The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This is one of the first transcriptions I did (about 40 years ago!), Just Friends from Joe’s ‘Catch Me’ album. Originally it was handwritten, but a couple of years ago I input it into Musescore. Anyway it’s a great bebop solo and I got a lot of ideas from it when I started out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This is the track in question:

User Info Menu

Many thanks! Any chance you did a recording of yourself playing it?

User Info Menu

Haha no way, I never learned the whole solo, just absorbed bits and pieces from it. It was hard enough just transcribing it, as I recall I recorded it onto a reel-to-reel tape deck and played it back at half speed.

I should probably go back and work through it properly.

Incidentally I think this was the first jazz guitar album I bought, still got it:

Joe Pass - Just Friends transcription-img_0893-jpeg
    Last edited by grahambop; 02-29-2024 at 04:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Very Nice...played it at 127 bpm with Jazz Pollwinners.Medium Swing.. Real Track.Jazz Brushes .band in box...perfect Lounge music

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Haha no way, I never learned the whole solo, just absorbed bits and pieces from it. It was hard enough just transcribing it, as I recall I recorded it onto a reel-to-reel tape deck and played it back at half speed.

I should probably go back and work through it properly.

Incidentally I think this was the first jazz guitar album I bought, still got it:

Joe Pass - Just Friends transcription-img_0893-jpeg
    hard to imagine a better first album for a budding bop guitarist!