The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 32

User Info Menu

In bars 3 and 4 of the A section I feel I can hear in my head quite a lot of harmonic movement.
    I can't fathom it out though. There's something going on in the Dick McDonough solo version.
    Can anyone suggest some interesting chords/ chord voicings on each beat where I have the ?s. TIA
    Gm7/C7/ Gm7/C7/ Gm7/?? ???? F/ etc

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I usually play a little 4’n’ back

F6 F7/A Bb Bo7 F then Am7b5 D7
    or
    F6 F7/Eb Bb/D Bbm/Db F/C D7

either way is cool

User Info Menu

Dunno what Dick does. Will listen in later

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    I usually play a little 4’n’ back

F6 F7/A Bb Bo7 F then Am7b5 D7
    or
    F6 F7/Eb Bb/D Bbm/Db F/C D7

either way is cool
    Thanks but isn't what you've suggested from bar 5? Cheers

User Info Menu

Oh sorry, yes, didn't read the OP properly. Sorry!

User Info Menu

This might throw some light on it. There's another vid of another player playing exactly the same thing. I think they're both reading it from the same transcript, so there is a transcript out there. You can slow it down even further on YT, of course.

User Info Menu

Here's one site which names a book. Scroll down to see it.

Transcriptions – Jazz Guitar Duets

Honeysuckle Rose Chord suggestions please-hr-jpg

There appear to be two versions of the book. But personally I'd get it off the video!

The Great Jazz Guitarists By Ivor Mairants | Used | 9781860742484 | World of Books

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Jazz-.../dp/1860742440

User Info Menu

Garybaldy, putting likes on all this doesn't say much! What exactly are you looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Garybaldy, putting likes on all this doesn't say much! What exactly are you looking for?
    Thank you for your input. When I have a moment I shall look into your suggestions , which look to be on the right lines.
    I hope to find that transcription and in the meantime analyse the video that you kindly posted.
    Thanks again.

User Info Menu

I wasn't fishing for thanks but I thought I got a sort of 'yes, but...' feeling! Good luck with it anyway.

Just found this. Possibly a Eureka moment!
    honeysuckle-rose.pdf (wordpress.com)

User Info Menu

Ah! Well done, I missed it! I suppose you check it out with the recording now... Hope for the best

Ah! Well done, I missed it! I suppose you check it out with the recording now... Hope for the best
    Also found this!
    It'll keep me quiet for a while

User Info Menu

Good god. Definitely different!

User Info Menu

Most bebop classics are contrafacts which add passing chords to older tunes, but not here:

User Info Menu

The pdf is definitely DM's recording. Saved :-)

User Info Menu

Here's my transcription of Dick McDonough's take on Honeysuckle Rose. It was published years ago by the defunct magazine, Just Jazz Guitar.

Incidentally, this recording is possibly the first recorded instance of solo jazz guitar (if you discount Eddie Lang's more straight ahead pop and classical music arrangements).

Honeysuckle Rose Chord suggestions please-hr1-jpgHoneysuckle Rose Chord suggestions please-hr2-jpgHoneysuckle Rose Chord suggestions please-hr3-jpgHoneysuckle Rose Chord suggestions please-hr4-jpgHoneysuckle Rose Chord suggestions please-hr5-jpgHoneysuckle Rose Chord suggestions please-hr6-jpg
    Last edited by PMB; 01-12-2024 at 09:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Bravo! Can't do better than that. Search over

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    Here's my transcription of Dick McDonough's take on Honeysuckle Rose. It was published years ago by the now defunct magazine, Just Jazz Guitar.

Incidentally, this recording is possibly the first recorded instance of solo jazz guitar (if you discount Eddie Lang's more straight ahead pop and classical music arrangements).

Honeysuckle Rose Chord suggestions please-hr1-jpgHoneysuckle Rose Chord suggestions please-hr2-jpgHoneysuckle Rose Chord suggestions please-hr3-jpgHoneysuckle Rose Chord suggestions please-hr4-jpgHoneysuckle Rose Chord suggestions please-hr5-jpgHoneysuckle Rose Chord suggestions please-hr6-jpg
    Excellent post thank you.

User Info Menu

Gary -

You realise we're all expecting a dramatic solo from you now? :-)

Gary -

You realise we're all expecting a dramatic solo from you now? :-)
    Please be very patient!

User Info Menu

Yeah, that's me!!

User Info Menu

Hey garybaldy,

I was just messing around with the A section and came up with this:

Gm7 / C7 / | Gm7 / C7 / | Gm7 / F#m7 B7 | Bbmaj7 Bb6 Em7 Ebmaj7 | Dm7 / G7 / | Gm7 / Bb/C / |
    1._______________________ 2.______________________
    F6 / Bb7 / | Am7 / Ab7 / :|| F6 / Gm7 / | Abo7 / F/A A7 ||

The move to relative minor in bar 5 is pretty cool and keeps things moving against the repetitive nature of the melody. Is that the kind of thing you had in mind?

A similar approach could be transferred to the bridge (starting out from the relative minor):

Dm7 / G7 / | C#-7 F#7 F7 B7 | Bb7 / Cm7 / | C#o7 / Bb7/D / |
    Em7 / A7 / | Ebm7 Ab7 G7 Db7 | C7 / Dm7 / | Ebo7 / C7/E / ||
    Last edited by PMB; 01-16-2024 at 03:03 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    Here's my transcription of Dick McDonough's take on Honeysuckle Rose. It was published years ago by the defunct magazine, Just Jazz Guitar.

Nice! I always admired that recording but never transcribed it. I didn't realise it was the first solo jazz guitar arrangement.