The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm also about half way through learning to play Nelson Faria's solo so will probably post that too some time soon...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well, there's nothing wrong with your timing when you know what you're going to play!

So presumably it's when you do your own solos that you hesitate. Presumably because you're not sure what you're going to play next.

Having heard quite a few of your own solos now there must be a reason for it. One thing that immediately comes to mind is that your own solos are very complex and not easy to play. You wouldn't want to dilute them but your brain/fingers can't always keep up.

However...

Since you can easily play the Mike Stern solo you could apply that idea to your own solos, right? If you wrote out your own stuff and then played it by memory you'd probably get round it happily.

I know that means not doing it on the fly but at least you'd be playing your own ideas. And if you did that a lot you might well get to the point when you could do them on the fly; your brain would adjust to the idea.

What do you think?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Well, there's nothing wrong with your timing when you know what you're going to play!

So presumably it's when you do your own solos that you hesitate. Presumably because you're not sure what you're going to play next.

Having heard quite a few of your own solos now there must be a reason for it. One thing that immediately comes to mind is that your own solos are very complex and not easy to play. You wouldn't want to dilute them but your brain/fingers can't always keep up.

However...

Since you can easily play the Mike Stern solo you could apply that idea to your own solos, right? If you wrote out your own stuff and then played it by memory you'd probably get round it happily.

I know that means not doing it on the fly but at least you'd be playing your own ideas. And if you did that a lot you might well get to the point when you could do them on the fly; your brain would adjust to the idea.

What do you think?
    Thanks - I wouldn't quite say that I can easily play this solo yet, there are two ascending triplet runs in the first chorus and one longer one in the second that still require attention. Hopefully by the time I have memorised Faria's solo I'll have the Stern one down a bit better.

And yes, I think you are right. Composing one's own licks, ideas and solos is the way forward.

User Info Menu

This sounds great! Those triplet lines are super clean and stuff too.

User Info Menu

interesting..im just playing a Blues in F..avoiding the Blues scale...in succession..Blues for Bart Doug Raney,Montgomery funk,Wes Sam Sack,Band in a Box Jazz Blues,will add some more...never a dull moment..but enough choruses to start lol