The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Hey. Anyone want to help me with transcription of this? I know it's pretty basic, and probably easy for you guys. But I get lost doing it. Would probably be easiest to read in tab. Would really appreciate the help!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wait, I thought you wanted to learn jazz?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Wait, I thought you wanted to learn jazz?
    He is playing an archtop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzpazz
    Hey. Anyone want to help me with transcription of this?
    I'll do it for you. Notation and/or TAB.

But you'll have to pay for it. £70 in advance. You okay with that?

User Info Menu

Well I think that tune would sound lovely in a guitar trio…

hmmmm

my pop covers jazz trio might have to happen. I reckon it’s a good wheeze for functions.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Well I think that tune would sound lovely in a guitar trio…

hmmmm

my pop covers jazz trio might have to happen. I reckon it’s a good wheeze for functions.
    I used to play Ingrid Michaelson and several Buck Owens tunes with my trio.

User Info Menu

What is a Buck Owens?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    What is a Buck Owens?
    Sigh. Brits.

Though the Beatles knew him well enough.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    Sigh. Brits.

Though the Beatles knew him well enough.
    I know what a Buck Owens is :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzpazz
    Hey. Anyone want to help me with transcription of this? I know it's pretty basic, and probably easy for you guys. But I get lost doing it. Would probably be easiest to read in tab. Would really appreciate the help!
    But I get lost doing it.
    Trigger Warning: pseudoscience ahead... you've been warned.

You need to get comfortable in this space, when you're lost and overwhelmed and feel like you should give up, that's when you do 5 more minutes. That point is when your brain is learning and really making new connections, but the brain is lazy, so it sends all kinds of signals for you to stop, you need to tell it to shut up and keep going. Teach your brain that you're going to learn things and it's just got to get over it. You need to get comfortable in that "forget it, I'll just give up" headspace because that's where it's at. It's fine to get frustrated and take a break, but push yourself just a little, one more note, one more bar, eventually you're doing one more key, or one more tune, and looking forward to it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Trigger Warning: pseudoscience ahead... you've been warned.

You need to get comfortable in this space, when you're lost and overwhelmed and feel like you should give up, that's when you do 5 more minutes. That point is when your brain is learning and really making new connections, but the brain is lazy, so it sends all kinds of signals for you to stop, you need to tell it to shut up and keep going. Teach your brain that you're going to learn things and it's just got to get over it. You need to get comfortable in that "forget it, I'll just give up" headspace because that's where it's at. It's fine to get frustrated and take a break, but push yourself just a little, one more note, one more bar, eventually you're doing one more key, or one more tune, and looking forward to it.
    Yeah I agree with this.

I call this practice face. When you try to do something and kind of frown and shake your head. You don’t want to do something that’s completely over your head, but that spot just past where you’re comfortable, where you start getting just a little frustrated is the sweet spot. If you’re not there, you might not be learning anything.

User Info Menu

You said you get lost doing it... Are you writing it down as you figure out each bar?

User Info Menu

Scared away another op!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    Scared away another op!
    They always leave when the answer is keep struggling it’ll get easier with time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    They always leave when the answer is keep struggling it’ll get easier with time.
    I just had this conversation with my 7 year old this morning "remember when your ABCs were hard...now you can read whole books!" Then we talked about hard things she has done that were fun in the end and how much more fun than if they had been easy. She didn't get it But we'll keep having this conversation for the rest of her life.

I love the challenge! If I can't do it, it's a matter of "yet" not a matter of "never". One day I will play like Jim Hall...just not yet. At least that's what I tell myself on this journey.

User Info Menu

Solo pianists have it easy. a pianist friend emailed me this today:
    Neural Net Masterclasses - YouTube

User Info Menu

I actually worked the OP arrangement out. Very nice tune and nice arrangement.
    I had pm'd the OP with a price to work it out but he never got back to me so I worked it out anyway as part of my ear training.