The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

I.e. the whole "Kind of Blue" thing. It makes for a lot of odd chord names. Is there a different, simpler, better nomenclature?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The So What chord, eg the first one here, is just E-A-D-G-B, Emin11. Not so bad.

User Info Menu

In my classical theory class we would mark quartal harmony thus:

BQ4, which is a chord built on perfect 4ths above a B note or

GQ5, which is a chord built on perfect 5ths above a G note.

The problem with calling that first chord that BD showed an Em11 is that an Em11 can be spelled in thirds and has a different sound than the quartal chords that BD wrote.

That first chord is actually a BQ4 in first inversion, i.e. move that high B down a couple octaves and you'll get all 4ths (the E A D G B to me isn't a 'perfect' quartal chord because of the 3rd on top). Yes confusing, the system is certainly not perfect. Also there is no indication with the chord symbol of how many 4ths (or 5ths) you are stacking.

BTW you can restack a quartal chord to make it a quintal chord. BD's chord could be repelled from E A D G B to G D A E B to make it a GQ5.

Also note that quartal and quintal chords are built off the penatonic scale, useful when considering your improvisation options. That first chord BD listed has every note of the E minor penatonic scale.
    Last edited by fep; 06-02-2010 at 08:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Just make a note on score or chart where you want voicings in fourths(4ths) and lead note(s). Any jazz player would know what your referencing. I sometimes give sample voicings at end of charts or at beginning of parts. It's a pretty standard sound from 60's etc... If you want specific voicings through out at tune... write them out... we read. Most of the time good players can play what your trying to write, usually much better. Best Reg

User Info Menu

I've seen it as the bass note (say A) followed by 4 (A4). I've also seen the RB use 7sus4 to designate it as well

Regarding the inversions, 3 note 4ths are usually called 4/2 or 2/4

GCF (root)
    CFG (42)
    FGC (24)

There is a ton of stuff you can do here. the most usefull to me is to add the octave and get a 4 note inversion. I could write for days about the posibilites etc but I'll keep it brief

CFGC

Then put a different bass note underneath (Like Eb)

Weather Report used this chord a lot on their Heavy Weather album but I can't remember the name of the specific tune where the intro is the above voicing moving around with a different bass note

For quintal I'll give you one of the chords that I like that I came up with by playing a 4 note quintal and adding an extra note (like what they do in So What. Quartal with a 3rd on top)
    [chord]

Ab Eb Bb F G ( 1 5 9 13 7 ) or Fmi11/Ab or.....

||---|---|-1-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
    ||---|---|---|---|---|-4-|---|---|---|---|---|
    ||---|---|-1-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
    ||---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
    ||---|---|---|---|---|-3-|---|---|---|---|---|
    ||---|---|---|-2-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|

[/chord]

User Info Menu

Check out Tom Floyd's, Quartal Harmony and Voicings for Guitar published by Mel Bay.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    In my classical theory class we would mark quartal harmony thus:

BQ4, which is a chord built on perfect 4ths above a B note or

GQ5, which is a chord built on perfect 5ths above a G note.

The problem with calling that first chord that BD showed an Em11 is that an Em11 can be spelled in thirds and has a different sound than the quartal chords that BD wrote.
    Interesting! I'll write BQ4Inv1 in my sheets for So What! from now on. That will make an interesting discussion

Why the Q? Intervals of 6ths and 7ths are not relevant?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gersdal
    Interesting! I'll write BQ4Inv1 in my sheets for So What! from now on. That will make an interesting discussion

Why the Q? Intervals of 6ths and 7ths are not relevant?
    Just like you stck 3rds to get triads, etc, you can stack any interval , such as 4ths and 5ths to get different types of harmony.

Stacking seconds gives you tone clusters. 3 note clusters are very do-able on guitar, 4 notes get tricky. There are not so many 5 note clusters and of course , require some open strings

A B C D E = X 12 10 7 0 0

You can change the C to C# as well as the D to D#

Stacking 6ths are really just inverted triads/seventh since the 6th interval is an inverted 3rd.

That leaves 7ths. You can get a 3 note chord C B A. If you have a good stretch and play hig up the neck you might be able to get another like F E D C. But that is still a big stretch.

You can also have compound octaves. (A Danny Gatton favorite) and then of course 9ths. ( C D E = 8 x12x x 12)

Again, tons of stuff to do with these. (Like run them through the scales to find all the possibilites)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW400
    Stacking seconds gives you tone clusters. 3 note clusters are very do-able on guitar, 4 notes get tricky. There are not so many 5 note clusters and of course , require some open strings

A B C D E = X 12 10 7 0 0
    Beautifull stuff. How are these notated?

Stacking 6ths are really just inverted triads/seventh since the 6th interval is an inverted 3rd.

That leaves 7ths. You can get a 3 note chord C B A. If you have a good stretch and play hig up the neck you might be able to get another like F E D C. But that is still a big stretch.

You can also have compound octaves. (A Danny Gatton favorite) and then of course 9ths. ( C D E = 8 x12x x 12)
    Great voicings. My question is really: Following fep's naming convention this chord should probably be called CQ9, and I'm ok with that. Still don't understand the Q, tho ...

Again, tons of stuff to do with these. (Like run them through the scales to find all the possibilites)
    Allan Holdsworth has a life worth of voicings to study in this line, and others..

Thanks

User Info Menu

Beautifull stuff. How are these notated?

Great voicings. My question is really: Following fep's naming convention this chord should probably be called CQ9, and I'm ok with that. Still don't understand the Q, tho ...

Allan Holdsworth has a life worth of voicings to study in this line, and others..

Thanks
    Hi Gersdal, Hows it going?

The Q stands for Quartal or Quintal.

I don't think that Q4 is going to cut it for jazz charts, it's a classical thing, jazz guys might not know what it means. The way I'd notate a quartal chord is to write out the chord and write "Quartal" above it. At least everyone will understand that way.

The only other classical one that I can remember is "S" which stands for secundal... those are for chords built on seconds.

User Info Menu

If I want a chord voiced a specific way, I use the good old black dots and sticks on the chart.

otherwise, I call 'em as I see 'em. The so what chord is an E-11.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Hi Gersdal, Hows it going?

The Q stands for Quartal or Quintal.

I don't think that Q4 is going to cut it for jazz charts, it's a classical thing, jazz guys might not know what it means. The way I'd notate a quartal chord is to write out the chord and write "Quartal" above it. At least everyone will understand that way.

The only other classical one that I can remember is "S" which stands for secundal... those are for chords built on seconds.
    Thanks.

Interesting method of notation. I would only use it to throw the pianist of the stool. I've already tried, and it did work . After a bit of laughter and other jokes, we agreed it was a good way of notating the chord and that we should never use it again .

I've seen notations like 2-4, 4-2 etc indicating the intervalls. A C 2-4 would then be C-D-G. Don't think this is standard notation, but a workable tool for one's own notations. A secundal voicing like the one JohnW wrote would then be notated A 2-1-2-2. The chord with ninth intervals would be C 9-9, I guess.

Even if I don't neccessarily plan to use it, it is always good to know if there are naming conventions for these type of chords.
    Last edited by gersdal; 06-03-2010 at 09:55 AM.

User Info Menu

I don't think I would ever use short hand for 2nd's , 5ths, 7th ect. I would write them out

Quartals however, can be related to some sort of tertial harmony. The G13 voiced G F B E (3x345x) has a quartal element to it. F B E A is an Fma7b5. So you would have to 'hear' it as quartal.

User Info Menu

F B E A is an Fma7b5. So you would have to 'hear' it as quartal.
    If I saw Fma7b5 I would probably play F-E-A-B.

[CHORD]

0|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
    ||---|-x-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
    ||-x-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|

[/CHORD]

User Info Menu

A lot of keyboard players use A F B E ( 5 x 3 4 5 x).

some refer to quartals by how they stack up

ADG = P/P or perfect / perfect.

The other possibilities are A/P (FBE) and Augmented/Perfect or P/A. (CFB)

The A/P is a "magic" chord and works for everything. You should try it with different bass notes and see what you come up with

User Info Menu

Yow! Thanks for all the replies.

Being a rank beginner, I had something very basic in mind. If you take the So What type chord, three fourths and a major third, you can use that as a pattern to harmonize a scale or a mode. Then you can name a chord with its position on the scale or mode. E.g. "the So What V chord of the D minor scale."

Still cumbersome but avoids amibiguity, or does it?

User Info Menu

When you see "G7" you have the flexibility to choose the details -- the inversion, what notes to omit or double, where on the neck to play it, extensions (9th etc...) alterations, substitution, you get the idea.

Are you looking for the same flexibility with quartal harmony, or would you be happier with "X77787"?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    When you see "G7" you have the flexibility to choose the details -- the inversion, what notes to omit or double, where on the neck to play it, extensions (9th etc...) alterations, substitution, you get the idea.

Are you looking for the same flexibility with quartal harmony, or would you be happier with "X77787"?
    What I'm trying to do for the present is to (1) invent arpeggios for the individual quartal chords and (2) mix them with arpeggios for standard chords just to smash everything together and see what happens.

This got started when I figured out how to play the melody of "Eleanor Rigby" using the So What chords in Dm.

x0556x x0778x x09910x x0556x x0223x etc.

Works well but I'm looking for better ways to handle the change to Bb and back down again. Passing chords, chromatic notes, etc.

User Info Menu

If I saw Fma7b5 I would probably play F-E-A-B.

[chord]

0|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
    ||-x-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|

[/chord]
    Not to change subject but by Fma7b5 do you mean Fma7#11, standard IV chord?

User Info Menu

The #11 would be C#. In this chord it's Cb or B

User Info Menu

The #11 would be C#. In this chord it's Cb or B
    Hey John...Fmaj7 .... #11 is B chord tones.. F G A B C D E F... Fmaj Lydian or chord built on 4th degree of Cmaj. ...#11 and b5 are same note,
    Best Reg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Hey John...Fmaj7 .... #11 is B chord tones.. F G A B C D E F... Fmaj Lydian or chord built on 4th degree of Cmaj. ...#11 and b5 are same note,
    Best Reg

ooops Sorry,

The eyes are starting to go.

I saw sharp 11 and thought you wrote #5. Hence the C# commentary.

It's either my eyes playing tricks or old age or both.

And yes as you correctly point out, you could use this chord as F ma7#11

To redeem myself here's a nice ma7 #11 that has a natural 5 in it
    [CHORD]

Ama7#11

||---|---|---|-1-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
    ||---|---|---|-1-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
    ||---|---|---|---|---|-3-|---|---|---|---|---|
    ||---|---|---|---|---|---|-4-|---|---|---|---|
    ||---|---|---|---|-2-|---|---|---|---|---|---|

[/CHORD]