The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Saw this online today:

Watch: Russia’s invasion of Ukraine through music by BBC Russia editor - BBC News

Apparently nobody at the BBC has heard this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiOPvOBd8IA

Considering that JB is one of England's national treasures, this isn't just egg on the BBC's face - they have regurgitated the whole breakfast.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

With all due respect to Beck, Cause We've Ended as Lovers is a Stevie Wonder composition. I hear similarities, but nothing over which to sue or take offense.

User Info Menu

starjasmine, what on Earth are you talking about? What has Jeff Beck got to do with the war in Ukraine? Are you saying there are similarities in Steve Rosenberg's music and Stevie Wonder's "Because we've ended as lovers?" Steve is a great reporter and amateur pianist, and he's composed from his heart. Not my cup of tea, but I'm pleased he's not just a jobbing journalist, he cares about the situation and is trying to say something through music that he can't say in his reports. Give him a break.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzshrink
    With all due respect to Beck, Cause We've Ended as Lovers is a Stevie Wonder composition. I hear similarities, but nothing over which to sue or take offense.
    Thanks - I was unaware that Stevie had penned the tune.

I didn't say anything about suing. But the first twenty seconds or so of Rosenberg's tune are the same motif, tempo and harmony that Beck used in his cover, which was a million-seller... hardly obscure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    What has Jeff Beck got to do with the war in Ukraine?
    Nothing. The story appears on the BBC website; Beck is an English national treasure. It seems that nobody at the BBC heard this piece and said "Hey, Steve, nice work but it's REALLY similar to another well-known tune. Maybe we shouldn't post this vid."
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Are you saying there are similarities in Steve Rosenberg's music and Stevie Wonder's "Because we've ended as lovers?"
    Yes.

User Info Menu

Well, I still think you are being harsh. But let’s move on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    Nothing. The story appears on the BBC website; Beck is an English national treasure. It seems that nobody at the BBC heard this piece and said "Hey, Steve, nice work but it's REALLY similar to another well-known tune. Maybe we shouldn't post this vid."

Yes.
    Maybe some at the BBC heard the similarities but didn't say anything because they understood why the song was composed and played the way it was. I.e. they have class and good sense.

And why on earth shouldn't the video be posted? Because you believe the song is somehow an insult to Beck?

Don't you know the old saying: To mimic someone is the highest degree of flattery. My gut tells me Beck wouldn't get his panties in a bunch like you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    Maybe some at the BBC heard the similarities but didn't say anything because they understood why the song was composed and played the way it was. I.e. they have class and good sense.

And why on earth shouldn't the video be posted? Because you believe the song is somehow an insult to Beck?

Don't you know the old saying: To mimic someone is the highest degree of flattery. My gut tells me Beck wouldn't get his panties in a bunch like you're doing.
    I don't think the mimicry was intentional. If it was, without attribution, then that is textbook plagiarism. But I did not accuse anyone of that.

I didn't really have any emotional reaction to the BBC piece other than, "Whoops." I simply pointed out what I thought was a gaffe on the part of the BBC; no more, no less.

"Class and good sense? Insult to Beck? Panties in a bunch?" You seem to be projecting your own emotional reaction onto me. I don't know why you are so insulted that you feel the need to be insulting. I wish you the best with sorting that out.

User Info Menu

Hmmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine

Considering that JB is one of England's national treasures, this isn't just egg on the BBC's face - they have regurgitated the whole breakfast.
    Hmmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Hmmm

You taught me something. Thanks

User Info Menu

Hmmm
    I raise you a noncommittal grunt

User Info Menu

Hmmm

The BBC is also a national treasure ....

Hmmm

The BBC is also a national treasure ....
    Must... not... take the bait...