The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 41 of 41

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Parallel motion in thirds is big and clever and will never sound bad. There are melodies based on it, especially on backcycling progs. That’s step one IMO.
    Say more.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

yes, right, please say more. can you point to some youtube videos for this parallel motion? Thanks

User Info Menu

People tend to overlook the fact that Kenny Dorham (who wrote the tune) plays a solo which is basically just the melody repeated several times, with a few embellishments or additions here and there. Which is another valid approach if you’re getting tangled up in all the other methods. Not saying it’s the only way, but it’s a good place to start.

User Info Menu

I don't know why Blue Bossa keeps coming up as a 'problem tune'. Just play it, put in what you like. If it's good, it's good. You could aways play it with two major scales (Eb and Db) if you're really stuck. And get a big clap :-)

User Info Menu

Kenny Dorham
    And lots of m6 stuff over the i.

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I don't know why Blue Bossa keeps coming up as a 'problem tune'. Just play it, put in what you like. If it's good, it's good. You could aways play it with two major scales (Eb and Db) if you're really stuck. And get a big clap :-)

well, that is not bad at all! Congrats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Enricopg
    yes, right, please say more. can you point to some youtube videos for this parallel motion? Thanks
    im not aware of any. But I don’t watch much YouTube jazz guitar content.

Take a tune like attya, autumn leaves or fly me to the moon - examine the melody.

Confirmation is a study in thirds. (Not all Parker things are.)

When I say parallel I mean parallel with the bass. The bass is usually playing roots on beat 1. In a fairly traditional bop/swing setting, parallel fifths or octaves with bass do sound clunky, thirds are always a good choice.

(This is obviously a lot clearer when you are playing solo guitar!

it’s notable how many lines basically orbit around or spiral down to the third of the target chord. Not all of them - but quite a few.

the guide tones (3 and 7) in a backcycling progressions (like the tunes I mentioned) are basically a development of this principle. We use the 7ths to set up the 3rd in the next chord. I would say this is very well understood in jazz education etc, but I’d add that the principle isn’t universally applicable. Thirds always sound good tho….

Soloing is an extension of these principles.

So while that’s not all there is - always playing on the thirds is effective, in a way that wouldn’t be the case for uniformly using the other chord tones.

Of course that’s not to say you shouldn’t practice them that way (it’s a good exercise), it’s certainly not the case that all jazz uses the thirds all the time, and you will want to develop the ability to use other motions as well - like what pamos was discussing, but I think it’s worth putting some time just into the thirds…. If you are fluent at this, it may be a time to explore other options. As with all things!
    Last edited by Christian Miller; 11-09-2023 at 06:16 AM.

User Info Menu

Anyway. If all of that was as clear as mud (I got in from a gig at 2am last night - and there had been free cocktails), I’ll try and do a vaguely coherent video at some point. Basically it’s what jazzers call guide tones….

User Info Menu

Not all tunes are third heavy - one tune that doesn’t have any thirds much in at all though - Falling Grace by Steve Swallow. It’s almost like he avoided them.

In more old school rep, out of nowhere - which is mostly on the fifths, roots and ninths…

I find it interesting when you start to look at tunes this way.

Not all tunes are third heavy - one tune that doesn’t have any thirds much in at all though - Falling Grace by Steve Swallow. It’s almost like he avoided them.

In more old school rep, out of nowhere - which is mostly on the fifths, roots and ninths…

I find it interesting when you start to look at tunes this way.
    Ok, thank you. By the way, congrats for your playing. Very nice! Enrico

User Info Menu

This is what really drives me up the wall in this place.

There's this box, see, at the top of the YouTube site. If you type in 'parallel motion' suddenly you get this. It's a miracle. Whether you've had a cocktail or not.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otion+in+music

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    This is what really drives me up the wall in this place.

There's this box, see, at the top of the YouTube site. If you type in 'parallel motion' suddenly you get this. It's a miracle. Whether you've had a cocktail or not.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otion+in+music
    Scanning through the first dozen or so results, none of those videos are what Christian was talking about.

User Info Menu

You don't say :-)

User Info Menu

Also, quite honestly not all YouTube videos have a clue. Asking for recommendations is not unreasonable.

See also 'the butter notes' - thirds are especially buttery. Sevenths can be too...

User Info Menu

Also, quite honestly not all YouTube videos have a clue...
    This is …. Let’s say … very generous.

User Info Menu

Also, quite honestly not all YouTube videos have a clue. Asking for recommendations is not unreasonable.

See also 'the butter notes' - thirds are especially buttery. Sevenths can be too...
    Also my understanding of the butter notes was that Scofield thought they were thirds and sevenths. Herbie thought they were all the upper stuff.

BUTTER!