The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 81

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by timscarey
    I agree with robertm2000, reg, jazzpunk, and Mr. B.

Jazz is just fine, and should be happy that it survived. A lot of music didn't.
    Jazz is just fine...
    but where is the market for jazz?...people like fast money and market is for fast money/DJ,disco staff,dance competitions,TV shows etc/.
    Jazz is a Great Music but who know about that?
    ops ...I know about that...:-)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Jazz is just fine...
    but where is the market for jazz?...people like fast money and market is for fast money/DJ,disco staff,dance competitions,TV shows etc/.
    Jazz is a Great Music but who know about that?
    ops ...I know about that...:-)
    If you base it on money.....

Jazz still wins. If you take a survey of all of the people who get paid to play music, jazz still wins. You're comparing a handful of pop musicians to hundreds of thousands of jazz musicians.

User Info Menu

If you base it on money.....

Jazz still wins. If you take a survey of all of the people who get paid to play music, jazz still wins. You're comparing a handful of pop musicians to hundreds of thousands of jazz musicians.
    sorry...You do not understand me!
    I am not comparing jazz...JAZZ IS MUCH BETTER THAT ANY KIND OF MUSIC.
    The people do not interested in jazz beacause it is too difficult music to do buisnes with it.
    Somebody told :" if you say "jazz" you loose job"...
    Last edited by kris; 05-14-2012 at 04:06 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    sorry...You do not understand me!
    I am not comparing jazz...JAZZ IS MUCH BETTER THAT ANY KIND OF MUSIC.
    The people do not interested in jazz beacause it is too difficult music to do buisnes with it.
    Somebody told :" if you say "jazz" you loose job"...
    I would actually argue the opposite. It seems to me that jazz musicians are really the ones getting paid. Granted, not always to play jazz, but more often than not it is jazz. Weddings, events, casuals, etc.... Jazz is the engine of the background music world. Not to mention, the jazz cats are the ones who get the best sideman gigs. Am I delusional? Maybe im in denial, but I know way more jazz musicians who work regularly than other music speciality.

User Info Menu

I would actually argue the opposite. It seems to me that jazz musicians are really the ones getting paid. Granted, not always to play jazz, but more often than not it is jazz. Weddings, events, casuals, etc.... Jazz is the engine of the background music world. Not to mention, the jazz cats are the ones who get the best sideman gigs. Am I delusional? Maybe im in denial, but I know way more jazz musicians who work regularly than other music speciality.
    Yes, I agree, up to a point, because they're musically equipped, resources at their fingertips, far more than simple pop or rock musicians, and even more than most *classical ones. The point up to which I agree is that many of the jazz musicians churned out by performing arts schools aren't really jazz musicians, they've just learned the mechanics. But if you need a musician for the sort of gig you're talking about and want no-hassle yeah I can do/sight-read/play that, he's likely to have some jazz competence.

But anyway this thread is What Happened to Jazz? So it isn't supposed to be about the musicians but the genre - and how it has lost the connections it once had with a) a mass public and b) a raunchy, fun-loving, drug-taking, vanguardistic one. Why is jazz not really relevant any more?

*I once played a wedding with a classical pianist who was surprised to learn that most rock 'n' roll songs had a twelve-bar blues structure.

User Info Menu

All the good jazz players I know.... all have work. Granted not all smokin jazz gigs, but most gigs are what you make of them.

I'm a jazz player that can cover almost any gig... and I cover some gigs that aren't jazz... but I bring jazz elements to the gig, and when the audiences start to dig the music... I'm promoting jazz. A rock or blues player usually can't cover...

I played a somewhat usually boring gig Friday, Pn. Guit and Drs... very upscale restaurant, usually quite cool background music. I was sub. for different guitarist... So instead of being coool... I started burnin, somewhat funky, even hip hopish feel... but very much jazz... High Octane Jazz.

The crowd started to come alive... clapping and letting us know we were playin the right stuff. Next thing the bartenders are sending us drinks... people are having a good time, there spending $.

Jazz is still doing fine... we as players need to get out shit together, I mean you can't expect a crowd to get excited about players covering fake book jazz , and not as well as it was covered 50 years ago.
    +1 to Tim's post...
    Reg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Jazz is still doing fine... we as players need to get out shit together, I mean you can't expect a crowd to get excited about players covering fake book jazz , and not as well as it was covered 50 years ago.
    +1 to Tim's post...
    Reg
    +1,000,000. MADE BIGGER FOR THE BLIND, DEAF AND DUMB.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paynow
    +1,000,000. MADE BIGGER FOR THE BLIND, DEAF AND DUMB.
    And damnit if that's not where MY money is coming in now. 3 or 4 times a week. There is a timelessness to good music. I'm doing quite a few different things musically, whatever pays the bills, but the standards with a singer and horn player up to full band is working a lot. I'm not saying it's right, but it's getting me a lot of work.

User Info Menu

I am in another country...so may be it is different situation.
    It was better here few years ago.Weddings, events, casuals, etc..Theses gigs stoped at all.A lot of top musicians practise at home and waiting for better times.
    I can say: I played a lot of "jazz" events before /weddings, events, casuals, etc..../ but last year only two.
    Profesional jazz club at my area has now only two days jazz gigs/payed from the tickets/and rest of the week disco happy nights.What is going on?
    Places with realy jazz concerts have financial problems.

User Info Menu

when jazz quit being dance music, lets have a party music and turned to sit and listen to me music is when it turned in my book and a lot of others as well. A lot of live jazz now has most or all of the fun taken out of it.

a person going out to see a band shouldnt have to work to find the band having fun it should be on display easy to see.

when you see a revival of a jazz style it seems to be related to a "scene" of a more light hearted "lets have fun" era like swing, or gypsy jazz you see a lot of younger bands now using elements of 20's, 30's era jazz.

User Info Menu

I'm playing 2 gigs on the same day next month. One gig is doing 3 sets with a big band, and the other gig is one set that includes Toby Keith covers. Guess which one is the paying gig?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    I'm playing 2 gigs on the same day next month. One gig is doing 3 sets with a big band, and the other gig is one set that includes Toby Keith covers. Guess which one is the paying gig?
    Maybe they do not pay...:-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fauves
    when jazz quit being dance music, lets have a party music and turned to sit and listen to me music is when it turned in my book and a lot of others as well. A lot of live jazz now has most or all of the fun taken out of it.

a person going out to see a band shouldnt have to work to find the band having fun it should be on display easy to see.

when you see a revival of a jazz style it seems to be related to a "scene" of a more light hearted "lets have fun" era like swing, or gypsy jazz you see a lot of younger bands now using elements of 20's, 30's era jazz.
    There's a lot of truth in what you say. Many people are alienated from jazz simply because they don't go out just to listen to music, but to chat and have a few drinks, or to dance.
    We as artists get our panties in a bunch when the odd clueless person walks in on our gig and starts acting like it's a pub gig(I've witnessed it happen to some unbelievable players). Of course, those who are really into jazz listen closely, and to them those people are a nuisance. Either way there's a compromise. I can't think of a way to appeal to both groups of people at the same time without alienating one of them. If you look past the getting paid part, I'd pick those who listen any day. But we all have bills to pay.

User Info Menu

I think you nailed it. I don't play well enough to beat Martino in a cage match. I do play well enough for people to have a good time while listening to jazzier music. The gigs are coming in fast and pay well (up to 5 days a week now)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Billnc
    I think you nailed it. I don't play well enough to beat Martino in a cage match. I do play well enough for people to have a good time while listening to jazzier music. The gigs are coming in fast and pay well (up to 5 days a week now)
    Nice!

User Info Menu

Last year at Chicago's jazz fest, I watched a few thousand people sit quiety riveted by David Sanchez's band featuring Stefon Harris as they played music from "90 Miles" and "Cultural Survival."

Riveted. And if you've heard this stuff...well..it ain't no Michael Buble.

Jazz is fine...it's audience just likes to listen to it instead of jitterbug to it. We all still had a great time, I can guarantee you that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzpunk
    I go out to see live jazz all the time. I guess that's why I'm not wondering what happened to it.
    I like this point. As a boring married guy with kids I find myself wondering why the music scene sucks. But I realized that I never go out. I've been forcing myself out a bit more and I'm finding some nice stuff going on. I find some some awful three cord strummers playing Jimmy Buffet tunes too.... There seems to be a lot of Jazz "jams" that go on where one guy gets paid to round up everyone who'll play for free. Early jazz still goes over really well with the general public, if it's rowdy and danceable, people seem to react. Otherwise, academic music is for academic musicians. I sometimes like to think of myself like a punk rocker. The punk rocker doesn't want everyone to like what he does, he only want's other punk rockers to respect him.

User Info Menu

I think some of the jazzers who cross over to a more contemporary or pop sound, like Bella Fleck or Danny Gatton, who are becoming more accepted, even by more discriminating listeners.

User Info Menu

Strickland the Punk ref is a good one. your right a lot of folks (me included if I am honest) wan't to be in the know. be in on what is more refined. thats fine and I didn't mean jazz combos should come with a d.j. !

but...music as a uplifting experience. thats not a bad thing. We all complain about the junk on modern radio appealing to the lowest common factors...just saying some of the lowest factors like, fun, happy, socializing, and not being afraid to laugh or get up to buy a drink so you dont get dirty looks can be missing in a lot of "sit and listen" groups.

User Info Menu

Strickland the Punk ref is a good one. your right a lot of folks (me included if I am honest) wan't to be in the know. be in on what is more refined. thats fine and I didn't mean jazz combos should come with a d.j. !

but...music as a uplifting experience. thats not a bad thing. We all complain about the junk on modern radio appealing to the lowest common factors...just saying some of the lowest factors like, fun, happy, socializing, and not being afraid to laugh or get up to buy a drink so you dont get dirty looks can be missing in a lot of "sit and listen" groups.
    It's really dependent on the venue and the act for me personally. Neighborhood bar with jazz in the corner? Great, let's drink and chat it up! Jazz venue that charges $50 to see Chick Corea w/ a two drink minimum? I sure as hell don't want to hear the people next to me yapping all night.

Maybe there is room in jazz for both?

User Info Menu

Jazz is just a word.... Improvisation and creativity in music will always be around ...thats what musician love and do....call it jazz ...i think musicians know its art... call it what u want .....But just keep doin It ...Barret..... Play it !!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Barret
    Jazz is just a word.... Improvisation and creativity in music will always be around ...thats what musician love and do....call it jazz ...i think musicians know its art... call it what u want .....But just keep doin It ...Barret..... Play it !!!
    That sounds good!

User Info Menu

Reading through these posts I can't help but notice what seems like an age discrepancy. Namely a lack of people from my generation.

I'm 19 and just finished my first year of college, and I'm really starting to cut a set of chops and get into the local music scene big time. There are a number of cool jazz clubs in Minneapolis that I go to pretty regularly.

I'm not sure what it means for the future of music but it it somewhat discouraging not to see anyone else my age when I'm listening to jazz. Part of the reason I came to this forum is that I only know a couple cats who are into jazz; and I wanted to find a community of people to talk to about the music we're all into.

Anyway, for what its worth cheers from the next generation of jazzers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HighResolution
    Reading through these posts I can't help but notice what seems like an age discrepancy. Namely a lack of people from my generation.

I'm 19 and just finished my first year of college, and I'm really starting to cut a set of chops and get into the local music scene big time. There are a number of cool jazz clubs in Minneapolis that I go to pretty regularly.

I'm not sure what it means for the future of music but it it somewhat discouraging not to see anyone else my age when I'm listening to jazz. Part of the reason I came to this forum is that I only know a couple cats who are into jazz; and I wanted to find a community of people to talk to about the music we're all into.

Anyway, for what its worth cheers from the next generation of jazzers.
    Welcome. It's always been this way for the most part. I didn't really get into it until I was about your age and my father was a bassist so I grew up with it; at least I had the advantage that I was constantly exposed to it. Most kids aren't and they tend to like what's popular. Not that all of the stuff that's popular is bad.

It's good to see guys your age carrying the torch and you're in the right place for good advice. Hang around and I promise you will learn a lot.

User Info Menu

I wish my parents had been into Wes Montgomery or Miles Davis instead of Percy Faith and Mitch Miller.