The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Notes for a video based around the Kurt composition Under it All - at least the A section

The tweaked baroque harmony of Kurt Rosenwinkel-under-all-1-jpgThe tweaked baroque harmony of Kurt Rosenwinkel-under-all-2-jpgThe tweaked baroque harmony of Kurt Rosenwinkel-under-all-3-jpg

I've always liked this tune, This version is lush.

I notice Kurt often favours stepwise basslines. This is a complete descending scale in a way which is unusual in baroque music but relates to the 'toy music' of the Rule of the Octave, a concept in C18 music theory (many have encountered it via Rameau), and of course the various scales of chords many of us work on as improvisers.

I find the idea of a modern RO quite fun. I can also think of old school jazz RO's, Irish folk RO's, rock RO's etc...

the B section is interesting in a different way - maybe later :-)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well I guess I won’t be putting this out on my main channel haha *tumbleweed*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Cool tune to apply this too. Lots of 10ths, once again. Love this stuff for
    two and three part improv although it sounds much more baroque than jazz ( not that I mind ).

User Info Menu

Rosenwinkel is great and I love him. However, this video's performances has a "tentativeness" and a lack of togetherness...due to the way it was put together. I want to enjoy it, but can't. It feels like a paste-together job, because it was. I tried doing things like this during the pandemic and deleted all that I could, so that they wouldn't persist in normal times. To me, jazz is about interplay in the moment.

I get that you're discussing the theory. Is there a better recording? I ask, not to attack you, but because I would like to hear it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by enalnitram
    Rosenwinkel is great and I love him. However, this video's performances has a "tentativeness" and a lack of togetherness...due to the way it was put together. I want to enjoy it, but can't. It feels like a paste-together job, because it was. I tried doing things like this during the pandemic and deleted all that I could, so that they wouldn't persist in normal times. To me, jazz is about interplay in the moment.

I get that you're discussing the theory. Is there a better recording? I ask, not to attack you, but because I would like to hear it.
    tough crowd.

The original recording is on Star of Jupiter. I’m not sure if there’s any other versions.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    Cool tune to apply this too. Lots of 10ths, once again. Love this stuff for
    two and three part improv although it sounds much more baroque than jazz ( not that I mind ).
    Basically 10ths and 13ths…. Mix em up

GUITAR TIPS (Adam Levy): "Simple" COUNTERPOINT? Let's BREAK It DOWN! - YouTube

User Info Menu

What little I've listened to of Rosenwinkle has been very impressivfe.

How does he get that tone?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    What little I've listened to of Rosenwinkle has been very impressivfe.

How does he get that tone?
    Ha thereby hangs a tale

User Info Menu

Some bits of the first minute and a half of orchestra music may sound familiar to those who listened to McLaughlin's Apocalypse back in the day (London Symphony Orchestra, Michael Tilson Thomas, conducting).