The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Could those of you with big ears help me with this Jimmy lick? Joey and my teacher Tony also play it. I chose the Joey version because he expands it completely.

Here at 2:14

Here at 1:30

The original Jimmy version at 2:05

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If you click the gear icon, you can slow down the playback without changing pitch. The processing power of the playback device seems to affect the options that will work. For example, the beefy CPU on my laptop will slow things down to .25x, but on the TV I can only go down to half speed. (Or maybe it's a bug in the YouTube app on my TV - at .25x I get video but no sound.)

I know, I'm still bad.

User Info Menu

I think the last one is:
    Descending F-D-Bb-F Then pedaling on F: A-F-Ab-F-G-Bb-G-F-C-F

So it's descending Bb triad in second inversion then G minor type of line.

I had to slow it down as it's played very fast. Some of the notes overlap with the left hand but I think it's right.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 08-05-2023 at 05:15 PM.

User Info Menu

I did the first one. Something like this:

Lick hep-img_0236-jpeg

Awesome! Thanks guys.

User Info Menu

Lick hep-joey_1-pngThis is from the first video. It is played in quadruple time swing feel, meaning sixteenth notes are straight, thirty-second notes are swung. I had to listen to it at quarter speed on YT to get it right. I did not notate which notes are played legato which is interesting because he groups the sixteenth in groups of three.

The whole thing is nothing really fancy; basically playing around a Gm9 arpeggio.

EDIT: I am not happy with the beaming in the last bar, have to dig deeper into Musescore ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    The whole thing is nothing really fancy; basically playing around a Gm9 arpeggio.
    That's what was killing me lol.

User Info Menu

BTW what makes transcribing Hammond lines by ear at very low speed really hard is that vibrato and Leslie rotation speed are distracting very much from the musical tempo. You have to really concentrate on the high hat to get the note values right. The fact that the drums in the Jimmy Smith example are playing ballad and double time feel simultaneously all the same time does not help much either. This is where probably a visual software comes in handy that lets you mark rhythmic spots.

Yep

User Info Menu

Jimmy, if your keys aren't at hand when you're at your computer...

Pop-up Piano
    Last edited by pauln; 08-06-2023 at 04:23 PM.