The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Mine is (by a very wide margin) The Jazz Harmony Book by David Berkman. 15 stars out of 10!

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have two:

• "Jazz Theory: a creative approach" by Stan Kenton (foreword by Teddy Wilson)
    • "Grundlagenharmonik" by Werner Pöhlert, 6. edition from 2000

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rick5
    Mine is (by a very wide margin) The Jazz Harmony Book by David Berkman. 15 stars out of 10!

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Yea... totally agree. I remember when book came out... I pushed it here. It's great somewhat simple approach to actually be able to play jazz without too mush BS. And he can actually play...LOL

User Info Menu

I have to mention two more:

• Philippe Baudoin: "Jazz: mode d'emploi.", especially vol. 1 (of two)*)
    • Our Alan Kingstone's Barry Harris guitar method book was one of the things that helped me understand Barry's harmonic method better.

*) in French unfortunately;

The Pöhlert I mentioned above is in German, but you might find a used copy of the English translation of an older edition called "Basic Harmony", not sure if the latter includes several books by Pöhlert like the edition I mentioned above.
    Last edited by Bop Head; 02-17-2024 at 03:09 PM.

User Info Menu

I don't know if it's my favorite, 'cause I only have one, and just bought it at a used bookstore yesterday, but "Jazzology", a Hal Leonard textbook by Robert Rawlins and Nor Eddine Bahha, seems very complete.

It starts from the basics, quickly gets into jazz chords, scales and modes, on to structures, reharms, etc.. It's billed as being for all instruments, though it seems piano oriented. So far I'm using it for review and filling in some gaps, but it looks like further into it, it will cover stuff I should have learned in college (if I wasn't studying electronics!).

User Info Menu

I got the most from a book called Inside Outside by Reese Markevich a long time ago. I don't know where you could find it now. It's OOP.

User Info Menu

I was brought up old school on Vincent Persichetti's Twentieth Century Harmony which gave me a foundation beyond the traditional boundries of jazz and gave me fluency in language that is untapped in even the most out players. Solid groundwork.
    And Dave Leibman's A Chromatic Approach to Harmony and Melody is an excellent complement to the Persichetti. Leibman has an approach that is comprehensive enough to cover any treatment of the 12 notes in a context that paves the way for total harmonic/melodic freedom. It's a must have in my book.

These two books aren't jazz specific as far as a step by step to understanding how to play jazz, but are, rather volumes that will be a lifelong companion to what you can do as an evolving and advancing guitarist.

User Info Menu

OP - what do you mean by jazz harmony? Further context needed…

That said I probably wouldn’t be much help anyway because I didn’t really learn ‘jazz harmony’ from a book. I’m not sure there are books on a lot of the stuff I found most helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Hal Crook's "Ready, Aim, Improvise!" has enough info to keep you busy!

User Info Menu

The two that I always keep handy are:

Hal Leonard - Jazz Guitar by Jeff Schroedl

Alfred - Beginning Jazz Guitar by Jody Fisher