The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg View Post
    can you hear what they are doing on this take? (hint: they play very basic changes):

slightly different chords, still super basic
    Btw, on these two recordings I've also checked the D7 on measure 2 and of course in both cases it's a Dm7 just like Christian explains it should be on his video about the Rhythm changes. I was expecting that and it seems odd that they went for D7 on the NRB precisely.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Alez, you need to stop playing with ideas and start playing it, or if not playing it then listen to it. If you think Dm is best, use it. If you prefer the sound of the D7, use it. And if you don't like it later you can change it, can't you?

Really, you're just wasting time. You could have easily got this tune by now.

User Info Menu

I appreciate your comment, but this was totally out of curiosity! I'm no longer very focused towards obtaining results in exchange for my efforts. I do whatever I find enjoyable these days. This particular tune is not really one I'd like to learn just now anyway.

But don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the advice and I do think it's good advice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alez View Post
    I appreciate your comment, but this was totally out of curiosity! I'm no longer very focused towards obtaining results in exchange for my efforts. I do whatever I find enjoyable these days.
    Like I said, wasting time.

This particular tune is not really one I'd like to learn just now anyway.
    You shouldn't have said that, not with all these good folks trying to help you out. Anyway, now we know.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    Like I said, wasting time.
    Fine! People use a Sunday night to watch subscription TV or bath kids, probably. I chill on the forum with a beer.

You shouldn't have said that, not with all these good folks trying to help you out. Anyway, now we know.
    Using the changes to practice chords on the piano is okay but I'm not aiming to learn the song just now, that's all. Is that not totally fine?

User Info Menu

Alez -

To be honest, I overlooked the post earlier on where you said you were trying things out on the piano. Nothing wrong with that, but I think you gave the impression you were interested in doing this tune and wanted to know the best way to connect the C to the Em. And nearly everybody here has replied in that spirit.

Perhaps if you only wanted an abstract discussion you should have made that clear rather than thanking people profusely for their suggestions which, of course, were geared to helping you play the tune. And then announce you weren't really interested in it at all!

Anyway, as I said, we are where we are now, so that's that. Perhaps you and Christian can continue together (possibly in the Theory section) because abstract harmony discussions seem to be his thing too. He'll soon be telling you what Bach would have done, no doubt. And good luck to you both :-)

User Info Menu

Perhaps if you only wanted an abstract discussion you should have made that clear rather than thanking people profusely for their suggestions which, of course, were geared to helping you play the tune. And then announce you weren't really interested in it at all!
    I would've thought post #19 gives a good idea.

Anyway, I'm very interested in it, just not in being able to make it one of the tunes I've learnt and I can play from memory, at least at this point.

Funnily enough, I was practicing it on the piano just now and I realised I now know the changes anyway, so I may give it a go after all.

Thanks again for all your help and sorry if I wasted your time, it was never my intention. Also note that all these suggestions, regardless of being geared to whatever, are very valuable to me.
    Last edited by alez; 04-15-2024 at 07:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alez View Post
    I would've thought post #19 gives a good idea.
    That was the one where you said about the piano, which I missed, to be fair.

Thanks again for all your help and sorry if I wasted your time, it was never my intention. Also note that all these suggestions, regardless of being geared to whatever, are very valuable to me.
    Well, let's not make too much of it. It wasn't so much my own reaction because, to be honest, I spotted it quite early, mainly because you're a trumpet player not a guitar comper. And you might have needed to know how to connect the chords for soloing ideas. But I think other people were trying their best for you.

And they probably don't care anyway, always the way :-)

User Info Menu

And you might have needed to know how to connect the chords for soloing ideas. But I think other people were trying their best for you.
    I wanted to know about this passing chord because I use bits of knowledge like this to devise my own framework. The thread has been extremely useful to me.

I will use the Theory subforum next time.

User Info Menu

Apologies and not looking for an argument but I feel like clarifying further.

I'm thinking that, in the end, all I've been saying boils down to this: the fact that I asked you to share your knowledge for a purpose that's not what you thought it was doesn't automatically make this purpose less worthy of your generous time and effort.

Out.