jazz DVDs available from Netflix - Jazz Bulletin Board

For a couple of live performances:

-The Way Up Live-Pat Metheny Group

-Carlos Santana and Wayne Shorter at the Montreux Jazz Festival

-Bill Evans Trio: The Oslo Concerts

-Diana Krall: Live in Rio

-The Crusaders: Live at Montreux 2003

And a film I came across:

-Icons Among Us

All pretty good stuff. And I must say I prefer "The Way Up Live" to the album version released in 2005. It's not quite as comprehensive but you can't beat the Metheny Group in a live setting.

User Info Menu

"Chops" is cool. It's a film about HS students working to go to the "Essentially Ellington" competition. I enjoyed it!

User Info Menu

I think Clint Eastwood produced a film about Charlie Parker but the name escapes me at the moment. Maybe someone can help me with that.

wiz

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Derekdaman
    "Chops" is cool. It's a film about HS students working to go to the "Essentially Ellington" competition. I enjoyed it!
    My gf subscribes to Netflix. We also watched and enjoyed "Chops."

Wiz, the movie to which you refer is simply called "Bird." It's gotten mixed reviews, but I've liked it enough to see it several times over the years. Forrest Whitaker certainly gave his typically terrific performance as Parker as did Diane Venora as his wife. I think Dizzy criticized it for focusing too much on Bird's addiction and not enough on his huge contributions to the music. Definitely worth a look to decide for yourself.

I believe Netflix also has several of these Jazz Icons performance features. I watched the Sonny Rollins and Mingus ones, the later of which includes some great Eric Dolphy shortly before his way too early death.

Matt

User Info Menu

Another Eastwood movie closing scene around christmas time...

Kenny Burrell playing "Little Drummer Boy" from his album Have Yourself A Very Merry Christmas....

good stuff from a great player...

time on the instrument

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    I think Clint Eastwood produced a film about Charlie Parker but the name escapes me at the moment. Maybe someone can help me with that.

wiz
    "Bird" was the Eastwood film, starring Forrest Whitaker. It is one of the darkest movies you'll ever see...or perhaps I should say strain to see. There's little light that hit the film. While you're at it, you might as well track down "Round Midnight" with Dexter Gordon. I seem to remember John McLaughlin making an appearance.

User Info Menu

'Round Midnight' w/Dextor Gordon was a good movie. I really enjoyed it.

User Info Menu

"Jazz on a Summer's Day", The 1958 Newport Jazz festival. Great flick. Lots of good stuff, but worth it just for the Anita O'Day set.

Netflix - Unlimited TV Shows & Movies Online

User Info Menu

Just watched "Calle 54" streaming on netflix. some great stuff, including Tito puente with hilton ruiz, jerry gonzales, eliane elias, michel camilo, chucho valdez. Your time will improve just by watching TV!

User Info Menu

Don't know if they are on Netflix but also worth checking out are:

Let's Get Lost - Chet Baker Documentary
    Jim Hall - A life in progress - documentary
    Kansas City - movie by (I think) Alan Parker - with 1930s Kansas City swing as a backdrop to the action
    Sweet & Lowdown - Woody Allan movie about a Django style jazz guitarist

User Info Menu

"Life after Django Reinhardt" is not available for streaming here. Maybe there are restrictions- US only?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I thought The Jazz Baroness was on Netflix. Could be wrong. Probably am.