The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Two simple samba comping patterns for guitar that allow you to stay out of the way of the bass and piano

Here are a couple samba rhythms inspired by Nelson Faria's great book.

In no way do I claim to be an expert on brazilian music or samba and I wrote these patterns to help myself but wanted to share them with you

One thing I want to mention is that most of the Brazilian and/or Latin rhythm guitar books use 4/5-note chords
    and the bass notes are a prominant part of the rhythm.

While this sounds great with a sparse rhythm section and nylon string guitar, it can be problematic playing an
    electric guitar with a full rhythm section, particularly with Piano and bass.

I like to simply the chords by playing the upper portions of the chords instead of the full 4 or 5 note voicings. This
    compliments the rhythm section and doesn't get in the way of the piano or bass.

Notice that these do have "bass lines", walking in 1/4 notes but they are voiced on the D string. Get comfortable
    playing off of the 1/4 notes and nail the time on those and the other rhythms will come together.

Play these fingerstyle or hybrid with the bass notes either with your thumb or the pick and the other notes with
    your other fingers

Remember, I give private lessons so hmu if you're interested. More info on my website.

check out my patreon @jackzucker

#sheetsofsound #brazilian #samba
    #jazzguitarlessons #guitarlessons
    #jazzguitar #modernjazzguitar #jazzguitarriffs
    #altereddominant

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice Jack...

Yea I've always liked Nelsons books.

I think when starting out... the stay out of the way approach works.... but when one starts to gets their act together, there really isn't a limit on how many notes. I mean the example ... I V II V ... Brazilian St Thomas style ... anyway Typically with most of the rhythm sections I work with the guitar is more important than the piano.

The feel is rhythmic... and guitars work better than pianos. So we all have out space... and parts. And even moving on... we usually play a few different variations of the Chord Patterns to help elevate the Form and Feel.

Hope your well and always love your posts... and playing, (the best on this forum).

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Nice Jack...

Yea I've always liked Nelsons books.

I think when starting out... the stay out of the way approach works.... but when one starts to gets their act together, there really isn't a limit on how many notes. I mean the example ... I V II V ... Brazilian St Thomas style ... anyway Typically with most of the rhythm sections I work with the guitar is more important than the piano.

The feel is rhythmic... and guitars work better than pianos. So we all have out space... and parts. And even moving on... we usually play a few different variations of the Chord Patterns to help elevate the Form and Feel.

Hope your well and always love your posts... and playing, (the best on this forum).
    Thanks for providing your expertise!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker View Post
    Two simple samba comping patterns for guitar that allow you to stay out of the way of the bass and piano

Here are a couple samba rhythms inspired by Nelson Faria's great book.

In no way do I claim to be an expert on brazilian music or samba and I wrote these patterns to help myself but wanted to share them with you

One thing I want to mention is that most of the Brazilian and/or Latin rhythm guitar books use 4/5-note chords
    and the bass notes are a prominant part of the rhythm.

While this sounds great with a sparse rhythm section and nylon string guitar, it can be problematic playing an
    electric guitar with a full rhythm section, particularly with Piano and bass.

I like to simply the chords by playing the upper portions of the chords instead of the full 4 or 5 note voicings. This
    compliments the rhythm section and doesn't get in the way of the piano or bass.

Notice that these do have "bass lines", walking in 1/4 notes but they are voiced on the D string. Get comfortable
    playing off of the 1/4 notes and nail the time on those and the other rhythms will come together.

Play these fingerstyle or hybrid with the bass notes either with your thumb or the pick and the other notes with
    your other fingers

Remember, I give private lessons so hmu if you're interested. More info on my website.

check out my patreon @jackzucker

#sheetsofsound #brazilian #samba
    #jazzguitarlessons #guitarlessons
    #jazzguitar #modernjazzguitar #jazzguitarriffs
    #altereddominant
    This is very practical, good stuff! Although, in all honesty, it's the piano and bass that should stay out of the way of the guitar when it comes to Brazilian music. Of course, it's not always the case, just a wishful thinking lol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive View Post
    This is very practical, good stuff! Although, in all honesty, it's the piano and bass that should stay out of the way of the guitar when it comes to Brazilian music. Of course, it's not always the case, just a wishful thinking lol.
    For sure...and particularly with an acoustic nylon string guitar too. But I definitely agree that on Brazilian music, the guitar should be leading the rhythm section...but life doesn't always work out that way.

Jack's example here is a great starting point for how to approach this stuff with an electric "jazz guitar" tone. The nylon string acoustic is a different timbre and occupies a different space.

Jim Hall handled the samba/bossa rhythms well on an electric guitar...but of course, it was also a quartet and he was the only instrument playing chords.

User Info Menu

Although, in all honesty, it's the piano and bass that should stay out of the way of the guitar when it comes to Brazilian music. Of course, it's not always the case, just a wishful thinking lol.
    First of all you have to tell it to the piano player. But I'm afraid he/she will stare at you and doesn't understand anything what you want to say.

User Info Menu

What's the saying? "You can always tell a piano player, but you can't tell them much."

User Info Menu

Yea...all the usual one liners etc.... But the simple fact is.... most guitarist suck. They can somewhat solo, but unless your the one..... most bands will get a sax etc... for heads and soloing.

Then... well there it is, most guitarist don't know what else to to do.

If you get your shit together, guitarist can generally comp as well.... better than most pianist. We can rhythmically and when you have great rhythmic skills... harmonically lock into feels, grooves and all the other shit better...
    and then..... we don't fill up all the musical space, we can still have dynamics.

But yea... most pianist don't listen because most guitarist... like I said know what else to do.

Vanilla or playing the simple shit can be an effect, something to use as variation, but it get boring real fast.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post

Vanilla or playing the simple shit can be an effect, something to use as variation, but it get boring real fast.
    ok, don't tell that to Brazilian musicians lol... they like their shit simple, harmonically for sure. Rhythmically there are SOME variations but nothing drastic. Samba is fun music played for people who want to have fun(dance)... in general. It's not bop or anything... although you can force it to be i guess... But I say viva ao Vanilla, muito obrigado!

User Info Menu

I have two of Nelson Faria's books. Brazilian Guitar Styles is the best guitar book I ever used. He breaks it all down and then brings it up to the level of some terrific stuff transcribed from important recordings. It gets you a long way towards playing this music. Inside the Brazilian Rhythm Section is more about band stuff -- and I wish the book was much longer and more detailed, but it's also a very useful volume.

One issue with talking or demonstrating samba is that it's a very broad topic. It has been around, in one form or another, for more than 100 years and includes a multitude of different styles. Not to mention that beats in songs are usually individual, not generic. Trying to categorize it is comparable to trying to describe rock music. It's just too diverse.

Some samba styles are relatively simple harmonically, but others are as adventurous as can be (check out Toninho Horta, for example). Some are relatively simple melodically, but others are the opposite (check out modern choro for one take on that).

Marco Pereira wrote a book on Brazilian guitar styles which works something like Jack's video. There are recordings and sheet music for dozens of grooves. They aren't dumbed down -- not a bit. The demonstrations are done at full speed and the fingerings can be tricky. But, you can slow them down and figure them out.

User Info Menu

ok, don't tell that to Brazilian musicians lol... they like their shit simple, harmonically for sure. Rhythmically there are SOME variations but nothing drastic. Samba is fun music played for people who want to have fun(dance)... in general. It's not bop or anything... although you can force it to be i guess... But I say viva ao Vanilla, muito obrigado!
    Vanilla -- muito legal!

User Info Menu

Nelson Faria's YouTube channels:

UM CAFE LA EM CASA - YouTube

Fica a Dica Premium - YouTube

Nelson Faria - YouTube

Use subtitles Portuguese auto-generated --> auto-translate English, works really OK to get the idea of what is talked about.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head View Post
    Nelson Faria's YouTube channels:

UM CAFE LA EM CASA - YouTube

Fica a Dica Premium - YouTube

Nelson Faria - YouTube

Use subtitles Portuguese auto-generated --> auto-translate English, works really OK to get the idea of what is talked about.
    yea thanks ... Great channel. I don't know if I would call the music Vanilla... LOL.
    I guess the difference is what type of Brazilian or latin music music or gig were talking about. I've worked dance gigs... yea... vanilla ... but the point is dancing etc... But most of the latin or Brazilian gigs are more in the direction of jazz gigs.... it's about the music and the musicians entertaining.... years ago latin and brazilian musicians seem to want to get Funky. LOL

Anyway thanks again for channel... I think I'll call some brazilian and latin tunes on next few nights gigs.