The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    Reminds me a little of a delay pedal I had over 30 years ago (blue) that would make a sound like Steve Howe's guitar sound on the Topographic Oceans album. Trying to recall, it was an extreme setting, I'm thinking maybe it was with the "mix" between wet and dry signals turned to all wet with the delay effect level and duration turned all the way down.

It produced a tone that sounded compressed , minimized attack, flat sustain, a dense "liquid" sound with a little bit of that note change "edgy slur" you get from putting a reverb/delay in front of a distorted gain stage (but without the delay or distortion sound). Most fun was to play as fast a possible yielding super legato.
    I think Kurt Rosenwinkel did this before the POG. There was a specific boss delay that he used iirc. I think on albums like the call and maybe yam yam?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I first heard Mike on one of those Miles Davis ‘comeback’ albums (We Want Miles) and I could hear a lot of the bop lines there, in between the ‘rocking out’ bits.
    That was the album that I first heard Mike as well. I was lucky enough to hear Miles with MS on tour. Figured it might be my only chance to hear Miles here in Vancouver.. Stern was playing a Strat in that band because Miles wanted him to <raspy Miles voice on> Play like Jimi! <raspy Miles voice off>

User Info Menu

Mike Stern's Rig Rundown :