The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    This stuff works out differently when I'm a bassist than when I'm a guitarist.

The jazz cliche is that when the bassist solos -- in a cliche, that would be once per set -- every player must become whisper-quiet.
    That's the perfect thing for some people but I am not usually one of them.

I'm straightforward: "I have been providing you with musical accompaniment and energy all through this tune / set / night. Now it's your turn to do that for me. There are many ways to separate intensity from volume and if you feel that it is most musical for you to play softly right now I respect that. But at whatever volume, bring your full range of intensity to your accompaniment of my bass solo. In short words, 'Do not hang me out to dry.' "

@Cunamara, y'know, you could take this band as a challenge to work on aspects of soloing that you enjoy. For example, you might find that you like trading fours with the saxophonist. Just a thought . . .
    I've played bass in a jazz setting since the early 70s - initially electric then upright from early 90s.
    I played in a band for a while where the drummer thought in was a good idea to hit 4 in a bar on his crash (or ride?) cymbal during my solos. My timing isn't that bad! I usually stopped playing but he never got the message.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    I've played bass in a jazz setting since the early 70s - initially electric then upright from early 90s.
    I played in a band for a while where the drummer thought in was a good idea to hit 4 in a bar on his crash (or ride?) cymbal during my solos. My timing isn't that bad! I usually stopped playing but he never got the message.
    On the first break, I'd have asked him gently to please not do that so frequently. I'd have complimented him on his playing before telling him that the regular crash on 4 was a bit hard for me to work around. I'd tell him that I'd try to work around them and would appreciate his cutting back on them. The alternatives if he won't cooperate are all obvious and less pleasant.

How do you communicate your desired role in a band with the other musicians?-hate-anger-gif

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    On the first break, I'd have asked him gently to please not do that so frequently. I'd have complimented him on his playing before telling him that the regular crash on 4 was a bit hard for me to work around. I'd tell him that I'd try to work around them and would appreciate his cutting back on them. The alternatives if he won't cooperate are all obvious and less pleasant.

How do you communicate your desired role in a band with the other musicians?-hate-anger-gif
    Yes, I should have! I did ultimately ask the band leader not to offer me a solo.
    BTW I think the little girl handled it perfectly

User Info Menu

The piano part is hard if you don't rehearse with him. I play with a piano player and two horn players. I play with the same guys all the time, so we discuss some of this stuff in advance. I always set up right next to the piano player on gigs so we can hear each other well and communicate if needed. If I start comping, he will either lay out or play some very sparse fills and vice versa. We just trade off comping on most tunes, but some tunes I will basically function like a third horn player. If you just want to comp, it will be interesting.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    I think the little girl handled it perfectly
    I hope so - she’s been our vocalist for years…..