The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Years ago, when My Space was a prominent site, I posted a few brazilian styled jazz songs on there, and a gal from Rio De Janeiro named 'Bianca Rossini' contacted me and sent me a poem, in Portuguese, for me to put music to it.

I speak enough Portuguese that I was able to get a feel for the prosody of the lyric. (I took the Rosetta Stone course, took me 18 months to get through it).

This was the result, (arranged by Mark Nilan Jr, on piano). We had to change some words in the Bridge, but the rest was untouched, her words sprang a nice melody in my head. Usually, I write the music first. Please don't critique my guitar comping, I already know it's unremarkable. Usually, on my songs, I hire better guitarists than myself to perform on the tracks.

"Doce Amor"

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice tune. I'd like to take a crack at it, if you don't mind.

I think your comping was fine...interesting isn't always desirable on a vocal tune. You are syncopating your bass notes though, which gets you 40 lashes

I like the chord progression and melody quite a bit.

Piano sounds good, her vocals settle in nicely after the first few lines...only thing I don't like are the non human elements--the people involved were more than good enough to make this a winner.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Nice tune. I'd like to take a crack at it, if you don't mind.

I think your comping was fine...interesting isn't always desirable on a vocal tune. You are syncopating your bass notes though, which gets you 40 lashes

I like the chord progression and melody quite a bit.

Piano sounds good, her vocals settle in nicely after the first few lines...only thing I don't like are the non human elements--the people involved were more than good enough to make this a winner.
    A fair critique, thanks. The orchestration software in 2006, Mark Nilan, the arranger, tells me is vastly inferior to the virtual orchestra (strings, etc) he uses today. But, he's since advanced his career in hollywood such that I can no longer afford him.