The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Hi there!

Just wanted to share some (just two for now) play alongs that I made. I'm working on my comping skills, so why not record the thing and post it so everybody can improvise over.

Here's a F Blues (Billies Bounce):

And Out Of Nowhere:

I'll try to do one every week, so let me know if you have any requests and of course I'm open to suggestions to improve.

Hope you'll enjoy!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Adam C.
    Hi there!

Just wanted to share some (just two for now) play alongs that I made. I'm working on my comping skills, so why not record the thing and post it so everybody can improvise over.

Here's a F Blues (Billies Bounce):

And Out Of Nowhere:

I'll try to do one every week, so let me know if you have any requests and of course I'm open to suggestions to improve.

Hope you'll enjoy!
    Great idea !
    I also create my own play alongs using iReal Pro. I like to create intros and endings to simulate a real performance. I also like to play around with Tempos and styles to alleviate the boredom can set in with playing with backing tracks.
    Let me know if you would like me to share them.

AA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    Great idea !
    I also create my own play alongs using iReal Pro. I like to create intros and endings to simulate a real performance. I also like to play around with Tempos and styles to alleviate the boredom can set in with playing with backing tracks.
    Let me know if you would like me to share them.

AA

That's great, yes! But I didn't get it if you're playing the comping? If yes, please share it, would be great to have more "human played" play alongs.

Best,

Adam

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Adam C.
    That's great, yes! But I didn't get it if you're playing the comping? If yes, please share it, would be great to have more "human played" play alongs.

Best,

Adam
    I usually practice melody, single note lines, comping etc.

My usual routine is to have the track loop 5 times:

Melody
    Solo
    Comping
    Another solo
    Melody

Sometimes I turn off the harmonic instrument to work on comping ideas

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Adam C. View Post

Best,

Adam

I should have listened to your recording before replying. My enthusiasm got the better of me.
    I am doing something different.
    I will send you a sample and you can let me know if it is appropriate for this thread.

AA

User Info Menu

Don't worry, but it's also not clear by the thumbnail on the videos, because yes, I put the screenshot of the rellevant iReal chord progressions but it's just to have the reference of the harmony.
    Otherwise let's say that it's heavily inspired by the backing tracks that MrSunnyBass does on YouTube but in a guitar version.

Of course, please do send me a sample, maybe it's going to be even a better idea!

Best,

Adam

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Adam C. View Post
    Don't worry, but it's also not clear by the thumbnail on the videos, because yes, I put the screenshot of the rellevant iReal chord progressions but it's just to have the reference of the harmony.
    Otherwise let's say that it's heavily inspired by the backing tracks that MrSunnyBass does on YouTube but in a guitar version.

Of course, please do send me a sample, maybe it's going to be even a better idea!

Best,

Adam
    Will do

User Info Menu

Days Of Wine And Roses:

User Info Menu

got rid of the real track piano on band in box .. replaced with Oliver Gannon comping....Real track 95...i feel better now....whats with the Hal Leonard play alongs..no melody sheet...bring your own...

User Info Menu

Hey Adam... cool and great ideas.

Some ideas to help,

Have a more organized plan for how your going to approach the tune...

Start with basic plan of how your going to work with the Form, the space or sections within the Form
    This usually involves... the big picture and then all the smaller parts of the picture reflecting and supporting what you want the big picture to be.

Example... break tune into three 4 bar sections.

Have a rhythmic pattern implied for the 1st 4 bars.
    Repeat that rhythmic pattern for 2nd 4 bars but with a variation on bar 8 to set up the last 4 bars which expands the rhythmic pattern of the two previous patterns and implies a Repeat of Form.

Bass lines on guitar generally suck... they are a tool or like an effect.... unless your actually playing bass. Usually only use to reinforce or imply the harmony and Rhythmic pattern and feel.

And... what you might want to start working on is Chord Patterns with Lead Lines that imply and expand single chords. These are another tool that jazz players use to develop relationships with... a Reference. Reference can be a single chord, a section of a tune, as in the 1st 4 bars of Billies etc...

Chord patterns imply a harmonic Target or chord.... but with a implied harmonic analysis that reflects the single chord in a context, the tune.

Example in a blues in "F" like Billie's... 1st two bars. Simple implied F13 implied II-V with sub approach to Bb13 and it's Diatonic and Functional sub.... D-7b5 (with chromatic approach chord C#-7b5) Also the lead line uses Blue Notes

X 6 7 7 6 X
    X 8 7 8 8 8
    X 8 7 8 8 10
    7 X 7 8 9 X

6 X 6 7 8 X
    X 4 5 4 5 X
    X 5 6 5 6 X

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Hey Adam... cool and great ideas.

Some ideas to help,

Have a more organized plan for how your going to approach the tune...

Start with basic plan of how your going to work with the Form, the space or sections within the Form
    This usually involves... the big picture and then all the smaller parts of the picture reflecting and supporting what you want the big picture to be.

Example... break tune into three 4 bar sections.

Have a rhythmic pattern implied for the 1st 4 bars.
    Repeat that rhythmic pattern for 2nd 4 bars but with a variation on bar 8 to set up the last 4 bars which expands the rhythmic pattern of the two previous patterns and implies a Repeat of Form.

Bass lines on guitar generally suck... they are a tool or like an effect.... unless your actually playing bass. Usually only use to reinforce or imply the harmony and Rhythmic pattern and feel.

And... what you might want to start working on is Chord Patterns with Lead Lines that imply and expand single chords. These are another tool that jazz players use to develop relationships with... a Reference. Reference can be a single chord, a section of a tune, as in the 1st 4 bars of Billies etc...

Chord patterns imply a harmonic Target or chord.... but with a implied harmonic analysis that reflects the single chord in a context, the tune.

Example in a blues in "F" like Billie's... 1st two bars. Simple implied F13 implied II-V with sub approach to Bb13 and it's Diatonic and Functional sub.... D-7b5 (with chromatic approach chord C#-7b5) Also the lead line uses Blue Notes

X 6 7 7 6 X
    X 8 7 8 8 8
    X 8 7 8 8 10
    7 X 7 8 9 X

6 X 6 7 8 X
    X 4 5 4 5 X
    X 5 6 5 6 X
    Hey, thank you so much for the ideas!

I have to agree with you about the organisation of the whole thing, I’m still struggling to achieve a whole picture with every part that makes sense with the other.
    I’ll try in the next one braking the tune into sections. Especially using lead lines and approach chords, I didn’t even think about it!

Although I have to say, that I kinda like some sort of “bass lines” on guitra or minimalistic things in comping, to leave the soloist space to put more harmonic stuff.

Thanks again, helps me a lot to improove comping!

Best, Adam

User Info Menu

Solar:

User Info Menu

Your sound is fantastic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr quick View Post
    Your sound is fantastic.
    Thank you so much!