The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 54

User Info Menu

Bit of a rough take, but this has been a fun one.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Any time spent transcribing Grant Green is quality time. Nice!

User Info Menu

Goin hard

User Info Menu

One day you'll play something that moves me, not just stand there playing a lot of fast notes.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Well, it was quite cheeky, I suppose. Actually, I preferred panasonic's version to Grant Green's :-)

User Info Menu

We call it a transcription.

User Info Menu

Oh, you mean you were playing his notes. Well, in that case he's not bad now and again :-)

User Info Menu

Eyeroll

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Any time spent transcribing Grant Green is quality time. Nice!
    Yeah I’ve been working a bunch on his stuff from the Gooden’s Corner album with Sonny Clarke

So far I’ve done this one and Green Dolphin Street.
    Last edited by pamosmusic; 04-25-2024 at 08:48 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    One day you'll play something that moves me, not just stand there playing a lot of fast notes.
    Can't you just try to be a bit nicer and more positive?

You've literally made OVER 9000 posts on this forum, and all I remember is negativity and grumpiness.

Just let the guy post what he is working on, and wanted to share it with us, and let him have his moment.
    You don't need to comment on it, if you don't like it. You can move on and put on recording that moves you, without writing a comment.
    When I saw the video, I felt inspired to go and practise and transcribe more Grant Green. So I think it's cool that he shared this.

I've listened several sound clips that you've posted and if I didn't get inspired by it or felt it "moved" me, then I simply moved on without expressing it in a comment, because it doesn't matter, neither to me nor to you or anyone.
    I assume working on and making these recordings adds value to your life and means something to you, and that's enough. Keep playing the way you enjoy and continue enjoying, and let other people enjoy whatever they enjoy.
    Last edited by orri; 04-25-2024 at 11:12 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic View Post
    Yeah I’ve been working a bunch on his stuff from the Gooden’s Corner album with Sonny Clarke

So far I’ve done this one and Green Dolphin Street.
    Great choices. Grant was really on his game at this time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by orri View Post
    ...You've literally made OVER 9000 posts on this forum, and all I remember is negativity and grumpiness...
    If that's true, then expecting someone to change because you asked nicely is naïve at best. The ignore function can help shield you from the "negativity and grumpiness" you describe. It can also reduce your exposure to unnecessary stupidity as well.

User Info Menu

Great choices. Grant was really on his game at this time.
    Green Dolphin was a goldmine.

I think I’m going to do The Song Is You next

I honestly might just keep picking stuff off that Complete Quartets until I’m tired of it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by orri View Post
    Can't you just try to be a bit nicer and more positive?

You've literally made OVER 9000 posts on this forum, and all I remember is negativity and grumpiness.
    Then you're not reading properly. 99.9% of my posts are either my own musical stuff, helpful stuff (hopefully) for others, or posts with a smiley on them. If all you can remember is negativity and grumpiness then you should look to yourself.

orri? I don't even recognise your name, and that's the truth. Where do you normally hang out? Not on threads where I post, obviously.

The remaining 1% of what I post may be negative if you don't care for someone who says what they think. But I think anyone's allowed 1% to themselves!

And don't forget, orri, you too have the option of ignoring people you don't like and going somewhere else to do your thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzshrink View Post
    If that's true, then expecting someone to change because you asked nicely is naïve at best. The ignore function can help shield you from the "negativity and grumpiness" you describe. It can also reduce your exposure to unnecessary stupidity as well.
    Oh, gosh, just like the old days...

User Info Menu

Green Dolphin was a goldmine.

I think I’m going to do The Song Is You next

I honestly might just keep picking stuff off that Complete Quartets until I’m tired of it.
    You're going to be at it a while

User Info Menu

You're going to be at it a while
    Well that assumes it’ll be a while before I get tired of it

User Info Menu

panasonic -

I see you have supporters. I meant what I said, I preferred watching you play than listening to the Grant Green recording. And, yes, I wouldn't mind seeing you play something with some feeling (or whatever you like) rather than the constant eighths bebop sound. Although I understand the attraction. It's probably just a personal thing :-)

User Info Menu

Grant Green doesn't have feeling. This is definitely a new one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    panasonic -

I see you have supporters. I meant what I said, I preferred watching you play than listening to the Grant Green recording. And, yes, I wouldn't mind seeing you play something with some feeling (or whatever you like) rather than the constant eighths bebop sound. Although I understand the attraction. It's probably just a personal thing :-)
    Oh lord.

Well this is a literal transcription posted in the “Ear Training, Transcribing & Reading” subforum, so you could just go elsewhere.

As for the rest of it … *shrug*

As an aside — it sounds less like I have supporters than like you have detractors, but I digress.

User Info Menu

Grant Green doesn't have feeling. This is definitely a new one.
    Honestly? I find him rather thin and I never warmed to him. I understand a lot of people like him. I'm not saying he can't play, of course.

There's also the question of his prolific number of recordings. That was one of the first things I noticed, that he'd apparently covered almost every tune in the universe. I don't know, that kind of of put me off him for some reason.

I suppose there's also the question of Wes Montgomery. There's the sort of elephant-in-the-room thing between them. I think GG has always felt second-best alongside him and, I think, with good reason. Wes could light up a room with his presence and ability. He brought an immediate excitement with him.

Again, that's a personal preference but I also think it's true beyond personal stuff. But, you know, each to his own.

Incidentally, and this isn't tit-for-tat, can you tell me a 'recording with feeling' of GG's? I may not have heard enough of his stuff and missed it. That's a serious question, I'm not trying to be awkward.

User Info Menu

All of them have feeling but No 1 Green Street smokes.

User Info Menu

Oh lord.

Well this is a literal transcription posted in the “Ear Training, Transcribing & Reading” subforum, so you could just go elsewhere.
    Right, okay.

As an aside — it sounds less like I have supporters than like you have detractors, but I digress.
    By my detractors do I know them :-)

User Info Menu

I honestly think he played with more "feeling" than about 99% of guitar players, but this should probably work.