The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Here's a great Jimmy Raney solo which I transcribed by hand years ago but only recently typed up in Musescore. Some great long lines interspersed with typical Raney phrases where he plays against the beat, anticipates/delays the chord change, etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here's the track:

User Info Menu

Nice one, Graham. A great track from one of Jimmy Raney's finest recordings.

User Info Menu

Thanks, yes that’s one of my favourite Raney albums, with a Rolls-Royce rhythm section too.

I never saw Sam Jones, but I saw Billy Higgins a few times, a wonderful drummer, so tasteful and never too loud. Perfect for a guitar trio! Also he never stopped smiling when playing, it was great to watch him.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Graham, good stuff :-)

User Info Menu

I hope someone gets around to reissuing Louis Stewart's 1979 album, I Thought About You with the same rhythm section.

User Info Menu

Yes that’s a great record, I have it on vinyl.

I believe Livia Records has been reactivated and are reissuing some of Louis’ old recordings, so there’s a chance it might get released eventually.

User Info Menu

Except that one was on Lee Lambert's label. He only released about 5 albums so who knows where the master tapes ended up?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    Except that one was on Lee Lambert's label. He only released about 5 albums so who knows where the master tapes ended up?
    My vinyl copy says ‘coordinated by Livia Records for Lee Lambert Records’ so I’m not sure what that means. However it is mentioned on the new Livia website as being one of their own recordings, for what it’s worth.

Incidentally they have put out a previously unreleased Louis Stewart session (duo with piano), looks interesting:

SOME OTHER BLUES | Louis Stewart Noel Kelehan | Livia Records

User Info Menu

Didn't realise they've just reissued 'Louis the First', that's a superb recording of which I only had a rip from a not-too-good LP, which someone gave me. So I've just purchased and downloaded the new remastered version, it sounds great!

LOUIS THE FIRST | Louis Stewart | Livia Records

User Info Menu

Good news! I'd already grabbed Louis the First but didn't see the duo album. Sounds excellent with Louis on the top of his game.

User Info Menu

Yes I’ll probably get that next.